Winter Tyres- prime solution for vRS

Well I'm glad you've thought it over and made your decision not to use them. Others have done a similar thing and chosen to fit them.

Neither of you are right or wrong, you've just made a different decision.

cheers, Steve

I did think about it once, about two years ago, when it was a bad winter. You can bet the bloke I know is 'Starting to think about fitting those winter tyres and wheels' :-)

• Like 1

I just take the wife's mk1 mx5 when the weathers bad. Its light, nimble, has a proper torsen LSD and its not worth too much lol. Also I haven't got it stuck yet even on the 30mile round trip to work. I must admit I've been looking at winter wheels for the vrs just to protect my Geminis

Those that use them definitely have to invest money in a set of rims and tyres but overall the cost of the wear across the 2 sets of tyres is only a little more and probably well worth the improved grip. Average out the cost of the rims over a few years of use..... If I had to drive in bad conditions (I don't usually, I can easily leave the car at home) I'd probably get a set of winter tyres.  The slight extra cost for the decreased risk can only be assessed by the individual based on how much risk of HAVING to drive in bad conditions is.

• Like 3

Never used them, never will. Waste of time and money in this country. We have had two bad winters in the last how many?? Winter tyres would have made bugger all difference to the journey i attempted two years ago. I just looked at the conditions and turned around and went home.

Makes me laugh.. a bloke I know obsesses over WINTER TYRES AND WHEELS.. Last year he had them on his Audi well into to May in the desperate but futile hope that he could justify the expense in an annoyingly anoraky way.

Maybe not everyone lives in same area as you and others value the safety aspect.

If you don't want it need them great. Does make them a bad idea for everyone else

Also, anyone wanting to take winter holiday to the mountains (think skiing) will feel alot happier and be legal (provided they are marked M&S)

M&S means nothing - it doesn't indicate it is a winter tyre - just an indication of an open tread pattern.

A winter tyre has the three peaks mountain and snowflake symbol on it.

Never used them, never will. Waste of time and money in this country. We have had two bad winters in the last how many?? Winter tyres would have made bugger all difference to the journey i attempted two years ago. I just looked at the conditions and turned around and went home.

Makes me laugh.. a bloke I know obsesses over WINTER TYRES AND WHEELS.. Last year he had them on his Audi well into to May in the desperate but futile hope that he could justify the expense in an annoyingly anoraky way.

6+ car lengths braking distance improvement over equivalent summer tyres when used under 7 degrees C is a fairly good reason to use them...

Not all about snow.

• Like 2

Still can't believe we are having threads on are winter tyres good?...................... :wall: ...................I've had two sets of alloys for the past 4 winters..............

I'll be selling a set of OEM VW Dijon 17x7 with 225/24 R17 91W tyres later on in November.............................from my new car (Golf Estate) as I'm having two sets of TD PR alloys made up.............one for winter & one for summer... :love:

• Like 1

Guest Cossiecol

If you are just driving in the UK, why bother with winter tyres?

Dirven in Scotland much? Where I stay the roads don't get gritted and as I work for myself if I don't work I don't get paid. So yes I think winter tyres are required at least for me.

Dirven in Scotland much? Where I stay the roads don't get gritted and as I work for myself if I don't work I don't get paid. So yes I think winter tyres are required at least for me.

Maybe his statement is more valid after next Thursday :D

I still think a lot of the anti-winter tyres guys miss the point a bit. They are not only better on snow and better on ice. They are also better at lower temperatures when there is no snow or ice. For a lot of folks in the UK, that means a safer commute to work in the morning during December-February.

• Like 2

I still think a lot of the anti-winter tyres guys miss the point a bit.

I think the main point they're missing is that it's not their tyres. So who cares?

I think broccoli is a waste of time, but I don't need to vent every time someone says they're cooking it. Same with Cauliflower - I mean, why would you? But I don't preach the benefits of cake every time the missus chucks a cauliflower cheese in the oven.

I like the idea of winter tyres as:

• They're better in colder weather, snow and ice (regardless of how much better, they're still better)
  • They allow me time with a set of wheels off the car to clean, seal and wax without the effort of doing it on the car, or one at a time with a jack and a spare wheel
  • The wear between the two sets means that I can spread the cost of tyres a little bit more

The only problem I have and the reason I'll probably not have a set is the initial outlay of a set of wheels (that need to look decent if they're on for half a year) and the winter tyres (which need to be decent or it's not worth any of it). I can't really justify an extra grand after just buying the car.

So for me, it'll be next winter. But at least I can then assess the difference it would have made and decide if it was worth the cost. :)

• Like 1

I think broccoli is a waste of time, but I don't need to vent every time someone says they're cooking it. Same with Cauliflower - I mean, why would you? But I don't preach the benefits of cake every time the missus chucks a cauliflower cheese in the oven.

I love this :-)

Spend an extra £10 per corner and get the TS850 - excellent winter tyre

Looked at those but the UltraGrip 9 is supposed to be slightly better than TS850 and a good improvement over last years ultragrip 8:

http://www.largus.fr/actualite-automobile/test-exclusif-le-nouveau-pneu-hiver-goodyear-ultragrip-9-a-lessai-3778380_p_2.html

To be honest, any decent tyre in combination with 4x4 should be good for an English winter.