Fabia vRS Range

SteVRs

With all the panic about fuel protests and so on, I wondered what the range on the vRS could be stretched to. With a journey from Bournemouth to Leicester to do this morning and no rush, I decided to see how I could get on.

After covering 177 miles I had 510 left in the tank (alledgedly) with a journey average of 65.1mpg* :thumbup: This equates to a range of approx 680 miles given the right conditions, anyone ever got anywhere close to this?

*This is a door-door figure, averaging about 60mph with a fair bit of slipstreaming.

I get around 450 miles per fill up on average which works out around 47 mpg. I get around 52-54 mpg on a run out somewhere but that's usually cruising around 50-70 mph.

This is about what I get... I have averaged 48.2 since my 10k service 1500 miles ago. However, just after a fill up it always says over 500 miles range... :thumbdwn:

I get about 320 miles from a full tank (not filling the expansion thingywhatsit - I stop at the first "click" of the pump) until the light comes on.

This is brisk A and B road driving... Motorways at the national speed limit are a totally different kettle of badgers!

How do you fill the expansion tank? and also what is this light thingy you mention?

From previous threads:

My best ever run was a trip from Gloucester to Bath - part urban, part motorway, part A road. The trip computer showed 63.8mph for the journey. The trip computer is ALWAYS overreading by between 2 and 4 mpg on every fill - hence the Bath trip was an actual 61mpg journey or thereabouts. However it wasn't a "particualry" economy drive...

Last Wednesday returning from Addlestone along the M25, the computer average read 69.1mpg, the highest I've ever seen, when I got to the M4 junction after 11 miles - dropped to around 58mpg by the time I got home 100 miles later...

This is all a bit premature isnt it. It will come to nothing. The protest is NOT going to happen in the same way as before. How can the Chancellor cut tax just because the price goes up. Its the oil companies and their vast profits that need targetting

This is all a bit premature isnt it. It will come to nothing. The protest is NOT going to happen in the same way as before. How can the Chancellor cut tax just because the price goes up. Its the oil companies and their vast profits that need targetting

It's the government's taxing that makes the price of petrol high. The fuel companies make about 4p per litre sold and the fourcourts make about 4p per litre too. The government takes the other 92p per litre. If you think bp etc... are raking in the dough just think how much the government are getting.

Instead of working out ways to pay for stupid domes and crappy olympics, dodgy dealings. The government look at what most people in the country need to buy to go about there lives then stick a massive tax increase on it. they are all ******s.

With all the panic about fuel protests and so on' date=' I wondered what the range on the vRS could be stretched to. With a journey from Bournemouth to Leicester to do this morning and no rush, I decided to see how I could get on.

After covering 177 miles I had 510 left in the tank (alledgedly) with a journey average of 65.1mpg* :thumbup: This equates to a range of approx 680 miles given the right conditions, anyone ever got anywhere close to this?

*This is a door-door figure, averaging about 60mph with a fair bit of slipstreaming.[/quote']

How does anyone manage to get this ?

Is it just because my engine only has 2.5k on the clock that I can only get a MAXIMUM average on a clear motorway run of 54 to 55 ??

Thats with MINIMAL acceleration / braking possible, on a stretch of motorway thats pretty flat, but on average slightly downhill.

I canot figure out how some people can get 65mpg average.

That means most of the time, the 'current' mpg is reading about 65 - sometimes more, sometimes less.

i HAVE to be going downhill slightly to get that economy.

confused.....

Is it just because my engine only has 2.5k on the clock that I can only get a MAXIMUM average on a clear motorway run of 54 to 55 ??

Thats with MINIMAL acceleration / braking possible' date=' on a stretch of motorway thats pretty flat, but on average slightly downhill.

That means most of the time, the 'current' mpg is reading about 65 - sometimes more, sometimes less.

confused.....[/quote']

I share your confusion mate. I was getting around 52mpg on a motorway run... but now run in I can get 56mpg average on the same run (11k miles). Struggle to see how 65 is achievable though... :confused:

Not a hope of hitting 50mpg average on the M4 on the stretch I have to use. Too much up/down hill stuff. This is at 70 mph. On the dot. No faster. I can get it up :naughty: to 50+ mpg if I drop to about 60 mph but I just cant take that ;)

Most of the time if I stay within reasonable 'not-quite-banned' territory it will do an easy 35 mpg, often around 42ish mpg average over the whole trip which includes a bit of town-driving (where I never go over the speed limit which is 30/40 depending).

Thats with MINIMAL acceleration / braking possible' date=' on a stretch of motorway thats pretty flat, but on average slightly downhill.

confused.....[/quote']

I used to wonder the same, but since passing the 10k mark by MPG has increased significantly. I do mainly town and fast A-road driving and the overall computer MPG is sitting at 51mpg. I can hit 60-65mpg max on a run across town later at night (say at this time), if you can be smooth and stick (reasonably close) to the limit. On a 15 minute journey across town tonight for example, I average 55mpg with the traffic flowing pretty well.

I've been taking it easier since all the talk of shortages, which I suppose is no bad thing as it saves me money! And it only generally adds a couple of minutes to any short to medium journies.

So your consumption should reduce as the engine loosens up.

Steve

Stop using your cruise control, if you want better fuel economy. Crusie contol cannot anticipate traffic or road conditions, so its always less efficient. I can usually do 10-15% better with my right foot compared to cruise control.

Agreed - if you're in fairly busy traffic, especially with people's m/way lane discipline these days :rolleyes:

But say I leave Manchester for Glasgow at 7.30pm (i.e. it's a quiet run!) and set the cruise, I get better economy than if I didn't use it. I'm especially sure of this as I did the run a couple of times before getting cruise retro-fitted ;)

Steve