Thought the new LAND ROVER will look different?

The Freelander name does not exactly have a name of reputation and quality...  especially in the USA and Europe. So I think that is mainly why LR is moving away from those connotations.

Also the reason the Discovery is called the LR3 in the USA.

Most Land Rover products have suffered from reliability and build quality issues previously.

I certainly wouldn't buy a new one.

Before Skodas I always used to buy them around a year old one.

The first owner has had the please of losing a large chunk of cash and having a few visits to get all the bits stuff back on that fell off.

Exactly why they'll sell loads.

"Oh, it looks like a Range Rover"

I left the brand when they started all that sillyness and the Ewok came out.

Mind you, hard to criticise when all Skodas are being made to look so similar.

I am starting to find car design rather tedious.

Design and build your own :) only available in one colour preferably

Also the reason the Discovery is called the LR3 in the USA.

Make that LR4 Bossfox...  The Freelander is called LR2.  There is no LR3 in the US LR lineup anymore - it was the previous Discovery 3.

Interesting Q&A here:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/how-new-land-rover-discovery-sport-was-designed

This Disco Sport is only 91mm longer than the Freelander, yet it is 39mm shorter than the Audi Q5 BUT it has class leading boot space AND seven seats.

• 2 months later...

Well it gets a VERY good review:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/land-rover/discovery-sport/first-drives/2015-land-rover-discovery-sport-review

And a before options price of £35,000 makes it exactly the same price as a fully loaded Škoda Octavia 185DSG Scout.

Just that rear...  not used to that chinlessness yet. And the two big eyes...  but I will get used to that I guess.

I totally lost interest in  the LR range when I read an artcile on the later Defender. The throttle had gone to fly by wire, and the rheostat was on the floor under the pedal. Right where the water goes when wadind!!

The Defender uses a "fly by wire" system and I've been in them with water over the bonnet with no problems.

The fording depth of this vehicle is 500mm, and from my experience most owners will have chickened out well before they get to that depth! On my old Freelanders I went well over the recommended fording depth and never got any water inside the cabin. LR have actually sorted out their sealing "problems" with (seemingly) everything bar the Defender. 

• 5 months later...

Firstly new here so be gentle.

I have spent the last couple of hours browsing the forum having just joined - learnt LOADS about the yeti - and then I came across this post

Yeti ordered 3 weeks ago - from stock - delivery in the next 10 days I reckon -I will give an update when it arrives.

Why did I buy a Yeti - to replace the wife's Freelander 2.

I have been a loyal LR customer for 20 years, I have a Discovery 4, Freelander 2 and a Defender 90 in the stable.

When LR announced they were replacing the Freelander with the Disco Sport my heart sank.

My wife loves her Freelander but having driven a few Evoques - we do not like them - so the Disco Sport got a big thumbs down.

Also agree that Disco Sport is an Evoque clone and to get anything close to her Freelander spec is the thick end of £43,000 - ouch. 

So very much looking forward to the Yeti - deffo need the 4 wheel drive where we live as well - plus has the Yeti has 'character' sadly missing in the line up of cars today

• Like 1