Wahey! New Octy Vrs

Jono

Well my new toy arrives a week on Saturday and I wondered if your distilled wisdom can point me in the right direction.

1) Like the idea of the 2 stage central locking feature, any other little tweaks like this that I might want to ask the dealer to adjust for me?

2) I'm planning to keep this car for quite a while so preventative/protective things are high on my list...

anyone find any of these valuable:

a) fabric protectors for the silver mesh and the scarily light coloured carpet. Scotchguard or that teflon stuff from halfords?

B) Sill protectors, expensive? easy to fit?

c) front mudflaps, again, expensive? easy to fit?

d)Anyone seen any black car-rugs or ones that look the part for packing the boot/dirty passengers etc. for a good price anywhere?

e) Any ways to protect the boot-sill, I do a fair bit of lugging chests/boxes/Pointy metal stuff around.

3) whats this I hear about the alloys welding themselves on?

4) Now frankly I'm a Lazy bugger and being a black-magic man this will make cleaning a pain.

Anyone have any lazy prevention-better-than-hard-work type tips for polishes/washes?

5) Im assuming the suggestion from mfrs of modern cars that no running in is required, is just a way to get you buying a new car again faster....

Just how "gentle" should I be, and for how long?

6) Anyone know where you can get realistic, or even REAL "Tracker" stickers as a deterrent?

7) Do the back seats suffer much when laid flat with heavy stuff on them?

8) How careful should I be, exactly, near Rutted tracks, speedbumps and high curbs.

9) Any tips for pick-up day, any things I should look out for or check particularly carefully?

Already I have the Skoda-Grin, you know the one where I see a

I think there a couple of options you could ask the dealer to set, but to be honest, I can't remember any - try doing a search (god knows what search keywords you'd try though!) :D

B) I *think* Stopan1J has sill protectors on his vRS - they looked quite nice, and I don't think too expensive...

d) and e) Halfords probably do stuff like that for boot protection / lining...

3) If not looked after the wheel nuts (I think) can get stuck, same as on most other cars...

4) Employ a local youngster or OAP to clean the car!

5) You have to run it in a bit - brakes and all that...

Hope you enjoy the car! (You git!) :)

Thanks stimps.

Hey another question...

Lockable wheel nuts, someone was critiscising the VAG ones on here,any tips for additional locking nuts? prices? suppliers? reviews?

Jono

6) Anyone know where you can get realistic, or even REAL "Tracker" stickers as a deterrent?

Try abgraphics.co.uk. I think they do tracker stickers.

8) How careful should I be, exactly, near Rutted tracks, speedbumps and high curbs.

VERY:eek:

Lockable wheel nuts, someone was critiscising the VAG ones on here,any tips for additional locking nuts? prices? suppliers? reviews?

Halfords do them, don't know how good they are?

All the best with the new beast:cheers:

My standard ones have been fine. Think the wheel thing related to "bonding" between hub and wheel, light coat of copper slip will prevent, mainly on the rears IIRC

Des and John S both have polythene on their carpets, not my cup of tea.

My seats are a right state, but bearing in mind my mileage I think they are just the right side of scummy :D

I'll do more answers tomorrow as I need sleep......

Originally posted by Jono in this post

Well my new toy arrives a week on Saturday and I wondered if your distilled wisdom can point me in the right direction.

1) Like the idea of the 2 stage central locking feature, any other little tweaks like this that I might want to ask the dealer to adjust for me?

You can also have autolock...usefull anti hijack!

2) I'm planning to keep this car for quite a while so preventative/protective things are high on my list...

anyone find any of these valuable:

a) fabric protectors for the silver mesh and the scarily light coloured carpet. Scotchguard or that teflon stuff from halfords?

whatever you do...don't go supaguard or diamondbrite -- biggest rip-off in the trade!

B) Sill protectors, expensive? easy to fit?

Not expensive,straightforward-or you could use paint protecting film - available demon-tweeks,folitec

c) front mudflaps, again, expensive? easy to fit?

Approx

Extras I got fitted as part of my new vRS deal, which answers some of your queries:

Mudflaps.

Headlamp protectors.

Door sill protectors.

Rubber boot mat.

The latter had to be ordered in, but I've already had all sorts in it, and you just wash it off. It's just great! A bit slippery though, so bungees and that luggage net thing come in handy.

Posted earlier:

"Now frankly I'm a Lazy bugger and being a black-magic man this will make cleaning a pain. Anyone have any lazy prevention-better-than-hard-work type tips for polishes/washes?"

As posted some time ago here's an old chauffeurs trick, works especially well with black & other dark colours. Wash car with lots of water & suitable cleaner (I personally use Halfords own & find it OK but definately not fairy liquid), at same time soak chamois (real not artificial) in a bucket of cold water with 2 dollops of white vinegar added. Dry off as normal with chamois rinsing regularly. This should be OK for weekly task. If after applying your favourite polish you find it leaves "swirl" marks use the following trick to put right. Soak real chamois in water as hot as you can stand your hands in (I borrow her marigolds for this job, not pretty but saves the blisters!) along with the obligatory dollops of white vinegar. Use a clean sponge and gently "wash" a panel at a time working from top to bottom taking care to dry immediately and ensuring chamois is rinsed regularly. This will get rid of all "swirl" marks and "seal" the new polish. Hope this tip is of some help to all.

Regards,

Mark.

x London Chauffeur with numerous contacts in the funeral trade,,,all with Black shiny cars!!!

I Finally pick up the beast on Saturday!

Dropped off some paperwork @ the dealership yesterday and saw it in the flesh.... filthy and covered in plastic wraps!

Cant wait...

Anyone want to buy a Focus Zetec, 3dr, 99T, 35K, black hatch? thats the next job to do...