Air Conditioning Service?

My Skoda dealer just called me and said it's time for my Air Conditioning Service. I've had my Fabia Elegance DSG for 2 years and have only done 8500 miles in total. I know I'm due for a regular service next month but is this extra aircon service necessary? The aircon still gets cold enough for me.

They get paid extra to sell you extras such as 'fuel additive' and things like that.

If your air cons cold, leave it be IMO.

I think using it regularly is the best thing you can do for it.

Isnt the pollen filter part of the general service?

• Like 1

& now they like to make out that they are offering a great deal with a 'Fuel Flush'. Up selling is F.A.B.

'Up selling' thats the phrase i was thinking of, but couldnt think of it haha.

Yeah. Sales lady was trying to convince me i needed fuel additives on my first year service. The car had done 7000 miles!

• Like 1

Pollen Filter is on the Schedule / Guidelines at a 20,000 mile service.  Or for some world regions people might want sooner,  i doubt that is UK.

As to A/C servicing, get the Service Desk reception to do some work by asking them to show you the Service Schedule or Guidelines for your car type.

Also maybe ask if they got a written hand out or just a sales meeting talk on Up Selling.

As others have said if the A/C blows cold it needs nothing doing to it.

If you are getting bad smells from it due to bacteria build up in the system it's still not a garage job,just get a £10 system cleanser aerosol can.

Edited by XK140

They are selling you an ac service because after 2 years it will be low on gas. It holds 515 grams maximum and that is provided Skoda filled it fully at the factory., which is highly unlikely. So let's assume it left the factory with 450 grams . No system is 100 % sealed and it will leak approximately 70 to 90 grams a year. So your 2 year old Fabia has probably got around 300 grams in and should be 515 grams. So it's about 60 % full. So if you leave it 2 more years how much do you think will be in the system? I would have it done . If it's 60% full and you have the ac turned on how much fuel are you going to waste over another 2 years? .

They are selling you an ac service because after 2 years it will be low on gas. It holds 515 grams maximum and that is provided Skoda filled it fully at the factory., which is highly unlikely. So let's assume it left the factory with 450 grams . No system is 100 % sealed and it will leak approximately 70 to 90 grams a year. So your 2 year old Fabia has probably got around 300 grams in and should be 515 grams. So it's about 60 % full. So if you leave it 2 more years how much do you think will be in the system? I would have it done . If it's 60% full and you have the ac turned on how much fuel are you going to waste over another 2 years? .

Depends on the engine, but using a/c doesnt use that much extra fuel really does it.

You never know how much its leaking. Id leave it until it wont work anymore myself.