How to test hand/parking brake ?

Hi

My Fabia Sport seems to have a poor performing hand brake. If I lift it 3 clicks it will still move on a flat surface if I put the car in drive, and it will roll in neutral on mild slops at 5 clicks. The hand brake lever "feels normal" in the sense that the strength needed to move it is similar to that of most cars I've ever driven. I can make the car stick on a slope, but I need to pull the lever as much up as it will go. 

I live in China, so my Fabia is locally produced so it differs a bit from European models. It is a 100hp 1.6 liter, 6 speed tiptronic with drums on the brake. The Skoda shop said the hand brake performs as it should, but I am wondering if the drums are actually working as they should. The car has driven 3000Km, so should be as good as new. Is there any good "home test" for establishing if, a) everything is OK, B) handbrake needs tightening or c) the drums are bad ? 

Thanks

I've never found the Fabia handbrake to be good, the family Fabia has even rolled off the driveway with nobody inside due to the handbrake. The car is now always parked and left in gear 1st gear, just in case it happens again.

Hi

My Fabia Sport seems to have a poor performing hand brake. If I lift it 3 clicks it will still move on a flat surface if I put the car in drive, and it will roll in neutral on mild slops at 5 clicks. The hand brake lever "feels normal" in the sense that the strength needed to move it is similar to that of most cars I've ever driven. I can make the car stick on a slope, but I need to pull the lever as much up as it will go. 

I live in China, so my Fabia is locally produced so it differs a bit from European models. It is a 100hp 1.6 liter, 6 speed tiptronic with drums on the brake. The Skoda shop said the hand brake performs as it should, but I am wondering if the drums are actually working as they should. The car has driven 3000Km, so should be as good as new. Is there any good "home test" for establishing if, a) everything is OK, B) handbrake needs tightening or c) the drums are bad ? 

Thanks

Welcome from China!

My personal thoughts are:

1. U already did a test on the slope, so a normal handbrake on and the car moves

U can live with it (as u said its find with 5 clicks),

But personally i get the handbrake look at (esp tightened) so u dont need 5 clicks.

Just my 2 pence.

But sure others on here will have more experience and better input ...

Keep us posted!

I think Haynes manual for Fabia1 allows 6 or 7 clicks, my Fabia2 ( which I had for 50,000+ miles) never had a handbrake problem. Should hold on 3 or 4 clicks as above, so suggest a visit to dealer who has a good slope nearby for test purposes.

Welcome to the Forum.

A plan might be to get the rear wheels off, and the drums and see what the situation is with the Shoes and Drums,

& Brake cylinders.

At 30,000 Km (18,600 miles) it is due by the Service Schedule to have the Drums Removed, and cleaned,

& then any adjustment required can be done.

Its not a new thing, my mums 2005 polo is terrible too. Pull it up enough for it to not roll back down a hill and you stretch the cable, so its higher all the time.

That car gets its handbrake adjusted about once a year when it goes in for an MOT.

My 2013 fabia is better than that, but its not too good.

I just leave it in gear whenever i park.

Its not a new thing, my mums 2005 polo is terrible too. Pull it up enough for it to not roll back down a hill and you stretch the cable, so its higher all the time.

That car gets its handbrake adjusted about once a year when it goes in for an MOT.

My 2013 fabia is better than that, but its not too good.

I just leave it in gear whenever i park.

I had one at vertical position because it kept stretching :rofl:
  • Like 1