White smoke

Just booked in with the dealers to check this in a few weeks. PETROL mk 3 VRS that has done c. 3.5k miles....booting it ie high end revs on the slip road onto a motorway and loads of white smoke out the exhausts. My wife potters around in it mid week so unsure if it's just bunged up but 1st time I noticed I put in about a litre of oil (dipstick looked low)......happened again today so getting concerned. Any similar experiences and/ or thoughts? Thanks

I would say to much oil in it. Had a few mates now fill up and get white smoke when over filled. Was the car flat when checked ? Also did u run the car then turn it off and let it sit before checking ? I'm not sure how much oil they take but it shouldn't need one litre of oil after 3.5k. It's not a Honda :D

I would say to much oil in it. Had a few mates now fill up and get white smoke when over filled. Was the car flat when checked ? Also did u run the car then turn it off and let it sit before checking ? I'm not sure how much oil they take but it shouldn't need one litre of oil after 3.5k. It's not a Honda :D

Yes it was flat and it rest but unlikely to be overfilled the 1st time certainly....agree on the consumption but my BMW used to say up to 1L per 1000 miles for my MINI was 'acceptable' (!)

Yes it was flat and it rest but unlikely to be overfilled the 1st time certainly....agree on the consumption but my BMW used to say up to 1L per 1000 miles for my MINI was 'acceptable' (!)

VAG say upto 1 litre per 1000km (620miles) is within normal tolerances.

^^^wow! Actually q similar but seems a bit weird on a warmed up engine on a warm day????

I asked the seller and the things he said that if there is a short ride , so suppressors collect the water and then when I drive fast , so will the water vapor out to pipes,myself it makes about even outdoor hot and hot engine and when i take about 3-4 acceleration,its stop... Edited by Supe
  • Like 1

If it's water vapour, it will quickly evaporate and disappear. If it's smoke, it will hang around (and smell) and probably have a slight blue tinge to it.

Is there any emulsified oil under the filler cap? Is your header tank level dropping? Either of these could point to a blown head gasket.  Though as Supe says, it might just be water collected in the exhaust system.

• Like 1