Dan's 20v 1.8T Fabia Estate

DanHarper

Great result that

Yeah, I can put a ceiling back in the bathroom after deciding at 9pm on Friday night I was tired of the 80s patterned plaster tiles that looked like swastikas and ripped it down (beer may have been involved beforehand). Oh, you mean the dyno  :peek:

• Like 1

Just been reading through all of this over the last couple of days. What an awesome project, and what an up and down ride to get where you are now! Kudos for sticking with it though, know how it feels when everything is going wrong and you just want to torch it! lol.

My house mate is starting his 1.8t project soon(ish) - will be going into a Audi A2 :D Well that is after we have fixed up the Octavia so I have a daily, fixed the DSG out of the Superb so he has a daily and done the electrics on someone elses prison/camper van conversion. Oh and stripping the Passat as well. Cars! Why do we do it to ourselves?! :)

Edited by AJ7788
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Why do we do it to ourselves?! :)

Quite! :(

Swapped the front pads to DS2500s. They fit better than the bloody Wilwood ones (in Wilwood calipers!) and my braking is much quieter now (no creaking, knocking from the pads). Very disappointed with the Wilwood pads.

• Like 2

Quite! :(

Swapped the front pads to DS2500s. They fit better than the bloody Wilwood ones (in Wilwood calipers!) and my braking is much quieter now (no creaking, knocking from the pads). Very disappointed with the Wilwood pads.

That's a shame. My friend swears by them, he runs their kit on his TR7.

Glad it's sorted though :)

• 2 weeks later...

First run down the A483 to my mums this weekend for the Fabia. Car performed flawlessly even with circa 200kg in the back on the way down. Gave my brakes a good bed in around some of the twisty bits with that extra weight and some of the camber changes while overtaking were fun with a slightly light front end :) Need to look in to some track days and really see what she will do before trying to fall off the road :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Steering rack replaced as it was peeing fluid in to the booties and then all over the floor. I had a nice rack from a low mileage Ibiza but of course it was different to the one on the Fabia, so the pump I retained from the original Ibiza also went in. Crash code cleared and all working fine so far. That's the final bit of the Fabia's original equipment gone now... nothing that makes the thing go or steer is original save for the steering column :)

Also back in brrrm ttssshh mode with the return of an S2k filter. Started to miss the noises :)

No pictures because I ordered the wrong adapter and its slightly bodgy... plus the albino S2k filter I got just looks weird :(

Edited by DanHarper
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Past the 55,000 mark this week so thought it past time I changed the plugs. I'd not even taken a look at them since the rebuild... probably should have done! Anyhow... all plugs were fine. Gaps a little large and could probably have just gaped them and thrown them back in for another 10k but I'd already bought 2 extra sets so gaped and installed a new set.

Booked another day at Blyton on the 26th of June as my brother is up, so he's going to be sharing the drives. Little apprehensive... I can break stuff all I want but I'm not sure what will happen if he breaks it!  :devil:

Edited by DanHarper
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Second track day completed without a hitch!

Was a completely dry day this time, really hi-lighting I need to do something about brake/tyre cooling. Wasn't too bad when I came in, but my brother's driving induced very smokey brakes :) The tyres were getting hot and going off around 4 laps in, when they become pretty sloppy leading to excessive understeer. Pressures hovering around 36 once in the pits but wasn't sure about going lower as the inside right showed signs that something had been rubbing the side wall a bit... hindsight maybe it was the big sausage kerb on the pit corner, but it did look like it was trying to fold the tyre on that 90deg corner too. Took my front fog light hole covers off for the last session which seemed to help a bit. Temperatures had started to drop at that point though.

So plans are basically to get some cooling on to the tyres/brakes. I'll leave the covers off I think and just paint the intercooler pipes/tidy up in that area. Vents in the arch liner and maybe a duct to direct some air on to the brakes. Want to get some alloys as I think the closed in steel wheels are not helping matters.

Only after effects from the day are some uneven braking, only noticeable when coming to a stop. I spent this evening sanding a lot of black deposit off the discs which I'm hoping is the cause, and cleaning up the calipers/pads. The DS2500s look a little abused but should stand another track day :) I'll order a set just incase, the pads on the wilwoods are so easy to change: wheels off, retaining clip out, pads out, pads in, wheel on, done. I can do them track side if I must. Bonus is they are £60 a set.

Video from my final session:

If anyone wonders what that rattle is going through some of the corners, its a bolt from the rear brace I dropped in to the car.. I'm not sure it will ever come out. I may try to stop it rattling by spraying expanding foam in to the area where it went to capture it :)

Edited by DanHarper
  • Like 2

Some new wheels:

DSC01638.JPG

Seat 15"s from god knows what, were very cheap and local so I grabbed 'em. Clear the front brakes by a few mm with a 5mm spacer, and not too heavy. Going to be painted in a nice bright colour and used for track wheels :) Actually like the 'distressed' look on them now they've been sanded and I'd be tempted to wet look clear coat them as is if one wasn't in primer when I got them. Oh well :)

• Like 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As you've already booked on it would be very rude of me not to :)

Picked up something to wrap the 16" RSRs around today until they die:

DSC01639.JPG

Edited by DanHarper

More goodies:

DSC01662.JPG

Marangoni Zeta Linea Sport 195/50/15. These were used for the BMW Compact Cup for a few years but I don't think they are made any more.

Worn but all but 1 is still road legal. Should get a few track days out of them as I don't mind changing wheels to come home.

Hopefully get the 15s painted and these fitted ready for Croft and I'll save the RSRs for Brands.

Edited by DanHarper
  • Like 2

Preperations for Croft have begun! I've decided I need to be faster than Phil, so I need to drop some weight. Can't afford carbon pannels so started to hack bits off instead:

DSC01669.JPG

• Like 2