New Front Bbots Required -- Reccomendations Anyone?

boy_exley

From past experience, Eagle F1s are as soft as clarts. Great grip, but no life. I had them on a 1.8 (yes 1.8) Mondeo and only got 8k.

I've looked at Avons but don't know what their wear rate is like.

I'd say the Toyo are the best tires. The reason? They grip almost as well as the Goodyear, but weigh 5 pounds less per tire. Less rotational weight means faster acceleration. The only other match is a set of Bridgestone S03s. Regarding the Goodyears, only the GS D3 can even be in that league. I have the D2s and although they kick some serious butt in the wet, dry traction is not as good as the Toyo or the Bridgestone.

Speedy G

• 3 weeks later...

Good year f1's are to soft so are the proxes( but great grip)

Uniroyal are ok and reasonable wear rate.

Avons offer the best value for money, as have a very good wear rate very close to michelins! (even though sold as a sports tyre)and give good levels of grip (zz2 or zz3 are the best bet)

Yokohama A529 are also a good tyre but not sure on the sizes available.

Mike

I agonised over this until I had to do something, went to Silverline at Warwick who gave good advice ( thanks TaviaRs) Had Pirrelli P zero Rosso's fitted in standard size,

Compared to Standard Dunlops they give more grip, are Quieter , and give good feedback especially when warm.

Also a good price!

morgan

Toyo proxes? Budget tyre for budget car. If you are serious about the way your car handles, get some proper tyres! Or if you don't want to do that, I know a man who could sell you 4 Road Champ Super Performers for 1/2 what you paid for the Toyos.

Happy to help.

someone mentioned Toyo Proxes as a good tyre for me (on a WELL tight budget) as a good replacement tyre for the Marshall's I'm currently running ( which are semi OK but don't always grip that well when pushed )

PS: Bigger footprint (extra 20mm per wheel) and stiffer sidewall (25mm lower than standard) in my case has caused a massive increase in grip. I'm just waiting for those wheel bearings to give up now. :D

Know quite a few people who run the Proxes on various cars, and the conclusion is that they are excellent in terms of grip, but they don't wear particularly well as a result.

Depends what you're after from a tyre really I guess...I'm running Toyo R610s at the moment, and they're pretty grippy in the dry, but feel a bit slippery in the wet if you try and push them the same.

Wearing pretty well though, and at

PS: Bigger footprint (extra 20mm per wheel) and stiffer sidewall (25mm lower than standard) in my case has caused a massive increase in grip. I'm just waiting for those wheel bearings to give up now.

are they not expensive?

Kenny,

it looking to change my tyres from 205/50/17 to 225/45/17 I found that the standrd size actually worked out to be a little more expensive than the new size....this was for Pirelli PZero Rossos.

So really it was a bit of a no brainer on that side.

The Rossos I find are quieter and inspire a lot confidence. On the flip side my consumption has gone up recently and this probably has something to do with the increased rolling resistance (grip?) due to their softer compound.

Cheers.

Adrian.