parking car up for two months any tips

Alastairh

I have surgery next week and can't drive for at least two months, I've got an ,02 octi estate TDI, should I leave it empty or with a full tank of fuel? Should I take the battery off or just have it started every couple of weeks and let it idle till the engine warms up? Should I chock the wheels and leave the handbrake off? Anything anybody can thing of, oh forgot to mention it will be sat outside not in a garage and the rest of the family can't drive

I often leave a car either in the UK or Spain parked up for up to three months at a time, if I'm leaving one for around four weeks I don't do a thing, any longer than that I disconnect the battery.

The only slight problem I ever have is a few extra revs needed when first driving off to release the handbrake, I then drive for 200/300 metres with slight pressure on the footbrake to clear surface rust off the discs.....then back to normal

Regards all

Juan

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs

if it's drum brakes then you will be best leaving it in 1st (or reverse depending on slope of drive) to prevent shoes from binding to the drums (happened to mine after now using it for a week).  Start the car at least once a week or the battery may start to discharge and make starting impossible without removing and recharging it unless you have a heavy duty booster or another car with a big battery to jump from.

deffo let it run until warm to make sure you get good circulation of oil and water around the system - also pump brakes when running

Leave the car with a full tank of fuel if possible, otherwise with the colder nights the condensation in the tank could cause problems. You'll still get condensation, but nowhere near as much.

If you can get someone to start the car occasionally to at least run the engine up to operating temperature and then shutdown again, this will help stop the battery going flat.

I was knocked off my bike in February so had a similar situation to yours. I did nothing to the car (left outside with full tank). It started and ran normally about 7 weeks later. Only problem was cobwebs inside as I had taken hedge cuttings to the tip and had spiders inside!

Use a length of wood (or a Krooklock works if you still posess one of those) to hold the clutch pedal pressed right down. Chock the wheels, or, if possible put it on stands, and leave the handbrake off.

I'd fill the tank right up and disconnect the battery as well.

Thanks for all this guys, why would I leave the clutch depressed, I've never heard that one before? The full tank I understand, can't make my mind up as to weather take the battery off or just let my lad fire it up under supervision

I don't think the bin bags would stay on being in the wilds of Yorkshire, is that to stop the discs from rusting?

Thanks for all this guys, why would I leave the clutch depressed, I've never heard that one before? The full tank I understand, can't make my mind up as to weather take the battery off or just let my lad fire it up under supervision

I don't think the bin bags would stay on being in the wilds of Yorkshire, is that to stop the discs from rusting?

"Only thing i can add is :-

If you have disc brakes put dustbin bags over the wheels to keep the rain off" .

Use gaffa tape on the inboard side of wheel to close bag opening (next to ground) tight to wheel.

Clutch friction plates have been known to rust to the flywheel, so it's the same sort of reasoning as using chocks rather than the handbrake to hold the car. 

A couple of moisture traps in the cabin and boot would be a good idea since it will be sitting idle into late autumn and winter - they'll help to stop it getting too damp and musty inside. Personally I use them all year round and find they also make a big difference to the amount of misting and condensation I get on the inside of the glass. You could go further while you're not driving it and get a tub of Kilrock moisture absorbing crystals for about a fiver and leave trays or dishes of it throughout the car.

The aircon may well get pretty musty in that time so you could treat yourself to a can of aircon steriliser/deodoriser ready to run through the system on your return... why suffer through the sweaty foot stink of mouldy aircon on your first day back in the driving seat!

Good luck with the surgery, take it easy and don't be tempted to rush back to anything.