too early suggested gearing position

ujtordai

Hi all,
I would like to get some help.
I'm an owner of a superb 2.0 CR TDI DPF model year 2011.
In the information display the computer suggest when optimal to shift to upper gear level. What logic does it works? As I noticed always a suggest little early to shift to upper gear level. When suggest to shift up, the RPM maybe is not enough, a little bit low.
What is your opinion?

If I was to stick to exactly what the computer dictates I would be close to stalling the engine at times.  Sixth gear at less than 60kph is often suggested on mine so I ignore it and change gear.  This system is also probably one of the ways in which the manufacturers cover themselves with their claimed fuel economy numbers i.e. if you were to stick to the exact computer indicator you might get somewhere close to achieving those seemingly unattainable figures that they often quote - now maybe I'm just being cynical :)

There's a chance that VW will be revising their claimed fuel economy figures some time in the near future: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/23/us-italy-autos-fuel-idUSKCN0HI1BA20140923

Only if the law changes. They are explicitly forbidden from providing anything other than the official numbers.

And as not many of us drive inside on climate controlled rolling road, it's not surprising you match those figures.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

On my Audi A4, at it's 36000 mile service, I was told that 'we've updated the software'.

The only difference I could see was that the gearchange 'suggestions' had changed to encourage me to hold onto lower gears for longer. When I enquired about this apparently it was to put less strain on DPF. So I often keep in a lower gear round town on my Superb.

Only if the law changes. They are explicitly forbidden from providing anything other than the official numbers.

And as not many of us drive inside on climate controlled rolling road, it's not surprising you match those figures.

There was something on TV about these "Official MPG" figures, ALL manufactures have to test to the same set standard, same conditions (Indoor rolling road) temperatures and for the same set time/speed intervals, i.e 20MPH for 2 mins, 30MPH for 2 mins, 56MPH, 80MPH whatever etc etc (figures made up, I can't remember the exact thing said) These ere so the public could get a reasonable "guide" between manufacturers... 

As for gear changes, my DSG can be in 3rd or 4th gear by the time you blink ...lol changes up very quick... 

There was something on TV about these "Official MPG" figures, ALL manufactures have to test to the same set standard, same conditions (Indoor rolling road) temperatures and for the same set time/speed intervals, i.e 20MPH for 2 mins, 30MPH for 2 mins, 56MPH, 80MPH whatever etc etc (figures made up, I can't remember the exact thing said) These ere so the public could get a reasonable "guide" between manufacturers...

As for gear changes, my DSG can be in 3rd or 4th gear by the time you blink ...lol changes up very quick...

The ASA did an investigation into Audi's advertising, it just fizzled out as the ASA would have broken the law if they tried to force Audi to put different figures on their adverts. They did have to add a rather vague statement about not matching these figures in normal driving.

The ASA did an investigation into Audi's advertising, it just fizzled out as the ASA would have broken the law if they tried to force Audi to put different figures on their adverts. They did have to add a rather vague statement about not matching these figures in normal driving.

Noticed quite a few manufacturers ads (printed) have this sort of disclaimer on the bottom now.

The test cars are normally devoid of all of the heavy options, and on those teeny steel wheels.

They won't have any options fitted but they have to be on the standard fit wheels and other standard equipment.

The test specifies gear changes which is apparently why most eco versions have 5 gears - the test does not include for a change into a 6th gear.

I had the same in my 1.4tsi mk2 Octy and it wanted me to be in 6th at 40mph IIRC which was too early with the same results you experience, especially if you were on a slight incline. I used to ignore it and change up when I knew the engine would be happy in the higher gear. Thankfully I don't have this 'driving aid' on my vRS.

The big danger with early upshifting is that one of the best ways to kill your dual mass flywheel is to leave the engine rumbling along under load in a high gear down towards 1000 rpm. With the CR 170 engine it's not a big deal for it to climb hills at 40 mph in 6th, but that assumes you're not looking for any type of acceleration at the time. Dropping 3 gears at that speed gives very adequate acceleration when it's required :D.

The point of the class action is to deal with the fact that the fuel economy claims are being gamed in a big way by manufacturers, which passes cost onto customers. 

Edited by psycholist

I can believe it as the DSG changes up too soon for my taste.  I'd like a setting between "D" and "S" - marked "R" for reasonable!

Ignore the gear change recommendation, it is designed for fuel economy but will kill your dual mass flywheel (DMF).

So where does that leave those of us with DSG boxes that change up early - drive faster? !!!

I'd imagine there are many more variables inputting into the DSG's brain that help it to determine the correct gear.

The gear change recommendation on manuals is there because DSG isn't...?

I must admit the DSG does change up very quick... I can pull away and be in 3rd in the blink of an eye... will say though it does not appear to make the engine labour at all, so maybe the DSG brain does know what it's doing Lol