Strange noises

Mardu

I have some problems with my 2014 Octavia 1,2 TSI DSG.

1. At around 50 km/h a strange high-pitched noise appears. Starts out as squeaking, then transforms into continuous noise. It disappears for a while when applying the brakes, even just a little. Then I have about 30 seconds of silence and it starts again. The funny thing is that it does the same if I use the accelerator instead of the brake.

I've tried turning off the Bolero and the climate control, but the noise still remains.

The dealer said they quickly looked into the problem but didn't hear anything, so I recorded it:

Video where the noise can be heard in the background

Audio file where the frequencies around the noise have been amplified

What I've noticed so far:

• The noise is around 4000-4300 Hz
  • Appears when driving normally around 50 km/h without accelerating or braking
  • Starts as a series of squeaks, then transforms into continuous noise
  • Stops when braking, even just a little
  • Stops when accelerating, even just a little
  • Gear doesn't matter
  • Radio off, aircon off - noise still there
  • Sometimes disappears when driving on bumpy roads.

Does anybody have an idea what it could be? I don't think much of the dealer's service here, they've been mostly unhelpful so far.

2. The car also makes a creaking noise at slow speeds when braking. I've showed it to the dealer, and without further looking, they said it's normal and due to some little stones trapped in the brakes or suspension. Told them again, they supposedly cleaned the brakes, but the noise remains. The creaking is driving me nuts, it's like driving in an old carriage. I would try to clean it myself (with a friend's help, as I'm not much of a mechanic) if I knew where to look.

Driving and braking

Driving and braking 2

Video of braking while stopped

Edited by Mardu

Odd one.

Squeak - sounds like my old Golf when the water pump went (had similar on a Scirocco when the alternator bearings were on their way out), although those noises didn't go away. The cadence of the squeak is too high for it to be the brakes squealing (IMO only - others may disagree).  On a new car like the Octy I would not expect the same though.  

Does it make a difference when the electrical load changes?  I'm thinking maybe a fan belt too loose/tight maybe? 

The creak - I believe this is just noise from the brake linkages / rubber seals.  Does it "feel" like a creak or is it just a noise?

Can't help much with 1.

But, 2. mine also makes the creaking noise when braking at low (walking pace) speeds. Dealer "couldn't reproduce noise" when it had service at 9.5k miles. It is getting more annoying, it actually sounds like the pistons creaking in the calipers, but it could be anything. Seems to be worse when first used. I need to get back to dealer and demonstrate the noise to them. Not much help, but you are not alone !

Edited by classic

Does it make a difference when the electrical load changes?  I'm thinking maybe a fan belt too loose/tight maybe? 

The creak - I believe this is just noise from the brake linkages / rubber seals.  Does it "feel" like a creak or is it just a noise?

As far as I've noticed the electrical load does not make the squeak any different. I'll re-check it later.

The creak does not feel like anything, it's just really annoying that a new car does that.

By the way, I forgot to add that the creak sometimes goes away, randomly. The probability of silent braking rises when it's rainy.

• 2 weeks later...

Visited the dealer today. Nothing new - as the outside temperatures have dropped a bit, the squeaky noise has become quieter and the mechanic didn't hear it. They said that if it gets louder again, I should come back.

• 4 weeks later...

2. The car also makes a creaking noise at slow speeds when braking. I've showed it to the dealer, and without further looking, they said it's normal and due to some little stones trapped in the brakes or suspension. Told them again, they supposedly cleaned the brakes, but the noise remains. The creaking is driving me nuts, it's like driving in an old carriage. I would try to clean it myself (with a friend's help, as I'm not much of a mechanic) if I knew where to /quote]

Cured this noise myself on my car today. Removed front pads, cleaned up and coppergreased contact points. The actual noise was the spring metal clip on back of pad creaking against inside of caliper piston. Now silent as it should be.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Do you have any updates on that 1. squeking noise? My car has same noise and dealer cannot find reason for it.

Noise comes up when driving steady speed on flat road. Noice dissappear if gaspedal is moved and starts again after 10 seconds. When weather is colder then noise is louder.

If somebody has any idea what it is , please help.

Sorry, but no updates from me. The dealer told me to come back when it gets louder so they can hear it too. I'll report back here when there are any updates.

Mine is different regarding the temperature - when it's warmer, it gets a bit louder.

• 1 year later...

Do you have any updates on that 1. squeking noise? My car has same noise and dealer cannot find reason for it.

Noise comes up when driving steady speed on flat road. Noice dissappear if gaspedal is moved and starts again after 10 seconds. When weather is colder then noise is louder.

If somebody has any idea what it is , please help.

Sorry, but no updates from me. The dealer told me to come back when it gets louder so they can hear it too. I'll report back here when there are any updates.

Mine is different regarding the temperature - when it's warmer, it gets a bit louder.

Hey guys, any update on this one? I'm hearing the exact same in my Fabia III 1.2 TSI 110 and under the same conditions you've described it, and I find it quite annoying. I really like the car otherwise and wish something could be done about this...

I've recorded it, too:

https://vid.me/GS2G

https://vid.me/TKgS

This was finally fixed a week ago. Problem was at active chargoal canister hose? (not sure about exact name) EVAP system might be the other name. ( Canister that is connected to the gas tank with hose)

Now car is very nice to drive. It is missing so much of that annoying noice.

There was a service bulletin about the update.

Kimmu, What noise did you solve? 1 or 2? Be more specific.

On the other hand, the noise number 1, described by the topic starter, it is present omy 2016 O3 1.2tsi too. It have been on my previous O3 1.2tsi 2014. I tend to say it is normal. And the sound is so fine and high frequency that is hard to show at the dealer. And probably, if finally they will hear it, they won't know how to solve it.

So, better enjoy our cars, and if they broke, we use the warranty. Hope not to be the case.

Problem number 1 was solved.
Now that the sound is gone it feels like there was lot more noice coming than the beebing noice, because now it feels so silent in cabin.

This same noice is also available in all VW products. I have driven 7 different new model tsi engines and all have had the beeb, but not anymore in my car.

Problem number 1 was solved.

Now that the sound is gone it feels like there was lot more noice coming than the beebing noice, because now it feels so silent in cabin.

This same noice is also available in all VW products. I have driven 7 different new model tsi engines and all have had the beeb, but not anymore in my car.

Hi kimmu,

that's great to hear that you've been able to fix the noise! I really want to get it fixed on my Fabia III 110 as well, and you are now the 2nd person on this forum who has reported the noise gone after the "charcoal canister hose" has been replaced. (User kristianRS in this thread was the first to report the noise gone: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/360076-low-beeping-sound-when-driving-with-cruise-control/page-2) 

Just to make sure: so they only replaced the hose/tube itself, but not the canister? Is it possible to see this hose when you open the bonnet so that I could point it to the mechanic?

I assume they'd replace it under warranty, right? My service is only due after another 7,000 km, which will be roughly around September next year --- but I don't think I'd want to wait that long so it looks like I'll have to pay them a visit earlier. 

Did the mechanic say anything about whether not fixing this noise could have any detrimental effect on the engine in the long-term?

P.S.: it's a bit troubling (but at the same time relieving) to hear that this noise is present in VW models as well, but I wonder why?? I also wonder if replacing this hose will solve the problem in the long-term or is it going to reappear after a year or so? 

I read from somewhere that it is material change for the hose that is helping. Old one is harder plastic new should be rubber hose, but this info is from internet...

When i ordered service they just said that it is hose change. It took about 20 minutes total. They said that there is a service bulletin available.

I did not ask too many questions because they though voice is inside my head, but suprisingly now it is fixed.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I got the charcoal canister hose replaced the other day and the beeping / high pitched noise is now finally gone (i.e. OP's problem no. 1 above)! The original hose was ribbed (and plastic, I believe), while the new one smooth and made of rubber. The mechanic took the old hose into his hand and blew through it -- and you could hear it produce a loud noise, while blowing through the new hose does not produce any sound (only a slight hush of the air).

Many thanks to the users @kristianRS and @kimmu for the heads-up on this.

• Like 2

Ok...Thanks. I have it too.

This sort of pipe it is really the type that whistle when you blow in it. This xplains the sound. But at the end of it, on the engine side, it looks like it ends with a sensor... What should be on it, fuel or air?

Ok...Thanks. I have it too.

This sort of pipe it is really the type that whistle when you blow in it. This xplains the sound. But at the end of it, on the engine side, it looks like it ends with a sensor... What should be on it, fuel or air?

Sorry, all I know they replaced the hose and that's it. :-/

Edited by jon15

• 1 month later...

I have the squeaking noise as point number 2) described in the OP.

My car is just 4 weeks old (450 miles) and I notice this happening just last week - every time I brake in the dry. Really annoying!! Clearly nobody seems to have found a solution - anyone have an update?

Thanks in advance. Lal.

I have the squeaking noise as point number 2) described in the OP.

My car is just 4 weeks old (450 miles) and I notice this happening just last week - every time I brake in the dry. Really annoying!! Clearly nobody seems to have found a solution - anyone have an update?

Thanks in advance. Lal.

For me, opening up the brakes and cleaning different parts thoroughly fixed it.