Optic projector lamps & xenons?

I keep seeing promotional pictures for the Spaceback, from Skoda's international website, showing optic projector headlights, and mention of a 'xenon kit' but neither of these feature on the Skoda UK website. Are they not available in the UK, then?

The plain halogen ones, in my view, make the front of the car look pretty boring, and would consider these to be a vast improvement when it comes to aesthetics:

rapid-spaceback-e04-headlamps-01.jpg

Edited by Willum

EU regulations state you can have xenon lights without auto levellers and headlight washers if they output less than 2000 lumens.

The approval regs in the UK state they must have auto levelling and washers. The rapid doesn't have any option for auto-levelling lights so they're not available in the UK.

They are available in RHD spec in Australia so the lights for RHD cars do physically exist. 

You could probably retrofit them and pass an MOT as the MOT regulations state the auto levelling and washers must work if they are fitted, but cannot be failed if they aren't fitted.

To my knowledge factory xenons are not available in RHD in European dealerships. Despite the fact that projectors allow to easily adapt beam for European motoring, while stock lights do not.

One other thing I noticed on both stock and xenon headlamps is that indicator has moved towards the centre of the car. Same on Mk3 Fabia (could be the same headlamp unit, in fact). I think it is a poor design decision as low beams (when on) make indicators far less conspicuous when viewed from side as on cars nearing a roundabout, just look at Peugeots, same arrangement... To make matters even worse, that indicator is just under the HB DRLs which obscure indicators even better than low beam.... I wonder if these lights are designed by anyone actually using a car, or just for looks?

Edited by dieselV6

Yes, in Australia but not UK/Ireland.  I wonder if they would source them here though, if it's not in Europe it is often unavailable. Perhaps Ebay?

If they were available, I'd definitely retrofit, worth it IMHO for hassle free Euro motoring alone (no beam benders).

I just had a look around for D5s "upgrade" kits, there is nothing in retail, not even on Ebay... not really surprised as the D5S went into mass production in late 2012-ish. Though Alibaba already lists uprated burners...   and even uprated integrated 35W lamps :sun:

To be honest, my view is that 25W/2000lm HIDs in projectors will not result in adequate road lighting. For my night driving, 35W/3250lm HIDs were a minimum in projectors, plus there was an option to go to 50W and higher using aftermarket kits. Though the idea of integrated 12v-to-light HID design is a good one.

2000lm will be better than halogen output, but I agree brighter would be better. Still it's a cheap solution for a cheap (sort of) car.

Having looked at D5S it looks like a really neat way to offer xenon without much development cost.

http://www.invisionsales.com/lighting/pdfs/news/Philips_Xenon_D5S_solution_for_OEM.pdf

A fun bit of reading should you wish :)

http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/doc/2010/wp29gre/ECE-TRANS-WP29-GRE-2010-53e.pdf

Is it full RHD or flat beam adaptation though? I suspect flat beam only, as all past RHD Skoda lamps only adapted to flat beam. But if these adapted fully RHD<->LHD, they'd be worth full dealership price for me.

Is it full RHD or flat beam adaptation though? I suspect flat beam only, as all past RHD Skoda lamps only adapted to flat beam. But if these adapted fully RHD<->LHD, they'd be worth full dealership price for me.

I'm afraid you are correct on that point. Flat beam conversion.

Edited by Cown

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

FYI,

Superskoda are now selling OEM Xenon headlights - Anyone know if these will just be plug 'n' play for the existing halogen headlights? 

Would love to retrofit...

LHD: http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/RAPID/Rapid-original-Skoda-Autoas-XENON-headlight-LEFT-LHD

RHD: http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/RAPID/Rapid-original-Skoda-Autoas-XENON-headlight-LEFT-RHD

Just noticed the SUK configurator now includes "Package Xenon for Style package (right-hand drive)" as a £400 extra. Thought you all might like to know.

So it does!

Not mentioned in the brochure though, or on the Spaceback configurator, so wondering whether it's an error?

Good price, I would spec them if ordering new.

Excuse me for being thick but where do you see

So it does!

Not mentioned in the brochure though, or on the Spaceback configurator, so wondering whether it's an error?

Good price, I would spec them if ordering new.

Excuse me for being thick but where do you see this? I've looked and see any sign of it?