Seems like a bargain what's the catch?

Hi All

Am looking for a cheaper replacement when my 1 series goes out of AUC warranty close to xmas. Saw one of these and looked online and seemed an awful lot of car for the money. The spaceback looks especially good in my opinion. I do 15k with a 40 mile round trip to work with half of that on dual carriageway but the other half is busy stop start traffic so I'm thinking of going back to petrol and the 1.2 appeals with the 6 speed box. I would look at 6-12 month old cars. Research has shown dab usb cruise rear sensors could be within reach for not much more than 10k with finance contributions and free servicing. All sounds to good to be true you would struggle to get a vw up with that kit for the money. So what's the catch?

58 Plate 120d M Sport Auto

I got a 1.2se 105 with 6speed and cruise and rear sensors 63 plate 5000 miles for a little over £10,000. Still waiting to find out what the catch is ,comfortable loads of room did the thick end of 2,000 miles on holiday over 50 to the gallon !   Seems like a good car to me but only time will tell really, had Skoda's for the last 10 yrs so they can't be too bad.

• Like 1

I had a Rapid as a hire car when my mk1 Fabia was written off and it served me really well.

Does seem cheap for waht it is.

Apparently though the mechanically identical Seat Toledo offers even more kit for the same money....

You can get a brand new rapid for zero per cent finance and decent discount from dealer too. Have to be honest it does sound too good to be true (for the price - spec - size). My only concerns are the booming noise (see other threads) which seem to be causing some owners problems across rapid and octavia and lack of a warm engine (1.2 sounds excellent but I'd prefer under 10 seconds for 0-60). I've been watching new fabia combi carefully and I have a feeling that may be a slightly better buy - just waiting for prices and spec before making decision. Have to say though I'm very tempted by the rapid sport or new fabia combi. I'm also concerned by lack of rapids on the road - suspect new fabia will be more popular.

• Like 1

Toledo interior is a bit yuk in grey/black. Skoda offer choice of smarter looking interiors. Older spec cars have inferior ride & steering and less included kit - for Toledos in particular the 2014 spec marks the hidden upgrades as well as the obvious like Satnav and posher dash.  Tyre brand fitted makes a big difference to ride and noise - even between OEM factory fit of same size.  Car lacks image - Toledo in particular looks like old man's car, especially in metallics with small 15/16 wheels - think modern version of Rover 45.

As you've all said the big plus is value.  Why buy used for 10k though? The Toledo doesn't fit into SEAT's "youth oriented brand". SEAT dealers (and Skoda I've read) will push specced up petrols out the door at 12k+.  I got 23% discount off retail - not used, not pre-reg, not even stock. Ordered the exact one I wanted and haggled, only waited 2 weeks for delivery.

So despite the downsides, the Value for Money swung it for me.

Edited by camelspyyder

Toledo interior is a bit yuk in grey/black. Skoda offer choice of smarter looking interiors. Older spec cars have inferior ride & steering and less included kit - for Toledos in particular the 2014 spec marks the hidden upgrades as well as the obvious like Satnav and posher dash.

Am I reading that correctly; 2014 Toledos get the uprated dash like the Rapid did previously? So better materials and different colour inserts like the Rapid? :)

Spaceback from my own observations seems that bit more expensive and while you can get a good discount its not as much as on the notchback.

TP

Currently, brokers seem to be offering £2,500 off either the notchback or the Spaceback in 105TSi SE spec :) (and over £4,600 off the better equipped Toledo SE Nav!) Edited by Yeti_Man

You can get a brand new rapid for zero per cent finance and decent discount from dealer too. Have to be honest it does sound too good to be true (for the price - spec - size). My only concerns are the booming noise (see other threads) which seem to be causing some owners problems across rapid and octavia and lack of a warm engine (1.2 sounds excellent but I'd prefer under 10 seconds for 0-60). I've been watching new fabia combi carefully and I have a feeling that may be a slightly better buy - just waiting for prices and spec before making decision. Have to say though I'm very tempted by the rapid sport or new fabia combi. I'm also concerned by lack of rapids on the road - suspect new fabia will be more popular.

The 1.4TSI DSG is very nippy,,, not sure of the Acceleration numbers but feels very nippy to me!!!!!!!!!!! ;<) Booming noise is an issue and its great in all other respects,, so working hard (so other posts) to get some sort of acceptance and action.

I thought the same thing - what's the catch? I've had my Rapid Sport 1.2 105PS for 3 months now and I haven't found the catch yet - I love the thing! It's not the most exciting car I've ever driven, it doesn't have the luscious feel of more expensive cars and it's a bit noisier and transmits more bumps from the road than my in-laws family Focus....but it's huge, fast enough, very efficient (Maxi Dot tells me my lifetime average on it is 45mpg), and tbh when I'm loading my muddy mountain bike or tent into it, I don't *want* it to be luscious. 

Thanks all very interesting I'm a bit concerned about this booming I've heard mentioned but sometimes you get what you pay for and there are drawbacks to every car ( former alfa owner so I should know ). There's also a few Seat Leon's about in this sort of price range that are only fractionally older so that's a route to investigate as well I think. Thanks for all the replies.

I dont think this will concern the OP but it's really only a 4 seater due to being narrow.  If you need 5 seats look elsewhere.

Depends who's going in the back I guess. I've driven with my sister's twin girls plus 1 adult in the back a few times with no grumbles or complaints from the back, but I think 3 adults in the back for more than short journeys would certainly be a bit more uncomfortable.

It's a stretch to describe it as a 4 seater though, how wide are your friends? :)

• Like 2

Thanks all very interesting I'm a bit concerned about this booming I've heard mentioned but sometimes you get what you pay for and there are drawbacks to every car ( former alfa owner so I should know ). There's also a few Seat Leon's about in this sort of price range that are only fractionally older so that's a route to investigate as well I think. Thanks for all the replies.

I can't say I've experienced any booming noise in mine (bought in May last year), there is certainly a bit of tyre noise on rough surfaces though so it could be a case of how sensitive your hearing is to particular frequencies?  In any case, one poster who's had this issue fixed it himself by putting some foam on the parcel shelf, I think that was an Octavia 3 from memory so could be worth looking in that section.

you are not paying for those expensive rings on the front and back :)

4 on an audi (explains why it is the most expensive in VAG)

1 on the VW

not sure what it is but in VAG land , the more rings (especially interlinked ones) increase the price you have to pay

and from my personal experience the arrogance of the sales staff you have to deal with, was told several times "oh no we can't offer you anything but base trade as we could never have a skoda on our forecourt we would send it to auction only"

Edited by bluecar1
  • Like 2

Obviously the Audi people don't know what's under the bonnet of their cars, most small capacity petrol engines within the VAG group are made by Skoda, along with gearboxes and I also believe suspension components.

Reminds me how top American fighter pilots in the second war used to praise 'their' P51 Mustang; American made maybe but to a British design spec and the most successful models were RR Merlin powered :D

TP

• Like 2

Just bought a 2014 (March) Spaceback SE CR105  2200 miles ex demo for £10995. Seemed to good to miss at that price and it has a full size spare wheel! Only driven it it 40 miles so far, well pleased with it. When I picked it up a new Ford Focus was parked behind it and it made the Rapid looks small. The Focus looks quite wide, just what you don't want in narrow lanes or supermarket car parks. 

• Like 2

The boomy noise really isn't anything to be concerned about I hear it occasionally but it not that bad, just a little annoying. I really think the rapid is FANTASTIC value for money - especially the second hand market.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi just thought I'd update you. I have decided against the Rapid. Without wanting to cause offence on here it's just a bit too dull for me although it's good value for money. The interior I felt was a bit lacking in the quality department and that put me off a test drive. I'm now thinking of going back to mini or even test driving the new Kia Soul! Now that is a left field choice but I quite like them. Thanks for the replies and good luck with your Rapids.

• Like 1

Bought a Kia Soul Connect Plus today. Really enjoyed the test drive loads of kit dab nav usb bluetooth reversing camera etc and I was sold. Got a great deal I think and peace of mind. The looks are probably not for everyone I accept that but I'm very happy with it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...