Wet rear passenger footwell and damp marks on rear door

jukie88

Just want a rough idea of what's causing this, opened my rear doors today and it looks like the bottom of the doorcards goin up about 4 inches looks like its gotten wet :-( and my rear pass footwell is damp what's causing this ?? Door seals or is it something behind the doorcard?

Yup, had that with an 04 Fabia hatch; get yourself a small lidded pot of vegetable oil (nice-smelling preferably) and a smallish piece of plastic sponge, basically do all five door seals several times a week, wiping each seal right round, the seals dry out and shrink, oiling makes them swell back to nearer original factory size, about a month should sort it, happy bunny! Costs pence....

Richard

I'm not sure if you'll be able to wash the tidemarks out of the doorcards, if not replace them.  To prevent recurrence I would suggest you follow what's written in the link provided in the first answer. 

• Like 1

hello,

I had this problem on my 2002 fabia. I did the same as in the first reply, I used a high quality automotive silicone and put plenty on. I have not had a wet door card since.(12 months). 

earl.

Yup, had that with an 04 Fabia hatch; get yourself a small lidded pot of vegetable oil (nice-smelling preferably) and a smallish piece of plastic sponge, basically do all five door seals several times a week, wiping each seal right round, the seals dry out and shrink, oiling makes them swell back to nearer original factory size, about a month should sort it, happy bunny! Costs pence....

Richard

Only the problem isn't caused by the door seals it's caused by the seal between the carrier and door behind the door card. Wiping oil on the door seals won't make any difference at all.

• Like 2

Only the problem isn't caused by the door seals it's caused by the seal between the carrier and door behind the door card. Wiping oil on the door seals won't make any difference at all.

^^^What he said....

Standing water on the seals and water "witness" marks in any dust/grime on the door metalwork beneath the trim panel are clues.

• Like 1

As above, oil will do nothing!

Remove the door cards as per the guide, and what I'd recommend doing is dig out the old foam seal between the carrier and door with a small pick or screwdriver (to about half way up the carrier both sides). Then inject some Plumbers Gold between the gap. That should create a proper seal.

I did this a few years back and have had dry carpets ever since! :)

If the rear passenger footwell carpet is damp, then the whole floorpan will be soaking. The carpet and sound insualtion underneath will hold 10s of litres of water, the drivers side rear will be the same but the water level has not yet got up to the carpet.

You'll need to dry it out to avoid getting that mouldy damp smell, suggest those silicon drying pouches you can buy online.