New brochure - front assist and ACC

When ACC needs to reduce speed does it brake, and therefore apply the brake lights?

I've no experience of ACC but see cars with normal CC tap their brakes to disengage the system.

The flashing of the brake lights then results in an automatic application of the brakes from the car behind and so on. This I believe is a common cause for tailbacks.

I've no experience of ACC but see cars with normal CC tap their brakes to disengage the system.

That's not the car, it's the idiot inside doing that. Clearly, watching the road and traffic ahead, anticipating, and then doing a little flick of a finger or press of a button is far too much for their tiny, pea-sized brains to comprehend.

#drivingstandardsaaaaarrrrgggghhh

Now then, where is that soapbox of mine? Oh look, it's under my feet...

• Like 4

Cheer up!!! You are still getting an awesome motor!

Still happy mate! Just the timing....if this had happened 6/12 months from now I'd have thought nothing of it. But I really would have liked it. Not to worry :)

Well my dealership has confirmed I can change my order to include ACC so have given them the ok to add it.

There is at least some benefit to this long wait. Looking forward to seeing if XDS makes a difference.

• Like 1

When ACC needs to reduce speed does it brake, and therefore apply the brake lights?

The flashing of the brake lights then results in an automatic application of the brakes from the car behind and so on. This I believe is a common cause for tailbacks.

ACC will reduce speed by lifting off the throttle if the speed difference is small, and otherwise apply the brakes.

I'll probably figure out the exact heuristics over winter because it is impossible to see your own brake lights in daylight

That's not the car, it's the idiot inside doing that. Clearly, watching the road and traffic ahead, anticipating, and then doing a little flick of a finger or press of a button is far too much for their tiny, pea-sized brains to comprehend.

#drivingstandardsaaaaarrrrgggghhh

Now then, where is that soapbox of mine? Oh look, it's under my feet...

I think the majority of drivers does not have RTFM. They might also use it very rarely so they never learn by "playing" with it. I have explained how regular CC works to several friends and family members ("oh, can you accelerate with CC applied", "oh, can you disengage and engage using the stalk", etc etc

• Like 1

When I saw on here that a new brochure was out I requested one from Skoda.  It arrived today and I saw no difference from the last one I had seen, guess what it was dated 08/14, they must be trying to get rid of the old ones, off to dowmload one now.

sorry to be dumb but what is ACC ? air con?

Adaptive Cruise Control. Essentially it automatically adjusts the vehicles speed to maintain a safe following distance between vehicles in the same lane.

Nice feature but nothing for me to worry about on an SE based Black Edition! IIRC ACC was available at launch then pulled so perhaps any glitches have been ironed out.

Edited by Falkster

Nice feature but nothing for me to worry about on an SE based Black Edition! IIRC ACC was available at launch then pulled so perhaps any glitches have been ironed out.

I didn't think there were any glitches apart from a shortage of parts, as it was pulled from the UK market only.

Edited by gt40
  • Like 1

Not seen any of the ill effects mentioned earlier, but maybe it's all in how you use it*. I don't believe the crisp packet stories, although I have had a leaf settle in front of the radar, and I got a warning that the sensor was blind and ACC deactivated.

*Car slowing to turn left - that's for me to deal with, not ACC, for it's a judgement call.

Case in point re the front assist;

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6223

As for the car turning left, its not for you to deal with - its the front assist that makes the judgement. It'll slam the brakes on until the car in front has turned far enough left out of your way.

I went on a test drive last week before ordering (I was still deciding weather to get the TSI or TDI version) and finally got to drive an Octavia equipped with the adaptive cruise. I was amazed on how well it worked. I spent about an hour on a motorway without touching the pedals at all.

(I was ready to intervene several times as I saw a potentially difficult situation developing in front of me, but the system always reacted before I felt the need to do so myself.)

The system seems quite brilliant, and I'm glad I ordered mine equipped with it. Should make driving in traffic a lot more relaxed.

Edited by kallekilponen
  • Like 2