DAB Slideshows

HI guys, a quick question please. I know I drive a MK7 Golf but we all know the new Golf, Audi A3, Octavia and Seat Leon all share the MQB DNA, and are all pretty similar under the skin. I want to ask a question related to my Discover Nav Pro in the Golf, which as I understand it, the equivalent from Skoda would be the Columbus unit (8" Screen and built in HDD).

When I took delivery of the Golf in September last year, I noticed that when in DAB radio function, certain DAB stations would, in addition to the radio text, also automatically download and display larger logos for the "station info" screen as well as album covers, artist information etc for use in the slideshow screen. All of this worked quite well (and exactly as the user manual said it should). Then all of a sudden after a month, nothing - nowt, nada.

I checked in the station lists and those stations which broadcast this multimedia information were identified by having a star next to the station name in the list mode. Now, not one DAB station in my Golf has  this star ? I know I can download the station logos for the pre-set station button screen (which I have), but the problem is that when I flick to the "station info" screen, the logo on that screen appears the same tiny thumbnail size as it does on the pre-set station screen (no matter how large the original image was that I uploaded), and so looks tiny and totally lost in the larger screen real estate offered in this view (which I use a lot as the radio text is much bigger and easier to read when on the move).

Do you Skoda boys (and girls), get anything like this on your DAB stations, and if so, any chance of posting a screen shot so I can show my dealer (who can't seem to understand). Like I say, I'm not referring to the downloadable pre-set station logos which one can do themselves, but rather automatic station pictures (artist images and album covers etc) which should automatically download from DAB stations ?

I don't know if it's a problem with the car or if co-incidentally at the end of September last year, UK DAB stations changed in some way that now prohibits transmitting of this data ?

It's just something that niggles me.

The only station in the UK I know of reliably broadcasting a station logo is BBC World Service.

I am pretty sure when I have been around London though some other stations have.

You can make the station logos larger (up to 500x500 I think, but 400x400 is a safer bet) and then they will display larger in the slideshow view as long as you have assigned the station to a preset and then a logo to the preset (from USB or SD card).

My dealer is struggling to understand this and keeps assigning logos to presents and think they have fixed it. It is going back for the 4th time tomorrow for this issue. The problem is that Skoda Technical in the UK don't understand it either and they are advising the dealer on what to do. It is like banging your head against a brick wall sometimes.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Andy, thanks for your help, this is a screen shot from my vehicle. As you can see, my software is 0179 - I know this is a VW and not a Skoda, but is this the 01xx firmware you refer to. Strange that it used to work just fine when I first took delivery ?

10067285716_1f614847f2_o.jpg

Yep, they don't work on 0179 as far as I know. They definitely don't work on 0101 or 0110. Pretty certain it was documented in the change log for 0200 that DAB logos were fixed in that release. You have old maps on there as well :)

You haven't had a replacement unit under warranty have you?

No original unit as delivered with the car last September.

The maps are actually up to date (May 2014), it just that it's a photo from late last year.

So do you think I should be pushing the dealer for a software update ?

Any idea where I'd find the change logs for the newer softwares to see whats changed ?

• 3 weeks later...

What would be nice is a link to the latest firmware so we could fix this ourselves!

My 2014 Octavia (bought in March) flatly refuses to display OTA logos (except BBC World Service), but my wife's brand new VW Polo (delivered a couple of weeks ago) is happily displaying every single DAB OTA logo going!

Well, just a quick update, following on from andyvee's comments about that it may have been fixed for software 0200 onwards, my car is in the dealers tomorrow for a software update.

I've had about half a dozen lock-ups of the navigation and the unit just freezing since I got it last year (so not exactly all the time and liveable), but used that as the excuse when talking to the dealer, and they confirmed my software was very old and the later one should solve my issues ?

Well, fingers crossed, I'll keep you posted !

• Like 1

Try the link below for the station logos

http://www.volkswagen.de/de/models/golf_7/brochure/senderlogos.html

This would give me the small logos, but not the big 5cm x 5cm ones on the DAB 'radio information' screen. Besides - my wife's new VW Polo is downloading these fine over the airwaves, and her car cost considerably less than mine.

I don't think its right that I have to do all this by hand!

This would give me the small logos, but not the big 5cm x 5cm ones on the DAB 'radio information' screen. Besides - my wife's new VW Polo is downloading these fine over the airwaves, and her car cost considerably less than mine.

Is her car downloading logos for every station selected or just from the BBC for example?

I think they are pre loaded on the vws as they preload German logos on to the Columbus. There is mention of it on the copyright info screen on my Columbus.

Is her car downloading logos for every station selected or just from the BBC for example?

It seems to be downloading them - I have tried the most obscure stations on the list and they still show a logo. It's not just BBC, but all my local independent ones as well.

Andyvee - if they were pre-loaded how would it know which logos to match to which stations if I am tuning them in for the first time?

Out of curiosity - the Columbus is a re-badged VW RNS-510 isn't it?

What is my Amundsen a re-badged version of? (standard issue on Octavia 2014 elegance)

No they aren't. These are the MIB units so the Columbus is a Discover Pro and the Amundsen a Discover Media

No they aren't. These are the MIB units so the Columbus is a Discover Pro and the Amundsen a Discover Media

Anyone know of a link to some firmware for the Discover units then?

Thanks Andyvee

Looks like I will have to do my best to persuade my dealer that the only way to 'fix' my Dab radio's lack of slideshow icons is for a firmware update.

And if that doesn't work (or they won't do it) then I might have to go down the road of 'not fit for purpose' (which would be a shame as its otherwise awesome - the CANTON addition really does make a difference to sound quality!)

Thanks Andyvee

Looks like I will have to do my best to persuade my dealer that the only way to 'fix' my Dab radio's lack of slideshow icons is for a firmware update.

And if that doesn't work (or they won't do it) then I might have to go down the road of 'not fit for purpose' (which would be a shame as its otherwise awesome - the CANTON addition really does make a difference to sound quality!)

Do you have the Amundsen?

Well quick update as I've just had a call from the dealers, and to be honest today has been a little waste of time.

All they did today was scan the car for fault codes (of which there were none -- I know, I checked), then wrote a report to VW asking for an update DVD to be authorised under warranty.Whilst they did say it was pretty much a no brainer to get authorisation, it might take a few days so I'll have to book the car in yet again !

So the current update is no update............yet :notme:

I'll keep you posted and most importantly if it fixes the DAB slideshow issue when it is eventually done, as I'm sure it must be the same fault on VW (Nav and Nav Pro) and Skoda (Amundsen and Columbus) units ?

Do you have the Amundsen?

Yes - the Amundsen

I have found two London stations (Heart and Capital) who have logos that show up. In the Station List they show folder icons next to them so they are doing something different to all the other DAB stations! But the Polo doesn't seem to care about that and happily displays logos for pretty much every DAB station out there!

(My wife's Polo is also able to download icons OTA for FM stations too! The more I look the more irritated I become!!!!!)

It can't download logos OTA for FM stations, there isn't a suitable data carrier?

So, the logos are somehow pre loaded and then matched to the stations by name and or frequency or some other unique identifier

I'll look into how it is implemented for the German station logos as they are definitely pre loaded to my Columbus.