£1 per litre

James I

Is it just my local station or is there a bit of a petrol feeding frenzy at this 99.9 pence per litre price?

My local Tescos seems to have some of its pumps closed off and I wonder if, as it appear the non-supermarket look quieter, that petrol car drivers particularly are gravitating to the supermarkets rather than no-supermarkets and maybe filling up when they might only put half a tank or so in the car and supermarkets are running lower on stock and awaiting deliveries I wonder?

Edited by lol-lol

Thought I might have to but some expensive Motorway fuel having to travel Worcester-Dartmoor-Worcester in 24 hours over Xmas-Boxing day after filling up with 99p fuel at Tescos (Am Ex and Tesco points earned too) but Jaaag went there and back without filling and still had 90 miles of fuel left so can fill up with cheap Tescos fuel tomorrow.   

Thought about may treat the car to some 99 Octane although, as a US-Duratec engine, it can actually run on 91/92 octane apparently.   Car clicked over 150k miles but still managed 42 mpg on the way back, with the wind behind it admittedly but still I am still very impressed with it and averaging 70 mph too.  Be interested to see how much the Dacia is doing the same journey for New Year.   Great to have this reduced output of money leaving more fore other things but the problem for the reduction by hundreds of millions of pounds of VAT for the UK government coffers is also a big problem on the flip side for them as can be seen by the PSBR figure recently. 

Edited by lol-lol

• 2 weeks later...

So diesel is now finely under £1 a litre at the big 4 Supermarket's filling stations.

Tesco Momentum 99 Super Unleaded petrol & Sainsburys Super Unleaded (97 ron) now well priced.

Enjoy it while it lasts as the combination of a falling British pound against the US dollar and oil prices now rising due to the Iran Saudi argument looks like driving it back up again soon sadly. 

Enjoy it while it lasts as the combination of a falling British pound against the US dollar and oil prices now rising due to the Iran Saudi argument looks like driving it back up again soon sadly. 

Octy 1/4 tank and Fabia is bingo on diesel.... Must fill them up over the next 2 days then :(

Over supply and large quantities in storage mean that any rise in fuel prices is likely to be short lived and will be based on political rather than economic reasons. If Saudi and Iran embarked on a war, then things might change, particularity if they targeted each others oil fields which resulted in a reduction in output. But a slowdown in the Chinese economy is dampening world demand for oil.

Most likely cause of any up and coming fuel price increase is through the chancellor raising fuel duty in the March budget.  

Over supply and large quantities in storage mean that any rise in fuel prices is likely to be short lived and will be based on political rather than economic reasons. If Saudi and Iran embarked on a war, then things might change, particularity if they targeted each others oil fields which resulted in a reduction in output. But a slowdown in the Chinese economy is dampening world demand for oil.

Most likely cause of any up and coming fuel price increase is through the chancellor raising fuel duty in the March budget.  

Mad day on the markets.  Oil finally down in the last hour but was about 3% for much of the day.   Hope you are right about prices, seems plenty of production in places other than Iran but Saudi damage to the oil market would be big if Iran hit Damman etc.  Bought a couple of thousand tonnes of fuel there a few year ago to top the boat off to pop down to Oz.

Gideon does need to do something to plug the £72B gap in his finances and fuel duty is a place that is very attractive to use as one as it is so efficient.  

99.79p for Diesel this afternoon at Morrisons :thumbup:

99.7 in Tesco Dundee.. Actually cheaper than petrol.

Got a surprise at that, it's a 4p drop.

99.7 in Tesco Dundee.. Actually cheaper than petrol.

Got a surprise at that, it's a 4p drop.

Let us enjoy it whilst we can as GBP against USD has dropped below 1.47, oil seems stable around $36/37 a barrel though.

How low can the GBP go before UK looks at raising interest rates to underpin it?

I don't think BOE considers foreign exchange rates when contemplating interest rate changes, its supposed to be chasing a 2% UK inflation target ? Even if exchange rates adds a bit to UK fuel prices gov will likely think better export chances will offset effects on UK GDP.   :sun:

I don't think BOE considers foreign exchange rates when contemplating interest rate changes, its supposed to be chasing a 2% UK inflation target ? Even if exchange rates adds a bit to UK fuel prices gov will likely think better export chances will oas the jffset effects on UK GDP.   :sun:

The UK government/BoE know that 85% of what the UK buys is priced in USDs and therefore a weaker GBP/USD means imports are more expensive.  Oil, as a commodity, had become cheaper due to more than halving in USD price but it is all the other goods that will become more expensive and feed in to inflation. The RoE I will work for the start of Jan16 is 1.5003 compared to 1.521 for Dec15 so about 1.4% more expensive for all USD imports and USD spot rate is currently 1.4657.  If we get a movement of over 5% we use a revised exchange rate for imports.

UK inflation will jump considerably mid year  as the June 15 crash in oil prices works it way through so the annualised inflation figure does not look so good.  Not sure we can or should believe in the 7 year cycle but it is 7 years since the 2008 and there are lots of signs that a correction is occurring with our UK and other markets down 15-20% from where there were at the start of last year.  Hope it is not but best enjoy what we can know and fix the roof for rate rises some of other related factors.  UK finances are not in a good place with the UK debt risen from some 50% of GDP in 2010 to about 83% of GDP currently and still rising quite quickly ie about £6B a month sadly.

Edited by lol-lol

Local Shell is 101.9 for both diesel & petrol. Morrisons just along the road is 99.9 for petrol & 99.7 for diesel - first time I've seen it lower in many years.

it looks like petrol could drop as low as £1 per litre as the super markets are gearing up for a price war. 

I have read this in the Daily Mirror so it must be true, take a look 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/personal-finance/fuel-set-fall-1-litre-4505655

Personally I am doubtful this will happen but would be happy if it did.

I said it would drop t less than a quid a litre it just took longer than I thought. Let's enjoy it whilst it lasts.

My just buy a partial petrol fill up in I fill up in any of the fleet in the next day or two as crude prices continue to fall quickly, thankfully quicker than the gradually falling GBP so the net effect should be cheaper imported oil for the refineries.

Might try some 99 octane for the Jaag, and even Chevy and Dacia just to give it a bit of a clean thru. 

Filled up both cars over last 2 days and diesel was 88.1ppl :( I was hoping it to have dropped to below 85ppl tbh Got 47 litres into the Octy with zero miles range but over 53 litres into the Fabia with 5 miles range lol. 

Filled up both cars over last 2 days and diesel was 88.1ppl :( I was hoping it to have dropped to below 85ppl tbh Got 47 litres into the Octy with zero miles range but over 53 litres into the Fabia with 5 miles range lol. 

Thought the Fabia was great for vent filling and getting well over 50 litre in and hence managed get get over 600 miles range on occasion even out of petrol L&Ks, VRSs.

On this side of St George's channel diesel has fallen to just below the petrol's 99.9 to 99.7 at biggest retailer Tescos.  Annoys me so holding off buying a full tanks of petrol until balanced restored.  Mind you have a thousand miles to drive next week so will be forced to buy a couple of hundred litres next week, rats.   Hope the further falls in crude prices been another penny or two off per litre!

Edited by lol-lol

That's a bit cheaper than when I was in NI 18 months ago! BP Ultimate was £1.50/litre back then (no V-Power that I could find where we were). Filled up last night at 109.9p/litre with V-Power, which is the cheapest to go in the Yeti so far. Sep'07 was the last time I bought diesel at just £1/litre. That was for my Octy, and it was just 80p/litre back in Mar'03 when I bought it.

That's a bit cheaper than when I was in NI 18 months ago! BP Ultimate was £1.50/litre back then (no V-Power that I could find where we were). Filled up last night at 109.9p/litre with V-Power, which is the cheapest to go in the Yeti so far. Sep'07 was the last time I bought diesel at just £1/litre. That was for my Octy, and it was just 80p/litre back in Mar'03 when I bought it.

I think Shell has left NI now, certainly no Shell's within 80 or 90 miles of me! I used to run the 2011 vRS on V-Power diesel in Holland as for the last 18 months there, there was a price war between shell and LukOil making it much cheaper than tesco diesel in the UK muwhahahah I seem to remain fairly lucky with being able to get lower than average prices for diesel. Long may it live! NI cheapest price I have seen at moment is 99.7ppl in an Asda, then next Asda is 102.9 cheeky gits! 

Edited by FUBAR
  • Like 1

It's not just regional. Fuel is normally 3p/L more expensive in Burton upon Trent than in Derby, which is about 10 miles away.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I live in Burton, 99/L at the moment.

Been a long time since I've seen the volume go up faster then the price.

Oil down again today.

Can't see Georgie boy resting from upping duty in the budget especially on diesel.

I just had a look at my home heating oil on the gauge in the kitchen :( still just over half a tank 6/10th's. I have been using it as much as I want recently in a bid to try and burn as much as I can in order to fill her up while the prices are down. But in a year bar a couple of weeks I have only used 300 litres :( Damn the efficient boiler and wall/loft insulation stuff! :( Last year it dropped at this time too so I was in the same boat and only managed to get 450 litres by brimming the tank and filling some barrels.