£1 per litre

James I

Well the Euro has just taken a big dive, lets see how the Pound fairs against it over the next week.

Still 105.9 at the independent here in Malvern - unless they snuck a price drop out after dark and I missed it.

(106..9 at Morrisons, BP and Texaco).

The British Pound has also dropped against the US Dollar not just quite as much as the Euro and now is showing below 1.5 USD/GBP ie 1.4992 so the landed cost of oil is becoming more expensive duty to the UK's weaker currency and that oil is priced in USDs.

We should see furrther falls in the price of diesel and petrol on the forecourt as the halving of the price of crude oil but this is moderated by the fact the only a few months ago the GB pound was at 1.7 USD/GBP and is now below 1.5 USD/GBP.

That the Euro is falling steadily against GBP, just not as quick as against USD, should mean better deals on cars sold here in the main, as most cars sold here are European mainland manufactured and with the Euro as their cost base, even most of those cars made here in the UK but this is not so good for Honda, Nissan and Toyota production in the UK of course selling their cars in to mainland Europe when they have wage cost in GBP.

Mate's hubby just been binned from the rigs. Just got a new little 'un too.

Looking for other work now.

If the SNP get control and go in to coalition, with Labour I guess, then there will be a lot of new jobs in Plymouth and Portsmouth to look after the nuclear subs.  Losing oil jobs and Faslane would be quite painful.  We have two offices to support oil and gas in Aberdeen as well as a worldwide oil and gas logistics division.  Doing some enquiry for the Fallkland Islands at present.

Oil and Gas will probably bounce back in 2016/7 when the Saudis stop planning chicken with other oil producers.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like £1 a litre is not going to happen now as crude oil prices bouncing back up to $50 WT/ $55 Brent and combine that with the weak GB pound getting only 1.5 USD/GBP it looks like we may have seen the bottom. 

At least we got less than £1 a litre in Birmingham, and Northern Ireland if you are willing to cross border shop! 

its not really gone up that much, probably a blip caused by the cold weather here and in the US.

Yeah the higher demand will have the effect of upping prices. If this was summer (without the demand for oil and its sub products from the refineries), I suspect we would already be sub £1.

I was low on fuel when I left today and light had come on, I timed it well and got to the pumps 5 miles after 0 range......... :peek: Went to a boarder town and paid £0.95 per litre for diesel at Esso :sun:   71.2mpg average on the way back home after I reset it with a warm engine.  :cocktail:

Supporting the Southern Ireland Government I see by paying their Excise duties rather than the UK ones. They do need the taxes of course but then so do we with our 1.4 Trillion pound national debt. I can understand why many in Northern Ireland do it, some for personal finance reasons and some for political as well. I suppose it is tit for tat as those in Southern Ireland do come over and buy lots of good in our shops like the Wallmart and Einiskillen which is one of the busiest in the world due to cross border shopping. I think, diesel owners at least, not us petrol owners of course, are jealous you have the choice.

Good on you.

• Like 1

Supporting the Southern Ireland Government I see by paying their Excise duties rather than the UK ones. They do need the taxes of course but then so do we with our 1.4 Trillion pound national debt. I can understand why many in Northern Ireland do it, some for personal finance reasons and some for political as well. I suppose it is tit for tat as those in Southern Ireland do come over and buy lots of good in our shops like the Wallmart and Einiskillen which is one of the busiest in the world due to cross border shopping. I think, diesel owners at least, not us petrol owners of course, are jealous you have the choice.

Good on you.

Yea 'Enniskillen' Asda has been the most profitable Asda in the UK a good few times and 4th world wide in the Wallmart group. One of the unique things about that branch, the manager is given the authority to set the exchange rate to whatever he wants on a daily basis (as they will accept both GBP and Euro. It is often cheaper if you have a the ability to do so, to pay in Euro as it's favorable. The car park is always rammed and it's spot the UK plate time (more so at weekends as it's died off a bit now). 

Fuel purchase location is a very individual thing, I live very close to the border, however this is the 2nd time in a year I have used it as it used to save me £20 a tank 7 years ago, but more recent times it's been perhaps £5 making it uneconomical to go there just for fuel. So I do it when passing sort of thing. But at moment it's 15p a litre difference....... The filling station I use has 6 car pumps and only 2 are priced in Euro, which is a reflection in the cross border trade! With the tax side of things, I have no moral stance on paying less due to another government not fleecing it's people quite as much. The political divide would generally never owe any loyalty from either side as to their preference at the pumps, people mainly choose more with their wallets. Additional to that, the filling station I went to is one I have used on and off for years since sub 50p a litre and as a consumer, I arrive to attended pumps staffed by a friendly family, they round the price down to the nearest 50p and every year in December give out a pen and calendar to their customers. Regular customers who use it a lot tend to also get a bottle of whiskey as well! UK wide I arrive at a filling station, I generally serve myself and then have to deal with a miserable gurning sod behind the counter.  :thumbdown: NI also has a huge problem with laundered fuel nation wide all bar super markets you could be getting such crap and paying a premium for it! BP, Texaco, all of them! Government stats estimated 40% of fuel sold at filling stations thought to be illegal/laundered about 5 years ago. They keep finding massive fuel laundering plans in rural areas and costs run into the millions to clean the sites up per year off the tax payer :(

petrol was 6p more than diesel :D

A couple of local garages are down to below £1 a litre now. Like Mannyo, I used my tesco fuel save to get 20p off so paid 84.9p a litre! :D Was very strange seeing so many litres for £££. Brimmed the octavia for the first time ever too

Local Tesco has all the promotional signs up for saving on fuel on your shopping amount etc etc, but doesn't have a filling station!!!!!!  :@ It's ok though as the next tesco up the road has one...... over an hour up the road!  :wall:

Yea 'Enniskillen' Asda has been the most profitable Asda in the UK a good few times and 4th world wide in the Wallmart group. One of the unique things about that branch, the manager is given the authority to set the exchange rate to whatever he wants on a daily basis (as they will accept both GBP and Euro. It is often cheaper if you have a the ability to do so, to pay in Euro as it's favorable. The car park is always rammed and it's spot the UK plate time (more so at weekends as it's died off a bit now). 

Fuel purchase location is a very individual thing, I live very close to the border, however this is the 2nd time in a year I have used it as it used to save me £20 a tank 7 years ago, but more recent times it's been perhaps £5 making it uneconomical to go there just for fuel. So I do it when passing sort of thing. But at moment it's 15p a litre difference....... The filling station I use has 6 car pumps and only 2 are priced in Euro, which is a reflection in the cross border trade! With the tax side of things, I have no moral stance on paying less due to another government not fleecing it's people quite as much. The political divide would generally never owe any loyalty from either side as to their preference at the pumps, people mainly choose more with their wallets. Additional to that, the filling station I went to is one I have used on and off for years since sub 50p a litre and as a consumer, I arrive to attended pumps staffed by a friendly family, they round the price down to the nearest 50p and every year in December give out a pen and calendar to their customers. Regular customers who use it a lot tend to also get a bottle of whiskey as well! UK wide I arrive at a filling station, I generally serve myself and then have to deal with a miserable gurning sod behind the counter.  :thumbdown: NI also has a huge problem with laundered fuel nation wide all bar super markets you could be getting such crap and paying a premium for it! BP, Texaco, all of them! Government stats estimated 40% of fuel sold at filling stations thought to be illegal/laundered about 5 years ago. They keep finding massive fuel laundering plans in rural areas and costs run into the millions to clean the sites up per year off the tax payer :(

petrol was 6p more than diesel :D

Interesting insight.

I have done the occasional exercise with the Road Fuel Testing Unit looking for the red marker for diesel which is excise duty free and it can still show even after several fill ups with non-marked fuel due to the mixing in the fuel injection system.  Like with bootlegged goods customs can seize the vehicle carrying/using.   The marker in Holland is green I recall. 

Still not sure why UK diesel is so much more than petrol as the tax is the same as opposed to all other continental, and Eire, where they put on considerable less tax on diesel.  possibly winter factor but that has seemed less pronounced recently.

USD to GBP exchange rate has had a bit of a bounce but so has crude oil prices so most places still around 105 p a litre for 95 octane and 110 p for 97/99 Octane sadly. 

Fill your boots (but not plastic drums for later use as proved by Brummie taxi driver whose house burnt down when caught fire).  

Local Tesco has all the promotional signs up for saving on fuel on your shopping amount etc etc, but doesn't have a filling station!!!!!! :@ It's ok though as the next tesco up the road has one...... over an hour up the road! :wall:

Yeah I hated it when I worked at Sainsburys and fuel offers were on, our nearest fuel station is about 45min away.

• Like 1

Interesting insight.

I have done the occasional exercise with the Road Fuel Testing Unit looking for the red marker for diesel which is excise duty free and it can still show even after several fill ups with non-marked fuel due to the mixing in the fuel injection system.  Like with bootlegged goods customs can seize the vehicle carrying/using.   The marker in Holland is green I recall. 

Still not sure why UK diesel is so much more than petrol as the tax is the same as opposed to all other continental, and Eire, where they put on considerable less tax on diesel.  possibly winter factor but that has seemed less pronounced recently.

USD to GBP exchange rate has had a bit of a bounce but so has crude oil prices so most places still around 105 p a litre for 95 octane and 110 p for 97/99 Octane sadly. 

Fill your boots (but not plastic drums for later use as proved by Brummie taxi driver whose house burnt down when caught fire).  

ROI is green marker on duty free too and I think Spain does for it's standard fuel? Issue here is not people using red or green diesel in normal road vehicles (not that it doesn't happen), it's laundered fuel which has had the marker removed or masked. Like these results, it's all the time and big business on industrial scale, always been a big revenue stream for the ira also. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fuel+plant+found&oq=fuel+plant+found&aqs=chrome..69i57.4141j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

http://youtu.be/3uMiT4cHWkA

All well and good the advice in that news story about not buying it, but in NI you are driving down a road and need to fill up and pull into a branded filling station (as they all are), all shiny modern, normal looking. You have no idea what the scum bag who owns it has put in his ground tanks and is charging full price for, which here generally is higher than in GB.... That's why I stick to Asda, as it more or less eliminates the risk.  

LOL at the taxi drivers drums. It is so so so common here to go to the filling stations at the border and see a car being filled and boot open with 4 to 8 25 litre drums also being filled (depending on size of car)! Guarda and PSNI stopping vehicles take no action. All that is checked for is red or green diesel. 

ROI is green marker on duty free too and I think Spain does for it's standard fuel? Issue here is not people using red or green diesel in normal road vehicles (not that it doesn't happen), it's laundered fuel which has had the marker removed or masked. Like these results, it's all the time and big business on industrial scale, always been a big revenue stream for the ira also. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fuel+plant+found&oq=fuel+plant+found&aqs=chrome..69i57.4141j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

http://youtu.be/3uMiT4cHWkA

All well and good the advice in that news story about not buying it, but in NI you are driving down a road and need to fill up and pull into a branded filling station (as they all are), all shiny modern, normal looking. You have no idea what the scum bag who owns it has put in his ground tanks and is charging full price for, which here generally is higher than in GB.... That's why I stick to Asda, as it more or less eliminates the risk.  

LOL at the taxi drivers drums. It is so so so common here to go to the filling stations at the border and see a car being filled and boot open with 4 to 8 25 litre drums also being filled (depending on size of car)! Guarda and PSNI stopping vehicles take no action. All that is checked for is red or green diesel. 

Fake fuel and fake other excise goods is huge business.  I did an invedtigation on one supermarket where an employee was subsituting his fake goods for real ones so he could sell te real ones easier. 

Fake cigarettes and particularly Vodka, are produced with labelling looking very similar to the real ones, multi-billion pound industry.  The dangerous ingredients in these fake goods can be very bad for one, cancer causing chemicals. 

Good advice to always be aware and alert that, where there is big money to be made, fake acohol, tobacco (if one use that already dangerous goods) and fuel, as far as possible ensure you are getting the genuine goods and not fakes. 

Groups, paramilitary of all creeds, naturally gravitate to orgtanised crime to fund their actvities amf lifestyle.  Having warn a bullet proof (more resistant then actually proof) when challenging smuggling activities it gives one no doubt that this is not just a bit of tax evasion but serious actvity that affect lives majorly. 

If things sound too cheap to be true they often are not true!  

• Like 1

The prices in my town have started to go up again :(

It was 105/113.9 noticed at the weekend it was 106.  Tonight I filled up and was 107/115.9. This was all at my local Shell garage.

I wonder how rapidly they will rise again. I'm sure it'll be faster that they fell!

The prices in my town have started to go up again :(

It was 105/113.9 noticed at the weekend it was 106.  Tonight I filled up and was 107/115.9. This was all at my local Shell garage.

I wonder how rapidly they will rise again. I'm sure it'll be faster that they fell!

Crude oil has been climbing, almost 20% from its lows, so that is going to start feeding through, USD/GBP is quite poor compared to where it has been ie 1.7 USD/GBP, but it has stabilised from its recent falls but near the election it go well go south big time.

I in a blind panic have been trying to burn as much home heating oil as I can with flagrant excess warmth goodness so that I could get a good sized order in. Friggin prices have jumped a fair bit in last week and I have had to bite the bullet and have a delivery tomorrow to neck the tank :( Diesel here is 116ppl ........... I have just under half a tank of my 95ppl wonder juice, must check the prices on border as 21ppl would be a worth while saving to drive sub 10 miles for. 

Texaco and BP snuck a penny on a few days ago, taking it to 107.9. My local independent is still holding out at 105.9 though, as is Morrisons.

The main weapon is perhaps to not fill the tank but only do a three quarters fill to back up the supply chain.

Never so easy when Skoda put such small fuel tanks in their cars compared to some other manufacturers.

I try to use the independent garage as often as possible; in the two years BEFORE petrol prices slumped, this garage forced the price of petrol down in Malvern, penny by penny - from the highest price in the West Midlands - to one of the lowest. Yes Morrisons have the same price currently - and has loyalty cards and money back offers, but for 99% of the time, this small garage undercuts them by 1-2ppl.

I try to use the independent garage as often as possible; in the two years BEFORE petrol prices slumped, this garage forced the price of petrol down in Malvern, penny by penny - from the highest price in the West Midlands - to one of the lowest. Yes Morrisons have the same price currently - and has loyalty cards and money back offers, but for 99% of the time, this small garage undercuts them by 1-2ppl.

It is odd that both Malvern and Worcester and more expensive than say Broomsgrove, Redditch and the closer you get to Brum.  Presume it is a combination of higher turnover and the locals just not being so price contious.

With me it has to be Tescos as they are the only firm that sells 99 octane as there is no Shell garage for some distance to sell their Nitro brand.

Next cars (Dacia and Clio) I think are both 95 Octane so less hassle from then onwards.