Bushes

Prasg

If it were me, I would have had the brakes fixed ASAP, as I would think the braking distance of the car must  increase as the efficiency of them has decreased, but my son is... .. well you can take a horse to water but can't make it drink.

Anyway, surely if the garage, which also does MOTs had thought it was a safety problem they would have pushed for it being done very soon. That is what makes me think the situation isn't too bad.

Point taken about the horse/water thing; I was (over)reacting to the casual way you wrote about it, more than the likelihood that there is anything wrong to the point of 'definitely' reducing performance of the brakes.  Like you, I like to fix things (myself when I can, to avoid the underwear-lowering) as soon as they become evident, but there's an awful lot of people who don't like tinkering with cars as much as I do, or paying for others to do so on their behalf.

Reminds me of a lady at work who asked me to check her tyres prior to an MOT recently.  When I told her I thought they'd pass (just), she gave me the distinct impression that they wouldn't get another glance 'til the following test.  She's nice enough that I'll keep a discreet eye on them for her...

• Like 1

Reminds me of a lady at work who asked me to check her tyres prior to an MOT recently.  When I told her I thought they'd pass (just), she gave me the distinct impression that they wouldn't get another glance 'til the following test.  She's nice enough that I'll keep a discreet eye on them for her...

My neighbour (now deceased). had an old Astra. Three tyres were just above the minimum tread and one was worn well below. Just before his MOT he replaced that with  the spare (just above minimum as well) so it would pass - they don't check spares I think (or didn't used to). After the MOT, the illegal tyre went back on. How silly is that!

He eventually went to have it checked today. CV joints (as guessed by members - thanks) and uneven brake wear/contact. Joints not dangerous and brakes to be done next MOT time - May.

This garage spent time checking and discussing with my son whilst he was checking it out and showing him the problems.... and didn't charge him anything. He doesn't want me to say which the 'bad' garage was in an earlier post, but this one today was recommended to him and was a Mr Clutch (Sheffield)

Just make sure he know that if the clicking noise changes at all, (i.e louder, for longer) he gets it checked again. For his safety mainly (well and mine, as I'm from Sheff, I don't want to meet his car coming uncontrolled accross the road towards me!)

Just make sure he know that if the clicking noise changes at all, (i.e louder, for longer) he gets it checked again. For his safety mainly (well and mine, as I'm from Sheff, I don't want to meet his car coming uncontrolled accross the road towards me!)

:rofl:

And seriously, yes will do.