First proper drive in the Citigo

2SkodaFamily

Normally, I'm in the Superb, and my wife drives the Citigo. However she's away for half term with the Superb (and the kids) so I have the little car at the moment. So even though we've had this car for a few months, this has been my first real time with it over any sort of distance.

I took it from Yorkshire to Milton Keynes this weekend and I can honestly say it's a brilliant little car. It cruises well on the motorway (although I do miss cruise control) and I'm particularly impressed with the way it'll pick up speed if required at motorway speeds. Now admittedly, large parts of the M1 are set to 50mph roadworks but in other places I was doing an indicated 75mph or thereabouts and it still gave an indicated 68mpg.

I did 200 miles or thereabouts in one go on Friday and go out feeling like I'd been driving a much bigger car. I have to say I've got quite a soft spot for it now! B)

• Like 3

They are truly great to drive. Handling is brilliant. Doesn't struggle at speed, and such good fuel efficiency.

And the cabin is so spacious for such a small car. I'm 6foot 4, and have no problem fitting in it. Plenty of space,but still with the benefit of that small car practicality; the turning circle is amazing.

Yep, it's a bit of a TARDIS on wheels... it comfortably beats our Toyota Verso for room despite being half the size. Also, I don't know if this is just me, but I always end up chuckling to myself when I park it in a supermarket car park. It's so easy to park compared to the size of car I normally drive.

I pick up our new Yeti on Thursday and I'm already thinking of reasons to pinch the Citigo for the odd day here and there.

• Like 1

Had an utterly dreadful 1.2 diesel Roomster when my car was in the dealer this week - if I never drive the Roomster ever again, it'll be too soon, dreadful dog of a car.  But it did make me appreciate the CitiGo's handling, comfort and nippiness more than ever!

Very impressed with the Monte Carlo, my head tells me that it is all shirt and no trousers but it is an indecent amount of fun.

1500 miles in just over the month and averaging 50mpg. The old Kia Picanto would never go over 42mpg.

I too am built for comfort rather than speed and 6ft. Loads of room. My only gripe is the lack of reach adjust on the steering. I like the steering wheel in my lap.

Rob

We're thinking of down-sizing from a Yeti tour de france 4x4 to a 5 door, corrida red, SE Citigo and i'm just trying to convince the other half.  We would save well over £200 pcm on pcp and also around £500 year on year savings too with regards to petrol consumption and insurance costs.

Fingers crossed. 

Does the PID work well and does the SE come with DAB?

Thanks

Dave

I don't believe any Citigos come with DAB at present, although with VW now having DAB as standard on all vehicles I doubt it will be too long before its available on the Citigo.

• Like 1

No DAB (all the other Black editions have it but not the Citigo).

I really like the PID but I know that others have had more mixed experiences (mine is also still rather new)

Mine has the 6 speaker set up which is excellent. I know that the two speaker set up is criticised in What Car for being 'tinny'.

Rob

I love mine too. Its a fun little car and although they are cheap its very well built.

I have been driving our octy vrs to work lately trying to keep the miles down on the citigo but i cant wait to take it for a blast out

New on the forum, so hello everyone. I'm another 6'4" driver and can only echo the comments made here. I took ours to London for the day (about 190 mile round trip) and although it had less than 100 miles on the clock when I left, I was very impressed by the keen engine and its lovely three-pot thrum, fun handling, the complete absence of squeaks and rattles (do they stay like that?), reported fuel economy and the general feel that the front passenger compartment has been taken from a much bigger car and slotted into a little one with go-kart handling. It doesn't feel at all out of its depth on the motorway.

I'd back up the comment about wanting the steering wheel lower.

Edited by Citigopher
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forum.

My citigo is just over a year old and has not developed any noises yet (touch wood) only thing it has now got is a huge dent down the door due to a nice person opening their door on it but that isnt the citigo's fault

• Like 1

No DAB (all the other Black editions have it but not the Citigo).

I really like the PID but I know that others have had more mixed experiences (mine is also still rather new)

Mine has the 6 speaker set up which is excellent. I know that the two speaker set up is criticised in What Car for being 'tinny'.

Rob

The sound of the stereo reminds me of old Minis and my old mark 1 Fiesta! But in a good, nostalgic sort of way! :)

However, last night I drove it in the dark and rain and on unlit roads the lights were utterly pants. I looked around in vain for headlight adjustment but, finding none, I assumed that was down to it being a cheap car.

I found the adjustment this morning, craftily hidden behind the steering wheel, perfectly placed for me not to see it when I was driving. :doh:

I have had some clumsy idiots do my passenger side 3 times in the last 4 months, so I know how you feel jp.

Welcome to the forum Citigopher .i have had my Citigo nearly a year only mistake I made was buying the the 3 door because I liked the look more ,I'm now waiting for a five door to arrive more practical i hope ,and if it's good as first I will be very happy. [emoji4]

• Like 1

However, last night I drove it in the dark and rain and on unlit roads the lights were utterly pants. I looked around in vain for headlight adjustment but, finding none, I assumed that was down to it being a cheap car.

I found the adjustment this morning, craftily hidden behind the steering wheel, perfectly placed for me not to see it when I was driving. :doh:

Th adjustment is very craftily hidden.

If you're finding the lights a little rubbish - which I think most of us are - you could always upgrade. I do a lot of driving on motorways and windy unlit B roads late at night travelling to and from friends/girlfriends. Because of this, I got the 120% brightness Halfords bulbs. There's a buy one get one free thing on just now on bulbs which made it more cost effective than other bulbs. And it has actually made a difference. :-)

• Like 1