Smooth remapping?

OK - I'm coming over to the sooty side (although I am keeping the 20VT as well).

I am looking at a Fabia VRS at the moment.

I have a Forge FMIC for the PD 130 ordered on the Briskoda group buy, and will pick up the PD 160 intake.

The next item on the agenda will be a remap.

I have REVO on my current car - the 4 bar map, and although it has a lot of punch (which is great for the A roads), in town traffic in 1st and 2nd i find it a little 'jerky' and 'on off' compared to the stock map which is noticeably smoother. I actually switch back to stock if i know i will be doing a lot of town driving.

This promps me to ask what TDi maps people would reccomed, not for outright power, but for driveability in everyday use. I have heard people say CC is a 'smooth' map. Good things have also been said about Jabba, Forge, Superchips and REVO's TDi stuff (things seem to go in trends).

I appreciate there may not be as much a difference between TDi maps as there are petrol and 4 bar petrol maps on the 20VT but i would be interested to hear of peoples experiences. I would like to stick with a mainstream tuner, and REVO would allow me to use my current SPS as well. However - drivability is the main goal, power is a bonus.

What do people think?

CC is currently pretty much the smoothest torque curve you can get I suppose.

If you uprate your clutch then there is no real reason to have as smooth a curve as possible and a more peaked delivery may be more to your liking.

Must admit the smoothness of CC mentioned by several who have converted from other maps out there was something I noticed too.

Countering that though, apparently the newer Revo maps are a lot smoother as well, hard to say without driving them both though :(

Try and get a drive of a Celtic Tuned PD130. I cant provide you with graphs and charts and all that stuff, just my opinion that I find it very smooth through the rev range. Power is estimated at 190bhp with a hefty 400+ nm of torque. The only things I found after the remap, is the brakes seemed inadequate and the suspension to wallowy, so I upgraded them too.:D

190 is the highest i've heard of with just a remap - or was this with FMIC and other goodies?

Just a cupra air intake and green cotton filter. Figure is estimated, but won't be out more than a few horses either way. You really need to drive one to appreciate what I mean. Half the price of the leading names too.:thumbup:

Well, it took me a while in my slow diesel...;)

Naturally, i forgot to take that into account. Off topic, but are you at Anglesey 23rd October? We can follow everyone around the track until they run out of petrol, then cruise past.:rolleyes:

I can't grumble about lack of smoothness in all the various pd100 jabba remaps. :thumbup: Can't comment on others though. Still not sure who to choose to get their hands on my new setup in the end - Its looking 95% Jabba at the moment though.

I have experienced a few different maps - and ended up going with RICA. I found my standard car could perform almost as well as some of the mapped cars - so i was looking for a reasonable jump in power and torque delivery. RICA hit the spot, value for money, quality and service. I am seriously impressed and the performance is 0-60 in 6.6 seconds and 15.2 1/4 mile. But off the power it is quiet and smooth - the perfect map !

Andy

Jabba have Custom mapped both our Octys, one Petrol & one Diesel, both are IMO Fantastic, the Petrol has a "fairly severe" map, & goes indredibly well hence the cannonball results

The Diesel is a 110 & was remapped at about 8000 miles to give 164 bhp, its now over 90,000 & is still running as sweet as can be, still averages 50-55 mpg & will still just top 135 mph when on a private road. As for jerkiness theres absolutely none, it just pulls smoothly & steadily

Stuart, 164 bhp out of a 110 is good going - was this just a map, or was there other mods to make this figure? My mate is looking for a Leon 110 TDi map and he would be interested to hear about 110 tuning successes.

The car is a bog std 110 L&K Octavia Estate, The only change was the map, didnt want to touch anything else because of potential warranty problems

I think it was one of the best they have achieved but talk to Jabba direct re your mates car as different models can achieve different things, To add Torque was something like 393 N/m :):) & it could have been more but Mike was worried about overstressing the Transmission & clutch as the car does 40000 a year

This was a custom map so costs a bit more but IMO well worth the extra, that way you can have it tweaked to anything you like.

In case you dont know the difference to put it simply, some maps are simply a generic map which they load down from a PC and thats it job done. With the custom map the map is downloaded, then the car is run on a rolling road & the map is "tweaked" to suit the particular car & yes they are often slightly different

Shouldn't that be "here here"?

No, it shouldn't!! A very common mistake.

Hear, hear! A phrase to indicate that what the speaker says is worth listening to, not that someone is here, in the room with us.

No' date=' it shouldn't!! A very common mistake.

Hear, hear! A phrase to indicate that what the speaker says is worth listening to, not that someone is here, in the room with us.[/quote']

:o Shifty runs away and hides with his favourite dunce hat on......:o

can someone post a pic of a good smooth map and a jerky one so the stupid of us can visualise what you mean.

Also, is it better to try to bet max torque lower down the rev range, or will that destroy the rev range.

I have seen a map where the torque shoots stratight up and then drops off and others where it goes up steadily and is held for a while before jently dropping off.

I would want my car to have good overtaking capabilities than acelleration from a standaing start.

Do i make sense yet.

cheers

Lee

I am sorry to burst everyones bubble but I seriously doubt any people who claim to have "190 bhp" actually have, your more likely to find out it's around the 165-170 mark.

After enormous ammounts of deliberating I came to the following conclusion:

1. Custom Code

2. Jabba

3. REVO/AmD

No offence to anyone else with their "Celtic tuning" maps or "RICA" ones but I honestly can't imagine them to be "as good" as some of the well respected/renowned tuners around.