FMIC without a map?

Sorry of this has been answered before but the tapatalk app is being crap and won't search :/

Just wanting to know how a mk1 fabia vrs would run with a fmic (something like the twin pass darkside one) but without remapping it? I know from past experience with petrols it can make it fairly laggy, is it the same with dervs?

Cheers in advance

Sorry of this has been answered before but the tapatalk app is being crap and won't search :/

Just wanting to know how a mk1 fabia vrs would run with a fmic (something like the twin pass darkside one) but without remapping it? I know from past experience with petrols it can make it fairly laggy, is it the same with dervs?

Cheers in advance

Nope, dervs have VNT's so lag not an issue.

You don't need a remap either but you won't really gain all the benefits without one.

The map sensor measures boost pressure iirc, you'll not be increasing boost pressure by adding an FMIC. The FMIC simply cools the air before it goes in to the engine making it denser (in a diesel this is the primary reason, as you don't have to worry about det etc).

You'd need a remap to take advantage of the increased airflow capacity that the FMIC offers over the SMIC.

• Like 1

The map sensor measures boost pressure iirc, you'll not be increasing boost pressure by adding an FMIC. The FMIC simply cools the air before it goes in to the engine making it denser (in a diesel this is the primary reason, as you don't have to worry about det etc).

You'd need a remap to take advantage of the increased airflow capacity that the FMIC offers over the SMIC.

You'll get a slight difference from stock but as he said you'll want a remap which in turn means ensuring the rest of the car will cope I.e. 312mm, decent suspension to remove limitations if you're aiming for power :D

Can get gains with an FMIC

from forge's website with their Seat Sport FMIC

"This intercooler is for the Face lifted MK4 SEAT Ibiza, fitted with the 130 diesel (PD) engine. The kit is based on the SEAT Sport intercooler and utilises polished alloy hard pipes and silicone hoses to maximise flow and power. Included within the kit are all the necessary components to ensure a great fit. With the kit installed we saw a gain of 7 bhp. With manifold intake temperatures reduced and an overall drop in the resistance of the cooling system, the turbo now works less hard at the same power levels."

Correct me if I'm wrong

But I was told that a map is needed due to the map sensor taking in more air or something

Could be wrong

You have indeed been misinformed, the car will adapt to the lower inlet temperatures all by itself.

Two things....

1) You're unlikely to break the car or engine solely by fitting a FMIC. Unlike some petrol engines it's not going to go lean/hot and det itself to death. That type of thing doesn't happen to diesels.

2) It won't result in increased power. Will stop power dropping on hot summer days or if climbing steeper/longer hills. The ECU reduces fueling if IATs rise too much to avoid too much smoke.

In order to make best use of a FMIC, I'd say you need a PD150 turbo plus the FMIC plus a remap to suit.

J.

ASZ and BLT engines are different.

ASZ will make no changes if intake temps go to high.

BLT will reduce boost if intake temps go too high. Reduce boost will reduce fuelling in the smoke map.

If remapped then it's different as it depends how the mapper has set it up.

• Like 1

How do I know which engine I have? It's a 55 plate if that makes any difference? I will be mapping it eventually, it will probably run about 2/3 months without the map but with a fmic

BLT comes with maybe a few extra ponies, water cooled EGR, and a part throttle stutter that drives some people mad.

- EGR cooler means the car warms up faster in winter.

- Stutter can be reduced or eliminated by fitting a reducing gasket - See many topics on the subject. Downside of reducing EGR flow is slower warm ups in winter.

I'd have thought you could get it off the code groups in the service book (?!?) though.

They're both almost identical, BLT has updated emissions control over ASZ.

Euro Iv over Euro III... Faboka spotted a tad more fuelling in the standard map(s). Though if remapping, that's pretty irrelevant.