Chernobyl Photos

Loz

I can't believe how many people have said they are jealous of my trip to a radioactive warzone! :D  I bet none of you would have cared if I'd gone somewhere nice like the Maldives!

thanks though for your kind words :)

• Like 1

Wow... Amazing post and so jealous you got to go see things like this!

Currently looking through all your other photos on Facebook :)

Some of them photos on your Facebook page of the trip look rather eerie.. Kind of expecting a zombie like creature to jump out and have a chew at your leg - ever seen 28 days later?  :p

I can't believe how many people have said they are jealous of my trip to a radioactive warzone! :D  I bet none of you would have cared if I'd gone somewhere nice like the Maldives!

Anyone can go to the beach.

Out of interest, was there any signs of conflict going on?

Some of them photos on your Facebook page of the trip look rather eerie.. Kind of expecting a zombie like creature to jump out and have a chew at your leg - ever seen 28 days later?  :p

Haha I know!  In truth it wasn't eerie at all. Pripyat actually has rather a nice feel to it on a sunny day. The only eerie bits were reactor 5 and a couple of the bigger buildings like Jupiter. Especially as I'm not sure we were meant to be in there. The guide told us no noise and don't get lost! We were wandering round it in groups of 2 or 3 and then all of a sudden you'd hear a massive crash as someone trod on something or knocked something over :D

Anyone can go to the beach.

Out of interest, was there any signs of conflict going on?

No, not there. The problems are on the other side of the country. The only people in the exclusion zone are the people who work there (though that's hundreds maybe thousands). We stayed in Slavutich which is the new Pripyat, just a small town in the middle of nowhere but outside of the zone. It's a 45 min train journey, we got the commuter train with the workers, then you have to go through security/passport control. And there is a dosimeter scan to get out again!

Those are awesome!!

Do you have more?

Yes, there is a link to my facebook album in my original post :)

• Like 1

Very interesting place to visit! Much better than your average beach holiday! I'm completely fascinated by this place.

How do you go about planning a visit to Chernobyl?

Have you seen the film Chernobyl Diaries? If not it's worth a watch if you like scary films.

• Like 2

Very interesting place to visit! Much better than your average beach holiday! I'm completely fascinated by this place.

How do you go about planning a visit to Chernobyl?

Have you seen the film Chernobyl Diaries? If not it's worth a watch if you like scary films.

No I've not seen it, wouldn't have dared watch it before going haha!

You just organise it through the people who do the tours. They sort everything including putting you on the authorisation list for the zone and flat rentals. We were with a brill bunch of people!

They also organised visiting a shooting range on the way back so I got to shoot an AK47 and a Dragunov sniper.

• Like 1

Amazing!

How do you go about getting there? Do you not need to wear a suit when you're in the zone as i noticed on your Facebook pics there is no suits haha!

I did a quick search and it seems if you fly to Kiev you can catch a day trip from there.

If you stayed in Chernobyl for five days straight it would be equivalent to an x ray so it's safe....ish.

Just don't take anything home such as uranium soaked rocks or eat anything growing on the trees as it's hazardous to your well being.

Top Gear went there as well and they all survived .... even Clarkson!

Wow Loz, some amazing pics there. Have always had a weird interest in the Chernobyl and would love to visit there....honest im not jealous at all.

Thanks for sharing with us :-)

I did a quick search and it seems if you fly to Kiev you can catch a day trip from there.

If you stayed in Chernobyl for five days straight it would be equivalent to an x ray so it's safe....ish.

Just don't take anything home such as uranium soaked rocks or eat anything growing on the trees as it's hazardous to your well being.

Top Gear went there as well and they all survived .... even Clarkson!

Need to add this to the bucket list.

Amazing!

How do you go about getting there? Do you not need to wear a suit when you're in the zone as i noticed on your Facebook pics there is no suits haha!

Think you just answered your own question there ;) - no you don't have to wear anything unless you go in the scrapyard, which you won't as most tours aren't allowed to :)

As for a day trip from Kiev - no thanks!!!!! It was a 2.5 hr bus ride just to get to slavutich, it's then another 45 minute direct train ride (which cuts through Belarus, if you drive it would be hours as you'd go around the line of the border).

Even staying in slavutich we had to get up at 6, have breakfast at 6:30 then get the 7:40 commuter train. We then left the zone on the 4:45 train back each day (3 days). If you only did one day you'd have to pick one thing to see as you wouldn't get to see everything. You'd probably just go to Pripyat.

Edited by Loz
  • Like 1

Oh, I don't know, a nice beach scene is always welcome and then there'd be some bikini shots . . . .  .   :happy: