Good 'all season' tyres?

fabiamk2SE

I would give Vredestein Snowtrac 3s a go.

I know they are a proper winter tyre but I ran them through the summer  a couple of years ago on my company car just to scrub them off.

I was running an Octavia 1.8TSi and did not notice any real difference when changing back to summer tyres,

I do around 45-50,000 miles a year a mix of m/way and A/B roads and I do drive quite hard.

I was getting around 12-13,000 miles out of them running them down to around 3mm.

My local chap did SWMBO's set for £30, which included removing the previous tyres. He did my winters onto new alloys for £20, but I gather this is about as cheap as it gets, with £10/corner not being uncommon.

• Like 1

I would give Vredestein Snowtrac 3s a go.

I know they are a proper winter tyre but I ran them through the summer a couple of years ago on my company car just to scrub them off.

I was running an Octavia 1.8TSi and did not notice any real difference when changing back to summer tyres,

I do around 45-50,000 miles a year a mix of m/way and A/B roads and I do drive quite hard.

I was getting around 12-13,000 miles out of them running them down to around 3mm.

Didnt you find they squealed and snaked around when pushed in the summer then?

That must be a more summer biased winter then? I'll take a look. Cheers :).

You can get the Goodyears to squeal, if you forget which car you're in, and take roundabouts at the same speed as in the Yeti. SWMBO wasn't impressed and I got accused of torturing her little car! Still, even though it made a noise it was remarkably composed while doing so :)

• Like 1

£10 per corner for fitting.

But seriously give your local tyre place a chance. Try agricultural tyre suppliers if in a rural area and haggle. Build a good relationship with them, when you need an odd puncture repair, wheel swapped round and winter tyres refitted they will then look after you.

I think that if you narrow your choice down to a particular tyre too much it takes away your bargaining power. If it is only a basic Fabia I do think you are being too fussy. There will be a list of tyres that will more than meet your needs.

Edited by loskie

£10 per corner for fitting.

But seriously give your local tyre place a chance. Try agricultural tyre suppliers if in a rural area and haggle. Build a good relationship with them, when you need an odd puncture repair, wheel swapped round and winter tyres refitted they will then look after you.

I think that if you narrow your choice down to a particular tyre too much it takes away your bargaining power. If it is only a basic Fabia I do think you are being too fussy. There will be a list of tyres that will more than meet your needs.

Yeah agree with the building up a relationship bit :).

Ah but its not what you drive, its how you drive. Im guilty of some progressive driving and the roads we have around here, i need something decent. Im aware f1 slicks arent needed, but a good all year round tyres that can match my driving style in all weather conditions (obviously my driving style adapts to the conditions) would be very nice.

Didnt you find they squealed and snaked around when pushed in the summer then?

That must be a more summer biased winter then? I'll take a look. Cheers :).

No never had a problem with them. Just upped the pressure slightly.

I do a lot of miles around the north in Yorkshire and Lancashire up to the borders in all weathers.

I didn't notice any extra wear in the warmer weather either.

• Like 1

No never had a problem with them. Just upped the pressure slightly.

I do a lot of miles around the north in Yorkshire and Lancashire up to the borders in all weathers.

I didn't notice any extra wear in the warmer weather either.

Sounds brill mate. Cheers (:

We have Vredestein Quatrac 3 in the OP's stated size on one of our cars and had them on another in a smaller size - really good throughout the year although maybe a little noisy towards the end of their life. We also have Hankook Optimo 4S on another car and are similarly impressed. Both seem ideal if you have a full size spare, and having a choice here may allow better chance of getting what you want in terms of load and speed ratings, although both are available in 85H ... although from Vredestein's UK website it seems that 195/55R15 is only available in Quatrac 5 for new stock.

On another car we use Vredestein Snowtrac 3 for December thru' February - I'd suggest not running them throughout the year unless the mileage and speeds are low as they seem to wear more and grip less as the ambient temperature rises.

We have some friends who have Goodyear Vector 4Seasons and their experiences seem to tally with the very good reviews from independent tests - I'd choose them if I didn't (couldn't) have a full size spare, (although I'd try very hard to avoid having a car that doesn't have a full size spare).

• Like 1

Thanks for your input. Very good to hear.

I think its defo the vector 4 seasons for me. I'll get them fitted in a month or so. Need to check the tread depth on the rubbish turanza's in the mean time. Soo bloody noisey!

I have a full size spare :).

The point about the full size spare is that if you have the same tyre on the spare, then if it's the Hankook Optimo 4S or a Vredestein Quatrac it can be fitted to either side of the car. Not so with the Goodyear 4Seasons as it has a directional tread pattern.

The point about the full size spare is that if you have the same tyre on the spare, then if it's the Hankook Optimo 4S or a Vredestein Quatrac it can be fitted to either side of the car. Not so with the Goodyear 4Seasons as it has a directional tread pattern.

Ah right i see!

I'm not too fussed about that tbf. The spare is only a steel anyway so id be getting the puncture sorted asap anyway.

I think ill just keep the turanza on as a spare anyway. I dont wanna spend another £100 to replace an already brand new tyre which i might never use haha.

• 1 month later...

Ordered 4x Goodyear vector 4 seasons today

Paid £86 per corner, inclusive and fitted.

Will hopefully come next week as theyre not something ATS usually stock.

Maybe abit late as we've currently got 8 inches of snow outside haha.

Ordered 4x Goodyear vector 4 seasons today

Paid £86 per corner, inclusive and fitted.

Will hopefully come next week as theyre not something ATS usually stock.

Maybe abit late as we've currently got 8 inches of snow outside haha.

Watch the tyre monkeys very closely for any chips in the wheel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All 4 of our cars on either All Seasons or full winters and the All seasons on the HTP seem fine.

Of course these tyres do not offer an advantage over even summers on pure ice but the slushy conditions experienced over the last few days the Nexen winters and all seasons cope well and ready for proper snow if it comes specially with the Fabia 2 VRS with it electronic limited slip diff.