'Annoyances' on my YETI

2ndyetiman

I only have an SE DSG, so don't have or need most of the schizzle that seems to annoy people, but what does annoy me is the stupid speedo markings, I have a lot of 30/50 mph areas around me and 40 mph are rare.

As for folding mirrors, I don't think if your going to get that close to an object the mirrors would make much of a difference. Just like a nervous sharp intake of breath prior to impact does not give an intake of breadth (see what I did there?)

As for criticising Yeti's, mine is no where near as versatile as the Roomster it replaced, criticise away, it's just another piece of white goods to me.

- when it shuts off the radio for 10 seconds in the middle of a travel announcement just to tell me that the Bluetooth is not linked to my wife's 'phone

So if you don't like it turn the Bluetooth off and do without the phone. Far safer that way, anyway.

- when I want to close the windows and fold the mirrors on the key fob it's necessary to hold the button to close the windows and lock the car, then unlock, then hold the button again to fold the mirrors  ( why can't the mirrors fold automatically when I lock the car and unfold when I unlock, like all my previous cars?)

Because this isn't your previous car, and that appears to be the way that VAG designed it, not just Skoda.

- why press the key fob button once to double-lock the car and twice to single lock - illogical and the opposite of most manufacturers;  ask my dog, who’s been shut in with the alarm system going off a number of times because the Yeti is different from the other cars I use

I find it perfectly logical and don't see a problem with it.

- unable to display the speed in digital MPH although KPH is always available

Because legally in the UK there has to be a display of the KPH speed and since it isn't shown on the speedo it is displayed on the Maxidot, as has been raised on here innumerable time!

- speedo points numbered at 20 - 40 - 60 mph rather than much more useful 30 - 50 - 70

Because unfortunately VAG ordered some speedos with only these markings, and Skoda have to use the parts bin. Funnily enough the Corsa I'm driving at the moment also doesn't have those markings either, so it obviously isn't just Skoda.

- unable to turn off the fairly useless and misleading cornering fog lights (yes, I've been stopped by the police for "having faulty fog lamps") although you are allowed to turn off the really effective cornering headlights

That suggests that the Policeman needs educating, and some of us actually find the cornering fog lights very useful.

- auto settings for lights and wipers are just not reliable – but I accept that most manufacturers can't get this right

Well you could always use the light switch in the old fashioned way; some of us have to.

• Like 2

I had to "educate" traffic police back in the 90s. I had one of the first cars on the road with Xenon lights. I got pulled on the M3 for having headlights that were "too blue". I tried to point out that my lights were exactly the same as the Omega that they were driving but they weren't having it.

So I got given a ticket to take my car to an MOT centre for a retest on the lights - which it subsequently passed, but only after costing me £25 for the privilege. I sent the receipt for my out of pocket expenses to Hampshire Constabulary and a fortnight later received a cheque and an apology. The PC that stopped me was apparently send for training as to the legalities of vehicle lighting - or so the letter said!

• Like 1

Well that would be an interesting conversation llanigraham educating a policeman on a dark foggy night?

I've done it in the past, but it is useful knowing the legislation in question at the time, and pointing out that perhaps he ought to speak to a particular (named) Divisional Inspector who I'd been working with, officially, earlier that week, and which involved the particular legislation he was trying to argue about.

Sometimes it is very useful being involved with voluntary bodies!

Although I could list more features that I think could be improved/removed or whatever, there are IMHO only two - just two - that should never have got through user trials.  (Whether they are or are not restricted to the Yeti is immaterial as far as this thread goes.) 

:sweat: The lack of a channel or fairing to stop rainwater running off the roof into open doors/windows.  

2   :peek: Controls for the heating/aircon that can't realistically be used without having a look, especially after dark.  My old X-trail had rotary controls, along the lines of '...three clicks clockwise for heating to the floor, five for max to screen...' - no fumbling to find the right knob and easy-to-remember sequences of settings. 

Despite these points, I still wouldn't swap! 

• Like 1

I've done it in the past, but it is useful knowing the legislation in question at the time, and pointing out that perhaps he ought to speak to a particular (named) Divisional Inspector who I'd been working with, officially, earlier that week, and which involved the particular legislation he was trying to argue about.

Sometimes it is very useful being involved with voluntary bodies!

I was stopped as a 'routine check' the car came back registered to Rev Darrell Tunningley and the officer jokingly asked "ever been in trouble with the police then", the look on his face when I answered was priceless :)

• Like 1

That was very naughty, Darrell!!

(I've looked at your book!)

TBH mine was with a probationary Constable and his "mentor", who I'd also worked with, was standing in the background quietly sni gg ering

• Like 1

Although I could list more features that I think could be improved/removed or whatever, there are IMHO only two - just two - that should never have got through user trials.  (Whether they are or are not restricted to the Yeti is immaterial as far as this thread goes.) 

:sweat: The lack of a channel or fairing to stop rainwater running off the roof into open doors/windows.  

2   :peek: Controls for the heating/aircon that can't realistically be used without having a look, especially after dark.  My old X-trail had rotary controls, along the lines of '...three clicks clockwise for heating to the floor, five for max to screen...' - no fumbling to find the right knob and easy-to-remember sequences of settings. 

Despite these points, I still wouldn't swap! 

Agree entirely! I would like to add another very minor niggle but it does fit within the criteria quoted by Brijo, on a car that has warning indicators for virtually every function how did VAG (not just Yeti but as far as I know ALL VAG models) NOT fit a heated mirror ON indicator?

Fred

PS Still loved it enough to order a second though and still can't find anything I'd rather have under £30k. :kiss:

• Like 1

Agree that the folding wing mirrors specially on the L&K, should auto fold when you lock the car & not have to either hold the lock button on the Fob, or tweak the button on the door. - But it is something I can live with.

The auto lights & wipers are another niggle, which i would not have if i had a choice, - It came with the car & i put up with auto lights as it is very convenient, and use manual wipers ( if i remember to switch it ).

If either if these items had been a deal killer, i would not have bought the car, as is my choice.

With ref to the heating directions, I have a row of buttons that illuminate when on to direct airflow.