'Annoyances' on my YETI

2ndyetiman

Any of you have these problems?

I went to my Dealer Meadens of Sway on the 5th November to try and sort out some extremely annoying things on my Yeti.

I must add here that Meadens are always most helpful. This Yeti is the 3rd Skoda I have bought from them and I have absolutely nothing but praise for them.

1. I was sick to death of the sunroof blind closing all the time overnight and I HAD seen in the handbook that I could de-activate the auto closing of roof and windows, but it did not mention the sun blind.

I should add here that I have had many cars with sun roofs and none have ever suffered from condensation, which I gather is your misguided reason for the auto closure of the blind.

I like my blind OPEN. In fact I would not care if there wasn't one! I do not need 'NANNY' Skoda doing it for me!

However, Meadens de-activated it for me HAPPY-ish!

2. The closure of the folding wing mirrors necessitating slowing down to 9mph is LUDICROUS! And DANGEROUS. I have owned Saabs and Mercedes with folding mirrors. They all folded at speeds up to 30 mph and opened again at about 35mph.

I gather that you deem this to be a 'set in stone' safety feature.

BUT. I am informed by Meadens that Octavias can fold their mirrors at up to 30MPH. So why is it safe for Octavias but NOT Yetis??? NOT HAPPY!

3. Automatic switching of lights.

Meadens advise there is no reported fault.

Your system is a complete JOKE! Again, other cars I have owned operate correctly. Ambient light decreases, lights come on, sun comes out lights go out.

Skoda Yeti lights do what they want when they want.

Driving down an almost totally dark  lane with overgrown trees obscuring 90% of daylights, lights did not come on.

On various occasions over the past few weeks. I come out of the house in bright sunlight. Start engine , headlights come on and won't go out.

Since there is no reported fault I can only assume that your system has the most annoying design fault.

Frankly it would be better to do away with this ridiculous system rather than annoy your customers to the degree I am annoyed. SERIOUSLY NOT HAPPY!!!

2ndyetiman - Welcome to the forum - I'm sure you will find help in the Yeti section from other owners, I'm new to VAG group cars, but problems 2 & 3 sound like they might be cured with a VCDS tweak.

grr666 - This is the second unnecessarily rude comment I've read from you today, the first one was about women's inability to drive properly in the Fiat 500 thread. Wind your neck in, the ER6F is a girls bike BTW  :moon: 
  • Like 1

Yeah I vote Conservative too.

I have to admit that this was a pure genius comeback, I wish I'd thought of it... However, can you tone down the yeti hate a bit please, we need this site to run harmoniously for the time being.

• Like 2

Why would you want to fold the mirrors in while driving ?

The auto lights on my Octavia are similar to what you describe , they do seem to stay on for longer than they need to when it brightens up, can't say it bothers me much though.

1 apparently if you turn off rain closing in the Maxidot the blind won't close, only problem is roof or windows won't close if you leave them open and it rains, I'd rather just open the blind in the morning and it stays open all day.

2 why you would want mirrors folded whilst driving at speed beats me

3 is the windscreen clean where the sensor is? Otherwise just leave on Auto and let it do it's own thing why stress.

• Like 2

• Administrators

1 apparently if you turn off rain closing in the Maxidot the blind won't close, only problem is roof or windows won't close if you leave them open and it rains, I'd rather just open the blind in the morning and it stays open all day.

2 why you would want mirrors folded whilst driving at speed beats me

3 is the windscreen clean where the sensor is? Otherwise just leave on Auto and let it do it's own thing why stress.

re no2.

Narrow b roads for one ;) Especially those with knobbly stone walls.

HTH.

• Like 1

1. glad it's sorted :)

2. Why would you need to fold your mirrors at speed??? Incase the bat mobile is chasing you down a narrow ally maybe? If it's really needed though, wind down your window and do it the old school way;)

3. I find reaching down and flipping the lights on and off works perfectly every time, unless your missing your left arm then solutions 1 & 2 are no good.

But welcome from a fellow Yeti owner who rarely ventures into the Yeti section :)

• Like 1

re no2.

Narrow b roads for one ;) Especially those with knobbly stone walls.

HTH.

I have only ever found one road that was too narrow for my car to get through with the mirrors out, just beyond here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Blue+Hills+Touring+Park/@50.3222269,-5.1905503,3a,75y,359.81h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1shRt3awNWGsEKkay9OYL0Mw!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x486b195097348911:0x5f4b3dc4694c940?hl=en

Even around here where we have plenty of narrow lanes, none are that narrow!

• Administrators

:) narrow roads - stone walls + oncoming vehicle = Tight! So why not buy an extra 12". The cost of heated electric mirrors is worth it, maybe not so much up so high in the yeti. But low down in most anything else... that's my 2p on no2 though.

• Like 1

I'm definitely with you on 3. Certainly my screen isn't brilliantly clean all the time, but even when it is the auto-lights don't function very consistently. It's my one real irritation with the Yeti after 4 years' of ownership (I've got other comments on improvements that could have been made in the FL but weren't but there's nothing else of quite the same day-to-day nuisance value as the auto-lights either being on when they should be off or vice versa).

I've got the Columbus satnav set to auto day/night and so am quite aware of when the auto-lights aren't right, ie the map display is dark in good daylight (ie as per the night setting) and occasionally bright at night. My main moan is not so much that the sensors can get fooled sometimes - that can happen eg if you're parked inside a multi-storey carpark - but that the display can take 5-10 minutes to sort itself out, which it usually does given enough time, though very occasionally it won't happen until you stop the car, leave it a minute or two and then restart. 

I've raised it at service time on a couple of occasions, but the answer is only the familiar refrain that no errors are showing (and the implication that I must be misunderstanding how the system is meant to work). It's not a big enough deal to make a big song and dance about, but it remains a definite irritation.

Perhaps the OP is out of tune with his Yeti?

Perhaps Gareth Malone ( the Choirmaster ) can help re tune ?     :D  :D  :D

Just done a quick check- the OP hasn't been back online since posting the thread hmmmmm 

• Like 1

:) narrow roads - stone walls + oncoming vehicle = Tight! So why not buy an extra 12"....

Exactly.  What's even more irritating is that when you're approaching another car which is waiting at a passing point and you're doing 10mph and slowing (no, NOT 30 mph) the mirrors not only won't fold, but they still don't fold when your speed drops below 9mph, so you have to find the damned multi-purpose rotary switch, make sure it's in the right position by peering closely at it to see where the little dot is, then turn it back and try again.  And all this when you should be focussing totally on the road ahead.

Why is it that Yeti owners are so defensive of the car's bad points?  It's a superb car in so many ways, just let down a bit by the software design.  I love it, but the experience is dented a shade by a few things;  as well as the mirrors folding only at low speed,

- when it shuts off the radio for 10 seconds in the middle of a travel announcement just to tell me that the Bluetooth is not linked to my wife's 'phone

- when I want to close the windows and fold the mirrors on the key fob it's necessary to hold the button to close the windows and lock the car, then unlock, then hold the button again to fold the mirrors  ( why can't the mirrors fold automatically when I lock the car and unfold when I unlock, like all my previous cars?)

- why press the key fob button once to double-lock the car and twice to single lock - illogical and the opposite of most manufacturers;  ask my dog, who’s been shut in with the alarm system going off a number of times because the Yeti is different from the other cars I use

- unable to display the speed in digital MPH although KPH is always available

- speedo points numbered at 20 - 40 - 60 mph rather than much more useful 30 - 50 - 70

- unable to turn off the fairly useless and misleading cornering fog lights (yes, I've been stopped by the police for "having faulty fog lamps") although you are allowed to turn off the really effective cornering headlights

- auto settings for lights and wipers are just not reliable – but I accept that most manufacturers can't get this right

All fairly minor things, and some may have been improved on the face-lift, but they do irritate me... even though they are offset by the fabulous DSG box and excellent handling of the car.

Edited by Gnomeface