Which type of Roomster to buy? Advice requested.

The 1.9 TDi PD models are all going to be a good few years old now and no longer in warranty so re-mapping won't be a problem, but it will have an effect on your insurance. The 1.6 TDi common rail is a more refined engine and is a lot smoother and quieter and more like a petrol to drive, but some would say that it lacks the character of the old PD engines.

Another thing to consider is that there is an offer on for new Roomsters: you can get the 1.2 TSi SE (86bhp) for £9995 which means that you can get a brand new car with a full warranty for less than the price of a recent second-hand diesel, so you have to ask yourself if you would ever recoup the savings in fuel over the initial purchase price of buying a diesel over a petrol.

I have a 1.2TSi (105bhp) and I'm really pleased with it, it's got plenty of go and is incredibly practical. I bought mine second hand from another member on here, it was a repaired category D write-off, and for the money I paid getting a diesel would have meant spending much more on the car initially that would have taken years to get back in fuel savings if ever, despite doing a reasonable annual mileage.

• Like 1

Personally, for anyone not doing high milage I'd suggest the 1.2tsi.

OK, it's a smaller engine and it uses a little more fuel, but driven sensibly I could get 45mpg.

Plus it's nicer to drive, (as the front of the car is lighter) quiter and more refined.

Not to mention in the winter it warms up faster.

• Like 1

I do like the look 1.2 TSI offer but I don't have the money just yet. Sigh. Its getting there slowly but not before Christmas. 

I'm hoping that Skoda will produce an equivalent post Christmas offer (it ends on the 31/12/14) on something for me to have a look at. 

Plus it give me more opportunity to keep on second hand prices in Autotrader! More time for research has never hurt anyone. :)

Edited by MichaelPosp

Production of the current Roomster is expected to end in May 2015.  (See Roomster II thread).

If this happens, it would be reasonable to expect end-of-run price reductions in line with those currently available on Fabia II.

• Like 1

Ignore the horror stories about DPF's.  Judging the reliability of any car by reading internet forums like this one is like walking into a hospital and concluding that the human race is doomed because 80% are sick and the other 20% spend their whole life looking after them.

I have done 18k+ over 18mths in my 105BHP 1.6TDi and aside from a failed sensor at 5 months old I have had no problems.  The 1.6 TDi was designed around the DPF from day one.  it is only those engines where the DPF was grafted on as an afterthought that there are problems.  Provided it gets a 5-10 mile 40-70mph cruise once or twice a month it will be happy.  If you intend to spend its life crawling in city traffic for a couple of miles a day then get the petrol.

I had similar worries until I asked a colleague if she had any problems with the DPF in her 18mth, 10k mile Greenline Yeti. "What's a DPF?" was the answer - said it all for me!!

I have had the 1.9PD engine albeit in an Octavia.  It is a great engine but the 1.6TDi CR is better!  You need to rev it a little more but it is a pleasure to drive with loads of  pull.  I have driven the 85BHP TDi and the 105BHP 1.2 petrol - surprisingly little difference between the diesels around town and burbling along the country lanes (though my 105 is more economical than the 85!) but the petrol seemed a little gutless in comparison especially when you need to change lanes on a motorway up gradient - floor the throttle in 5th with the diesel at 60mph and it surges up to 80mph whereas the petrol needs a gear or 2 drop and a little longer.  But let's face it!  That is the difference between petrol and diesel - they need a different driving style.

When it comes to speccing it up then the models with the full length sunroof should be at the top of your list.  Internally I found the standard dash/heater/radio combination a little dour and dull so specced mine with maxidot, climate control and the Amundsen SAt Nav.  But these are "nice-to-have".

The Roomster is a great car.  Mine will be with me for at least another 5yrs, probably more.

• Like 4

With all due respect, reporting fantastic engine after just 18k miles is a bit premature, as I have found out the hard way. My advice is to not ignore the horror stories about 1.6CR in general, DPF post-injections are a source of other problems than just clogged DPF.  I also had DPF EGT sensor replaced at 9 months, then after further 9 months the engine started leaking fuel into engine oil, which after weeks of testing and deliberation ended up with entire engine block replaced under warranty, at under 17k miles (!). That was back in April 2014 . Prior to block replacement, the car was doing many active regens (light on dashboard) which disappeared following block replacement, so clearly something was wrong with the old block.

In June 2014, I noticed a fuel leak on top of engine, and injector supply lines were replaced as one of them developed a leak, probably due to all testing they had undergone prior to block replacement. But at least there was no more fuel in oil.... until today (2 years 6 months, 24.5k miles), I noticed the level has risen again, albeit slightly. I will monitor it closely from now on. The rise coincides with weather change and DPF having a lot more post-injections (I know the level was unchanged in mid September, 1 week after oil+oil filter change, and in mid October).

1.6CR CAYC drives very well indeed, but maintenance/failure rate wise, it is most definitely nowhere near as good as the 1.9TDI/PD engines used to be. If you keep your cars past warranty, or expect them to be maintenance free in between regular servicing, I would not get this particular engine. Shame, because otherwise the car is great.  

I think Euro 6 engines are about to be dropped in across the range early next year (though that is likely to be for the new look Roomster), and one can only hope they will be better reliability wise.

Edited by dieselV6
  • Like 1

With all due respect, reporting fantastic engine after just 18k miles is a bit premature, as I have found out the hard way.

And with equal respect, condemning a whole engine class based on one rogue example is equally premature.

Myself and 2 work colleagues have this engine in a Roomster, a Yeti, and an Audi. 3 engines 60k plus miles between them and no problems.

3 engines with 60k miles between them, means each engine likely  below 30k miles then, so too early to tell if they are reliable or free of long term issues.  Just contrast this with 129k miles in Mk1 Octy over 9.5 years, and another 130k miles in the Superb over 8.5 years, all hassle free, just oil, filters, belts, glow plugs and lots of fuel. Incidentally, I was praising the 1.6CR at about 10k miles/6 months after I got it, but subsequent 7 weeks of wasted time in warranty servicing largely convinced me that judging reliability of any engine before 5 years/60k miles are up is way too early.

Fabia 2 forum has plenty of examples of other issues with this engine (same engines as in the Roomster), poor fuel consumption, failing EGT sensors, failing EGR valves. Poor fuel consumption experienced by more than a few people, including myself, is the biggest bugbear, as dealerships as well as SUK would go to any measure to prove that the customer "must be driving it wrong" rather than investigate e.g. block faults as was the case with my 1.6CR. It may be only a low double digit percentage of these engines that display faults, but if you get a dodgy engine in the car you personally just paid £15k for and intended to keep for 15 years, then I can assure you it hurts, especially coming from 2 fault free Skodas owned for many years from new. 

I am not "condemning entire engine class", in fact as I had stated when the 1.6CR works, it is a great engine to drive under most conditions (well except perhaps little or no engine braking when going downhill), but it has not been a good long term investment for me so far. In the first 2 years of its life, the Roomster already spent more time in 1.6CR servicing/workshop than my last 2 cars combined over past 12 years. 

Edited by dieselV6

Next question - how would I tell if a 1.9 DP has a DPF or not? 

If you look in the boot there's the sticker with all the codes next to the spare wheel. I believe if it has 0GG it's without DPF and 7GG is one with. At least for the 1.9 TDi engines.

Personally, for anyone not doing high milage I'd suggest the 1.2tsi.

OK, it's a smaller engine and it uses a little more fuel, but driven sensibly I could get 45mpg.

Plus it's nicer to drive, (as the front of the car is lighter) quiter and more refined.

Not to mention in the winter it warms up faster.

This. We got ours in March. It was the £9995 special edition, but it's a 1.2 TSI. The only extra we stipulated were roof rails, so we could fit bars on and bike carriers. We've done a 2-week family holiday to Cornwall with 4 bikes on the roof, and a couple of weeks ago I did a 1200-mile trip to Belgium and the Netherlands with four teenagers and a load of luggage. It was completely comfortable and it's a really versatile car.

Thanks for the replies. There all useful.

It did occur to me that the best way to check if the car has dpf us to ask a dealership to check there records. Simple when you think of it!

I'd love to say that would be a good answer, but on the whole the dealers don't have a clue unfortunately.

However I can answer this quite easily for you:

In the UK, the 1.6 TDi (all power outputs) and the 1.2 TDi Greenline are the only models of Roomster fitted with a DPF. The older 1.4 TDi and 1.9 TDi engines did not have DPFs

• Like 2

Thanks - that confirms what someone else posted earlier.

First time I'm thinking about buying a car and I'd like to have thought that dealers would know what there selling. Time to be even more careful I guess when looking at cars.

Thanks - that confirms what someone else posted earlier.

First time I'm thinking about buying a car and I'd like to have thought that dealers would know what there selling. Time to be even more careful I guess when looking at cars.

You just need to find the right dealer/salesperson.

Often it's just a job, they don't go home and read all the brochures.

You'll get more info on here that a typical dealer can give you.

Our Roomster is a 2010 SE 1.6 TDi CR105 so roof-rails and panoramic roof were standard.  I did specify Climate Control AC though and a couple of other extras.  We have had only one in-between service visit to the dealer to replace the EGT a couple of years ago.

It's just had its fourth service and second MoT with no extra work needed.  It's only done 18000 miles as my wife uses it for work, a couple of miles away.  I live on the Isle of Wight but it does get used on the mainland when my wife visits her sister etc.

Because of these short journeys, I do have to take it for a run occasionally if the DPF light comes on, but it's not a problem.  It's pokey and I enjoy driving it and it holds loads of stuff.  The extra height of the rear door is a bonus for lugging wide things around.

It's still on the original tyres too, the fronts are down to 4mm so changing these will probably be something to be done soon.

Denis

Edited by skodaiw

We have had only one in-between service visit to the dealer to replace the EGT a couple of years ago.

I do have to take it for a run occasionally if the DPF light comes on, but it's not a problem.

I should have kept my mouth shut!

My wife used it on Saturday and when she came back she said that the wire-coil light was on.  I had a look at it yesterday and it is the glow plug light that is flashing.

I've searched on here and see reference to the alternator pulley as one possibility.

I phoned the Skoda garage this morning and was told to check to see if the brake lights are working.  I have done this and they are.  I also noticed that now the DPF light is on!

I've been told to take the car to them at 2pm this afternoon.  I was planning to go on a longer route to clear the DPF, is this a good or bad idea?

Any suggestions gratefully received.  Thank you.

Denis

Edited by skodaiw

I've started another post regarding the flashing glow-plug light and it's not the DPF light that's flashing, it's the engine managment and the car was in limp mode!

The garage have told me I need the EGR Sensor replacing at a cost of arond £700!

That is going to be done and then I'm going to get rid of it and get a petrol engined car.

Amazing how quickly you can go off something isn't it!

I just need to find out if it's going to be worth the effort to sell it privately or trade it in.

Denis

• 2 weeks later...

I've started another post regarding the flashing glow-plug light and it's not the DPF light that's flashing, it's the engine managment and the car was in limp mode!

The garage have told me I need the EGR replacing at a cost of around £700!

That is going to be done and then I'm going to get rid of it and get a petrol engined car.

Amazing how quickly you can go off something isn't it!

I just need to find out if it's going to be worth the effort to sell it privately or trade it in.

Denis

EGR/DPF replaced and I've traded it in for a 1.2 TSi 105PS which I picked up today.  It's an ex-demonstrator, first registered in July with 70 miles on the clock now.

Different engine, same power, but I have to say the petrol drives better than the diesel.  I've been over one particular piece of road which has a gentle bend with a slight downhill gradient and an uneven surface.  The backend of the diesel used to noticeably skip sideways over this part, the petrol doesn't.  Whether it's the tyres I don't know.  IIRC the diesel had Hankooks the Petrol has Continentals.

Denis

Edited by skodaiw

Again thanks for the responses. 

The current plan is to look at buying a petrol version - I'd like to think that we'd not be using it for commuting to work often - so the initial cost of the diesel version would take a long time to be paid back. 

The current plan is to keep on saving and see what offers appear in the New Year and what's going to happen when the new version is released. 

• 1 month later...

Agree? AGREE? Damn you, it's almost law!!

Yes, unfortunately we traded in ours a few weeks ago. It's still at the dealers as they seem to be asking daft money. 

EDIT: multi quote didn't work. This is to say Scouts in Anthracite are almost law. We miss Roomy, but Alan the Furby is OK. 

Edited by lowedb

• 4 months later...

i have a 1.6 petrol 07 its quick enough and doe everything had a 6ft vivarium in it plus me and 1 passenger boot shut from midlands to rochdale

missus has the 1.2 tsi both same bhp 105 i came from a hyundai coupe with 140 thi seems quicker but my missus's does seema lot faster,prob use the same amount in fuel although i dont have to put high end in