Output Columbus Video Signal To Multiple Rear Video Displays?

I've just bought a new Octy Elegance Est part-ex for my old Octy Vrs and I'm currently awaiting delivery (due around 2nd week in Dec) here in the UK.

Without yet physically having the car in my garage, I'm in search of advice on the key need to know stuff in order to do the following.

Firstly I would like to know how to:

• Fit the dual rear passenger LCD media players I currently have in my old Octy Vrs (currently used as stand alone units)
  • Run an audio/video cable from the Columbus head unit to the rear screens
  • Play video from the head unit that will output on all 3 screens when stationary, then switch off the front screen only during driving.

Is there a part I should buy specific to that head unit? Should I ask the dealer to fit in for me when I get the car?

Secondly:

• Send an Audio/Video signal (e.g. from a laptop/mini computer) to the Columbus head unit for it to display while driving?

For this second one I want to find out it there are any good bluetooth options, hdmi type cable adaptors or standard A/V coax plugs for this.

I've searched though the forums here already but can't see an obvious answer to my questions.

Here's hoping someone here will know the best solution.

Cheers

P.S. Here are the  media players I have

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0056Z1VKC/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

:cocktail:

Edited by Black0ut

I've previously read of the columbus head unit outputting to screens built into the headrests. If that is true then there should be Audio/Video output pins on the rear of the unit or the media reader module built into the glove box.

If there isn't any info on this I will just wait until I have the car and look for myself and make my own cables.

I just wondered if it had been done before or if anyone had already worked out the pins

Cheers ;D

There is a video in/out connector on the back of the Columbus - have look here.

You'll need to search for threads on Rear Screen Entertainment (RSE) and read up on RGB convertors. You'll be able to run a feed to the two rear screens, but I'm not sure how it functions on the Columbus itself.

Have a look for information in VW fora regarding RNS-510 head units as these are basically the same as the Columbus.

You can also have TV in using the same connector (or a reversing camera / RVC)

Some of what you want will be possible, but not all of it I suspect.

• Like 1

There is a video in/out connector on the back of the Columbus - have look here.

You'll need to search for threads on Rear Screen Entertainment (RSE) and read up on RGB convertors. You'll be able to run a feed to the two rear screens, but I'm not sure how it functions on the Columbus itself.

Have a look for information in VW fora regarding RNS-510 head units as these are basically the same as the Columbus.

You can also have TV in using the same connector (or a reversing camera / RVC)

Some of what you want will be possible, but not all of it I suspect.

Cheers for the info. This is exactly the kind of advice I was after. Enough to keep me busy trying to get this stuff working.

Thanks mate