Engine Top Mount Bolts....cambelt Change

LeezoG

Afternoon Briskodians!

Just had my 05 VRS PD130 In for its Cambelt. All done and all good. I read on a previous post that the 3 engine top mount bolts need to be replaced as they are stretch bolts. also the 3 underneath on the bracket?

The garage who done my Cambelt said they didn't change them as wasn't needed and they have never changed them. 

Now, my question is. Should these be changed? And if so is it easy enough to do myself with a one out one in method? Are they on Torque settings or just spanner tight?

Any help would be appreciated Boys and Gals.

Hi,

I work for a lease company and oversee the maintenance on our vehicles. We don't replace them. I didn't replace them on my own car.

Thanks

Dave

Ideal thanks Dave.Good to know, I read it on a previous thread when someone had done a DIY belt change and it was mentioned on one of the comments is all.

done 2 cambelt changes on my vrs so far, neither time have replaced the bolts.  on 200k now, and have had no problems.

Again thanks mate. Answers I was looking for. 200k! My man! Out of curiosity, how many turbo's you been through? :P

I replaced mine for piece of mind when I done my build, for the sake of £17 I thought I might aswell :)

Yea I thought the same thing. Special order, None returnable £17 quid tho lol. Hey Ho all done now I guess.

Ideal thanks Dave.Good to know, I read it on a previous thread when someone had done a DIY belt change and it was mentioned on one of the comments is all.

Again thanks mate. Answers I was looking for. 200k! My man! Out of curiosity, how many turbo's you been through? :p

I replaced a hybrid MD374  with a MD376 at 118k.....

These bolts are one use only, I know a lot of folk don't bother BUT the Skoda Workshop manual says they MUST be replaced! I got this info from a fellow I trust that works in the main agents at Henry's Skoda in Glasgow. For the sake of £15 -£20 I personally don't think it's worth the risk, especially when these engines can do starship mileages if maintained properly. Same with doing a water pump at the same time as a cam belt. Prevention is better than cure, and usually a damn sight cheaper too!

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Which bolts other than than the top three engine mounts bolts are we talking about?

Crankshaft bolt is apparently one use, what about the four that hold the eng mount bracket to the block? Any more?

We've had an aux belt shed teeth on my partners 1.4 16v, expecting to have to whip the head off ( :( ) but like to get the rest right! I'll refit old bolts with new belts, tensioners etc til i know the score with the valves and head okay/fooked - not holding my breath, but hoping a bit though :/

These bolts are one use only, I know a lot of folk don't bother BUT the Skoda Workshop manual says they MUST be replaced! I got this info from a fellow I trust that works in the main agents at Henry's Skoda in Glasgow. For the sake of £15 -£20 I personally don't think it's worth the risk, especially when these engines can do starship mileages if maintained properly. Same with doing a water pump at the same time as a cam belt. Prevention is better than cure, and usually a damn sight cheaper too!

Load of rubbish imo :)

Not saying you or your m8 are making it up,but can you tell me the reason these bolts need replacing?

Can't be stretch bolts as they screw into alloy!!!!you wouldn't stretch them before the threads stripped in the alloy mount........

They probably say replace as they have thread lock on them when new?

If so a couple of £££ for a bottle of thread lock is a lot cheaper than replacing the bolts ;)

• Like 1

I always thought the coating which looks like it could be some sort of loctite was a corrosion resistant coating to stop galvanic corrosion between the steel bolt and the aluminium thread it was inserted in to. I suspect this is why they are classed at one shot as the coating will lose its effectiveness once inserted and removed (will be doing my cambelt and camshaft next week so will check).

In my opinion an anti seize compound on the bolts will be just as good as new bolts. Same scenario on the consoles bolts too I guess?

sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I always thought the coating which looks like it could be some sort of loctite was a corrosion resistant coating to stop galvanic corrosion between the steel bolt and the aluminium thread it was inserted in to. I suspect this is why they are classed at one shot as the coating will lose its effectiveness once inserted and removed (will be doing my cambelt and camshaft next week so will check).

In my opinion an anti seize compound on the bolts will be just as good as new bolts. Same scenario on the consoles bolts too I guess?

sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

Yeah your probably right about the coating.

You will find your bolts are still nice and green with no corrosion on them ;) so don't waste your money on new ones!!! :)

As above really. If it's steel going into aluminium then there'll be a dissimilar metal reaction between the two. Hence the coating is needed to help prevent it. Which is why it's deemed as one-shot.

I've got some medium thread-lock here for when I refit my engine soon...