Scout Winter Tyres

Hi all

I've ordered a Scout - no confirmed delivery date yet but likely to be Jan so I'll want winter tyres

On my current car i've had steel wheels and winters, but I can't seemtop find 17" steelies for the Scout.  So I'll just get some new tyres and eventually pick up sme cheapo alloys.

But I'm not sure what size to get - Skoda dealer has suggested a couple, 205/55/17 or 225/50/17.  But I'm, not sure why they'd specify a different width to what the car apparently comes with.  Is the brochure incorrect or aqre 205/55 the way to go please?

thanks!

Ed

Hi, if you ordered the 184bhp model i will assume it has the same brakes as the vrs. Therefore you will need to get 18 inch wheels due to the disc size. The 150bhp model should be able to fit the 17 inch wheels.

They do for some of the vans. But they're now a different pcd.

I THINK some transporters were 5x112 but unsure of the et.

T4 are 5x112, T5 are 5x120 IIRC. Not actually seen 17" steels on a T5 though, only 16".

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Shermo, if its vrs brakes he will deffo need 18's as i found out with my vrs last winter!

Will "defo" not need 18"!!!!!!

Either that or the 17" winter alloys I've got on my vRS, aren't 17", even though its cast into wheel!

Why did you have a problem?

• Like 1

Banksie, i am over in Germany with the forces and according to skoda here that is the size thst has to be fitted according to them.

I seem to remember on here last year too that the consensus was that 18s needed to be fitted? If 17s fit bonus! But as i bought 2nd hand seat alloys im not bothered!

You will find it hard to find steel wheels larger than 16" because at this size they become heavier than the alloy equivelant.

I would recommend using this site: http://www.willtheyfit.com/

Enter the specification of your summer tyres & then the possible winter tyre options.

As long as the rolling radius is less than 1% different these are good.

If you drive often in snowy, icy or very wet conditions, it seems usual to recommend the thinner of the tyre options to decrease the chance of losing traction.

I can confirm that I have 17" wheels fitted to by mk3 vRS. (Dezent TD 17" alloys)

The clearance to the brake calier is tight (maybe 5mm) but I didnt have a problem fitting them.

You just have to make sure the tyre fitter uses low profile weights.

If they use the old style block weights there is the chance of interferrence with the brake.

• Like 1

Try asking an existing Scout owner to take a picture of the inside of their fuel filler cap as all the suitable tyre sizes are listed there.

Done, thanks to the local dealer (Progress in Letchworth - very helpful even though I ordered the car elsewhere).  

The only sizes are 205/55 16 and 225/50 17 - so I've gone for the 17" to keep the ground clearance up

Thanks

Ed

• Like 1

Done, thanks to the local dealer (Progress in Letchworth - very helpful even though I ordered the car elsewhere).  

The only sizes are 205/55 16 and 225/50 17 - so I've gone for the 17" to keep the ground clearance up

Thanks

Ed

Is that right for a Scout?  It's a full inch taller than the 16" option and will cause a 4% speedo error (will read lower).  Should it be 225/45x17 which is only 3mm difference?

Is that right for a Scout? It's a full inch taller than the 16" option and will cause a 4% speedo error (will read lower). Should it be 225/45x17 which is only 3mm difference?

The Scout uses tyres with a larger diameter to increase the ride height.

Yes, 225/50 17 is standard Scout fitment.  I'm not sure why they specify such a small 16" tyre, I'd have thought 225/55 would be better.

Yeah it does seem a bit odd that the ride height (and the speedo reading) will be different on a 16" fitment than 17".  It's only 1/2" difference in ride height but easily rectified with different tyres, I would think

The Scout uses tyres with a larger diameter to increase the ride height.

Indeed but not consistently by the sound of it.  It's not like there are no tyres available in, say, 205/60 R16 or 225/55 R16 which would give an almost identical ride height as a 17" wheel wearing 225/50 R17s.

I thought you were on dodgy ground legally if the wheels/tyre you fit are more than 1% difference in terms of rolling radius (and thus speedo reading) ?

Or is that just "rule-of-thumb"?

• 2 months later...

I've been doing a bit of reading in to the approved winter wheel and tyre sizes for the Scout.  According to the Download available here from Skoda DE the approved sizes are:-

205/60 R16 92V on a 6J x 16 H2 ET48

205/55 R17 91V on a 6J x 17 H2 ET48

225/50 R17 94V on a 7J x 17 H2 ET45  ( not suitable for snow chains ).

205/60x16 is quite a common size and relatively inexpensive.