Favourite Crisps Or Savouries

mender

Pringles are totally barfarama.  The're like macro sytho, Man.   Bleuch.

Made of floor sweepings from the rubbish factory that makes the rubbish tesco rubbish Bombay Mix.

They are not a snack, savoury or nibble. but a crime against humanity. 

Blighting Blighty's Taste Buds.

I always found UK sourced pringles inferior too.

Like UK sourced Fosters, Stella, Honda's, AIWA hi-fi etc, etc.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

I always found UK sourced pringles inferior too.

Like UK sourced Fosters, Stella, Honda's, AIWA hi-fi etc, etc.

Now you mention it, I've never liked them but had an OK pack in Poland.

They taste of powder and cardboard to me, if they put the flavouring on the box and cut it to shape it might improve things?

Turkey flavoured Pringles. Had some last night. Won't be bothering again. Bombay mix though, now you're talking, providing it's a decent brand and then it's addictive. 

• Like 1

Nobody's mentioned pistachio nuts yet  :yes:

Also really like proper pork scratchings,  onion rings,  heck, probably everything mentioned so far.

Gaz

Also really like proper pork scratchings,  onion rings,  heck, probably everything mentioned so far.

Gaz

Didn't mention them specifically but they were in my unwritten list of nuts.

I can maul a bag of pistachios, Nick guzzi may have mentioned them as well in this thread.  

I can maul a bag of pistachios, Nick guzzi may have mentioned them as well in this thread.  

So he did - my bad  :blush:

..... and pistachio's in shells for a while now.  The shells are good cause it slows you down a bit.  All very yummy.

Sorry Nick - credit where it's due  :kiss:

Gaz

• Like 1

Gaz

Here's my Border Terrier, Muttley in the pub with his favourite snack. ;-)

Nobody's mentioned pistachio nuts yet :yes:

Also really like proper pork scratchings, onion rings, heck, probably everything mentioned so far.

Gaz

Pork scratchings. Here's my Border Terrier, Muttley in the pub with his favourite snack. ;-) Edited by flying pig
  • Like 2

OMG!  how could we have got this far until someone remembers pork scratchings!

The local abattoir makes their own, absolutely brill.  Nice thick layer of moussy, fluffy fat under the crispy puffy skin.  Sold in heart attack sized bags with more salt than you can shake a stick at.  The ultimate.

They also sell delicious black pudding.  Its great fried up in the time honoured fashion.  It adds a distinctive robustness to stewy type dishes.  But sliced and diced and eaten cold with manly flavoured beers - mmmmm.

While we're on the carniverous thing, my sister (lives in Germany) is really into curing meat.  One of my favourites is pork belly cured in salt, juniper berries and red wine.  She hangs it over the stair well in her apartment block for weeks (fortunately she is on the top floor) because it is always cool, dry and draughty.  

Not sure what the downstairs neighbours think of the occasional blood splat.

Best eaten sliced very thin - you really need a machine - it makes little curls which slip nicely into your mouth.  Can also be served with other sliced charcuterie to make a nice pre starter amuse bouche.

A nice picante chorizo, cut into chunks.  A decent cervelat, but for me a smear of hot English mustard to cut through the fattiness.  The Klinemarkt Halle in the centre of Frankfurt has a few butchers who sell garlic sausage.  Quite soft, so you can almost spread it, really nice, but as you really need bread with it, more of a proper snack/light meal than the stuff we have been discussing.

Markets in France, particularly in southern regions, have stalls selling nothing but multitudinous types of dried and cured sausage.  They have sausage made from a wide range of critters.  Donkey, ostrich, probably alligator too.  They distinguish between the different types of deer, almost any type of game meat, particularly wild boar and of course the honourable pig.  

I have found the flavourings more determinate of the final "niceness".  Fennel and juniper work well with most types of animal.

Again, being fairly fatty, I prefer them thinly sliced.  Being from the south, a robust red is my choice of accompaniment.

• Like 2

For vegetarians.

Home made humous is sooooo much better than the stuff in a plastic tub. 

So easy to make.  If you have a blender/processor or a big mortar and pestle.

I use the Jamie Oliver recipe,  http://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-features/features/best-basic-hummus-recipe/

In case you think its too difficult, here's the method:- 

Rinse the chickpeas in cold water and tip into the food processor. Add the tahini, crushed garlic, salt, lemon juice and seven tablespoons of the reserved liquid from the cans. Turn on the food processor and slowly pour in the oil while it runs.

That's all.  You may have to go somewhere to get tahini, but you don't need much and it keeps in the fridge.  You could make your own.  It's only whizzed up toasted sesame seeds.  Lidl have tinned chickpeas.

The obvious thing is to pick up some pitta and toast that, but ordinary toast will work too, especially if you treat it to the olive oil and garlic thing like for a bruschetta.

• Like 1

Some great ideas on here, thanks, please keep them coming-I'll try anything new!

We love hummus/humous and it is my little daughter's absolute favourite snack, especially the jalapeno version, bizarrely.

On the same theme, who's got the best switch/alternatives for my guilty favourites that are bad for me?

I just need something satisfying, preferably crunchy and savoury/salty to go with wine or before a meal-it is a family ritual and I'm slipping back into fat and calorie laden stuff.

Please keep them coming....!!

Edited by mender