Mirrorlink Update

In theory I should have MirrorLink on my new Polo which I'm picking up on Wednesday. However, VW stopped offering it for a couple of months but it's now an option again. If it hasn't come from the factory with it, I'm hoping the dealer can activate it.

As for whether it'll make factory sat-navs redundant, I'm not sure. For one, the application needs to be an approved application before it'll display on the head-unit and also the satellite reception might be better on a factory unit than on the phone. 

The Polo's I think were the first to have the new media systems (gen 2), hence why the Fabia is getting it. I think Golfs will get it next year, so I'd be surprised if the Octavia got it any sooner.

I've got a columbus coming on mine with canton. Having had an rns510 version A In my mk5 golf previously which struggled to display the next track name, the current system will be a big step up for me, i don't feel shortchanged

If someone drops me a PM with their VIN I'll see if I can generate a direct download link for the Amundsen.

Did that.....

Hope it works. I just got either a 404 or a piece of XML telling me that the BLOB (ah! so that's how it's stored) wasn't found

Edited by billat29

You have to understand that there are probably 10s of thousands of VAG owners trying to download the same files straight after they are released.

5Gb or 17Gb for the Columbus requires a huge bandwidth for even a small number of connections.

Back in the UK it would take me 2 months to download with my 10Gb limited connection. :(

• Like 1

You have to understand that there are probably 10s of thousands of VAG owners trying to download the same files straight after they are released.

5Gb or 17Gb for the Columbus requires a huge bandwidth for even a small number of connections.

Back in the UK it would take me 2 months to download with my 10Gb limited connection. :(

Yeah, true but you shouldn't get a 404 file not found error. You should get either connection refused, web server error or timeout if that is the case.

Anyway andyvee posted the link. I have already downloaded while I typed this and will have a go later today.

17gb? holy crap. I can see why vag/the dealers would prefer you to do it

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Actually the new Columbus maps are 21Gb..... Ouch!

+1

For sure, they will only offer this for "new" customers whos car comes with a gen2 headunit with MirrorLink & firmware updates supported.

Everyone else will just have to settle for 3 years of map updates... :(

Map update only for me, not 100% sure what Mirrorlink is but think I can live without it. If a firmware up date ever came out so speed.. sorry safety cams could be added I will not be happy.

+1

For sure, they will only offer this for "new" customers whos car comes with a gen2 headunit with MirrorLink & firmware updates supported.

Everyone else will just have to settle for 3 years of map updates... :(

I take some of my sceptisism back, I had a "bluetooth" update available for my car also which I ran last night.

I guess this means that (hardware permintting) the older units can also have more than just map data updates via USB/SD-Card without an official reprogramming tool.

However, I still think its unlikely that they will provide real "new" functionality for the older units.

Still waiting for my 21Gb map update to download..... :(

This is all still a massive step ahead of the updates that are available for the MK2 Octavia and current Superb Columbus units. Only option there is by an expensive DVD (officially anyway).

I think that Skoda are offering free downloadable updates is a great idea.

Still waiting for my 21Gb map update to download..... :(

What connection have you got and also how much are you paying for your 10gb limit?! An unlimited broadband connection is far from expensive these days.

With my current speed 21gb would take approximately 70 minutes.

Phil

In the UK its for my rental property so I pay for only the minimum service so I pay only 5gbp.

Here I have a 10Mbps connection but maximum download speed last night from the update server was 1.1Mbps - estimated download time 7.5 hours...

With regards to software updates I agree its a nice way to get some improvements & new functions.

I just hope it doesn't descend into the Android type mess where nothing is tested & there is a new update every day..

I'll take a pass on mirrorlink which seems pretty restrictive. Jump straight to Android Auto DevBytes: Introduction to Android Auto:

Am I the only one who isn't totally enamoured by this Android Auto thing? The idea of having to connect your phone to your car with a cable is, like, sooooo 2007.

As far as android or ios or whatever goes, I like the idea of an independent system in the car which syncs your apps/music/etc automatically through its own dedicated (4G or suchlike) connection. The phone itself would connect via bluetooth and only be used for calls. That's my dream and I'm clinging on to it.

As far as android or ios or whatever goes, I like the idea of an independent system in the car which syncs your apps/music/etc automatically through its own dedicated (4G or suchlike) connection. The phone itself would connect via bluetooth and only be used for calls. That's my dream and I'm clinging on to it.

So you just want to sellotape a tablet to your dashboard then? :)

• Like 2

Audi/BMW get close. I have a dedicated 3G sim in my S1 that allows me to go online directly via the car MMI. Can send sat nav destinations to it amongst other things like Google Earth/street view..

My BMW had more of an App concept, but you were limited to a built in GPRS module so was slow, it could tweet/Facebook stuff for you though. It was quite clever and predict what you wanted to post based on variables like temperature and what the car was doing (roof up/down), so it would say 'I'm in my BMW with the roof down enjoying the 24 degree weather!' - I never used it!

Been researching this a little and found this for apple users. The drawback? Skoda cars aren't listed, current or planned! :-(

https://www.apple.com/uk/ios/carplay/

Unfortunately VW seems to have chosen MirrorLink in favor of CarPlay...which is a shame IMO...there shouldn't be any technical reason there couldn't be support for both, at least other manufacturers support both.

Unfortunately VW seems to have chosen MirrorLink in favor of CarPlay...which is a shame IMO...there shouldn't be any technical reason there couldn't be support for both, at least other manufacturers support both.

Because mirrolink is a universal standard that has been around for longer. Carplay is Apple exclusive... once again apple wants their own standard!