mpg from cold 2 mile urban journey 1.2 or 1.4tsi

Thanks for your speedy reply. Whilst i take your point the mpg will be rubbish i want to know how rubbish? I want to know the actual figures. For example one car say a 1.6 petrol sportage might be 15 mpg and an octavia 1.2 might be 25 mpg, which is quite a difference. I do about 60 miles of this sort of driving a week.

Yes I also do some other journeys but i think i already know the figures for them.

Thanks again.

Get a push bike

That was my initial thought too but this might not be an option if you are delivering bulky items or the driver has some physical issues or the roads are dangerous for bikes.

To the OP: can you get a test drive with the dealer of both types & emulate the trip & record the mpg from dead cold?  This will be your best indicator.  The dealer might even do it for you!

That was my initial thought too but this might not be an option if you are delivering bulky items or the driver has some physical issues or the roads are dangerous for bikes.

To the OP: can you get a test drive with the dealer of both types & emulate the trip & record the mpg from dead cold? This will be your best indicator. The dealer might even do it for you!

I too had the same initial thought as you.

My second thought was get a nail with 12 months mot and abuse that!

I have a mate who does a similar journey in a breathed on Hawkeye Subaru impreza. It breaks my heart!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the expected comedy replies, no doubt there will be more, hope so! unfortunately its a serious question to whch i am and have devoted considerable time, to help me decide the best next car for me, which may be an octavia, 1.2 or 1.4 or ot may be some other make of car. Its not just octavias i am looking at, but I think they are the most likely winner. Doesnt the octavia have a built in trip computer thingymibob? Isnt it just a case of reset and see what its reading after 2 miles of urban from cold? If so if some owners would kindly do that for me that would be fantastic. If not, sorry it will be more difficult to find out than i thought. I will be test driving some other cars, as i dont think i will be getting a reply on their forums as theire arent enough users on the forums, and resetting the trip computer before setting off and taking a reading. Hoping You can save me time in not having to test drive octavias, which i did test drive last year but didnt look at mpg.

Walking or biking is not an option unfortunately otherwise I would.

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll get a good answer 567golden. It's going to dependant on far too many things to give you even a remotely sensible answer, things like your driving style, mood, roads, traffic, ambient temperature for a start. Be aware that trip computers are normally inaccurate for MPG figures as in there are many reports of them being up to 10% out which will mess up the comparison even if you do find volunteers or cars to drive.

Skoda suggest the following for urban, extra urban and combined driving from an old brochure:

1.2 TSI 105ps, 39.8, 57.7 49.6

1.4 TSI 122ps, 33.2 56.5 44.8

The 1.2 get 20% more MPG than the 1.4 in the urban section so even at cold I'd expect the 1.2 to get slightly better MPG, at a complete guess, some where in the 10%-20% range but still much lower than the quoted figure.

I'd probably choose the more powerful one as I'd rather have an abundance of power rather than a shortage. If running costs are a primary concern, go for the one which is least to tax, insurance and service.

I appreciate it's not the answer you were looking for but hopefully useful.

To offer the best advice we really need a little more information than you have provided.

As has been mentioned on the face of it an electric car or petrol / electric hybrid would appear to suit your needs better than a conventionally powered petrol 1.2 TSi Octavia.

Where in the world are you?

Are you buying new or used? What sort of budget do you have?

What will the car be used for, aside from fuel economy what other requirements do you have?

Which other cars have you test driven / considered?

What is behind the preference for an Octavia?

Etc. etc.

• Like 1

Two replies advocating electric or hybrid cars - no good will come of it I tell ye!

The figures speak for themselves and it is food for thought. As an example a Nissan Leaf manages the equivalent of 129 MPG in stop start city driving. It doesn't need to warm up........you get this figure as soon as you move it off the drive way. Maybe the OP requires a larger car than a Leaf and that's fair enough.

But it illustrates the point well that electric or hybrid cars actually produce their best MPG figures in city driving, and if I had the budget and was looking for a car to do 2 mile trips in a city, I'd seriously explore the electric/hybrid options.   

If it's any help, my 1.8tsi would be at about 12L/100km (23mpg) at the 3km (2m) mark.  That's about 10 minutes up the road.

I think the smallest engine would tend to give the best short term mileage.

Don't you Brits have a zero road tax on zero emission vehicles?  What about one of those stupid little cars I saw belting about London when I was there in 2010?  You could run 2 vehicles then.

• Like 1

We've done nothing but short 5 miles or less journeys in our car for the past couple of weeks in our 1.9.

Our MPG has plummeted and it's looking like we're going to get less than 500 miles out of the tank!

Short journeys really take their toll on any car.

The 1.2 may have a advantage over the 1.4. But I don't know which will heat up quicker.

Phil

The first 2 miles of my journey is urban and pretty much all uphill. I get 22-23mpg out of my 1.8TSi depending on ambient temp. Before this I had a Fabia 1.2TSi and I used to get 22-24 depending on ambient temp. This is working the engine more than driving on the flat so the differences are likely to be less because the 1.8 is more torquey so you work it less. At the end of the day, it's physics, it needs a certain amount of energy to move a mass a certain distance and you would be using the engine at its least efficient (cold). Stop/starting will be far more detrimental running a cold engine but I don't think you'd see much difference to be honest. The 1.4 might offer a bit more on longer journeys or if you want to get toe down for a bit of fun.

However you look at it it depends on how you drive and if the route is all straight 50 mph roads or twisty turny 30 mph up hill and down dale roads.

There wont be much difference on either car, do you drive like an F1 driver or the local vicar?

If your doing 2 miles each way your going to get between 10 and 15 journeys to a gallon, if thats all your doing per week then your fuel spend is going to be a fiver a week.

Al those advocating electric cars, have you seen how much they cost? eg citigo 1.0 se £8900, vw e-up £17500 no contest on cost.

Not a 1.2 or 1.4 but for what its worth, in my 2.0 vRS estate I do the first mile every morning from cold on flat, then 1/4 mile steep downhill in gear often on overrun, then about a mile or so in crawling stop/start traffic up to a busy set of traffic lights.  

On a good day at this time of year, (only by the trip computer) it displays about 20-22 mpg at the bottom of the hill and same by the traffic lights if lucky. Frosty morning will see that down to 18mpg.

By the end of the journey with rest of it on more mixed/open urban/A road & dual carriageway its up to 29-32. If go another route after the lights though that could be as good as 36/37 mpg

As most have said above 2 miles from cold in any car will be poor.

My dear lady's Multiair 1.4 Punto will do slightly better over the first 2 miles but not massively and you have to try hard/be lucky.

Al those advocating electric cars, have you seen how much they cost? eg citigo 1.0 se £8900, vw e-up £17500 no contest on cost.

Have you seen how much they depreciate? A 3 year old Nissan Leaf with under 20,000 miles on the clock can be had for around the £10k mark.

Besides, with the VW e-up you are paying a premium for the badge!  :wonder: