Amundsen not always working

Amundsen doesn't read usb 50% of time when starting up and sometimes touchscreen doesnt respond to touch.This morning it was 5 mins before I could get a sound out of it.also radio didn't make a sound

• 1 month later...

Yes, my Amundson is always very slow, but I have sometimes had this problem you describe where it won't do anything at all for several minutes, and also another where the sat nav location stops working and says "No GPS data". Not sure if the two are related or not but it's annoying.

However, I'm happy to say I have found a solution. Simply wait until it gets really unbearable, then phone up any dealer and ask for an appointment, and it immediately starts working again. I've done this twice now.

• Like 2

I had the display on mine not firing up one morning although it was still working otherwise. Stopped the car and restarted - still the same. However when I stopped, removed keys from ignition, then restarted the car it came back fine.

• 3 weeks later...
came to set off to work this am and the unit was completely unresponsive - not only was it not responsing to the touch screen, but not of the control buttons were working either. It was in NAV mode, and the rotary dials were working as regards volume and the map scale.

I couldn't retune the radio via the steering wheel controls either

I managed to turn the ignition off once or twice on the way into work, but that didn't make any difference

When I got to work, I turned the ignition off for a minute or two, turned it back on, used the steering wheel controls to go into NAv mode and selected a destination and everything seemed to be back to normal

wonder if this is the same issue ?

I've only had my vRS a week but have noticed that it can suffer amnesia when set to shuffle from the root directory on SD card (one track playing in the root directory then press shuffle, not sure if I need to do this in the Octy with Amundsen but had to with my Yeti Bolero unit) After a stop sometimes it will just continue playing the whole album that it stopped on. It seems random but does seem pick albums that I do particularly like. Odd. It's on my rainy day list of things to understand.  

Certainly on my old Ford Mondeo I had to switch it off for good a few seconds before it would sort itself out and wake up.

EDIT: So far no issues with the satnav bit.

Hi, I had a similar problem early last year when the touch screen on my Amundsen unit was totally unresponsive to any form of touch, but the radio etc only could still be controlled via the steering wheel controls. And the fault was finally cured when my dealer replaced the touchscreen head unit, and since no problems. 

Is the unit the same as the RNS510?

Any link on the hardware of the unit?

TIA,

Think you'll find it's the RNS315.

Mine has failed me a couple of times.

I had taken to charging my phone via the USB but it takes to trying to attach it as a mass storage device, doesnt like it then it wont output any sound on any source until you tell it to eject the USB device...where it then continues to charge.

Sometime the device wont eject even if the cable is pulled (basically locked up) so have to do the 10 sec power button trick to reset..

Once (and it has only happened once) the screen just remained blank on start up displaying nothing, not even lighting up. Wierdly the radio was playing and touching the screen made it beep. Turning the ignition off the restarting the car sorted it.

Have to say as good as the infotainment is, it certainly has its share of bugs. I think at the moment i would still rather have something a little less integrated that worked more robustly but they havw to move the game on dont they.....using QNX as an OS base is a good starting point so can only improve.

Think you'll find it's the RNS315.

No it is definitely not an RNS315 or 510. Those are the old VW tech and consist of a single unit. Both the Amundsen and Columbus are MQB platform tech and consist of a screen with controls and a separate unit in the glovebox. RNS315 ran off a disc, RNS510 had a HDD. Amundsen runs off SD with two card slots. 

Edited by DougL

No it is definitely not an RNS315 or 510. Those are the old VW tech and consist of a single unit. Both the Amundsen and Columbus are MQB platform tech and consist of a screen with controls and a separate unit in the glovebox. RNS315 ran off a disc, RNS510 had a HDD. Amundsen runs off SD with two card slots. 

Apologies, I stand corrected, but it see there are others equally confused!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-RNS-315-automotive-navigation-unit-GPS-antenna-Radio-MP3-3T035192P-/261705457412

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Latest-Skoda-COLUMBUS-RNS-510-LED-GPS-Navigation-system-SatNav-MP3-MFD3-DVD-/171634427649

Yes very confusing indeed, as Skoda reused the names from the previous technology, even thought they are completely different. I was very surprised to find a skinny screen when I was doing some cable routing on my Golf 7!