Wet Carpet - A Pillar Leaking Not Door Seals

NathanG

Afternoon all,

In my quest to discover why my drivers front carpet is ALWAYS soaking i decided to take the kick panel off (where the bonnet release handle is). My doors are 100% dry so its not the usual thing. Upon removing the kick panel here.....

post-101242-14168319158547_thumb.jpg

And pulling the rubber bung out i noticed this.....

post-101242-14168319550096_thumb.jpg

For those of you who are eagle eyed enough that is a god damn pool of water trapped between my inner and outter wing or door shut of what ever you want to call it. What i want to know is A. Where is it coming from and B. If it is supposed to do this where are the drain holes so i can check for blockage.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen someone else on here make this same discovery, but I can't remember who it was now, nor what they did to fix it.  Maybe a search of this forum using the word 'kickplate' or 'kick panel' might throw up something.  I vaguely remember they had difficulty removing that part, so must have mentioned it by some similar term.

I read all DJR's stuff before posting as i had this problem a year ago. No one seems to have the same problem as me either. Ppl are getting a little bit of water in and its tracking down, i have a lot of water pooled between the inner and outter skins. I had to get a straw earlier to suck the water out. 5 big mouthfulls before it emptied. If the car is designed to take water in here (which it may be hence the need for rubber bungs) then how is it supposed to flow out.

I read all DJR's stuff before posting as i had this problem a year ago. No one seems to have the same problem as me either. Ppl are getting a little bit of water in and its tracking down, i have a lot of water pooled between the inner and outter skins. I had to get a straw earlier to suck the water out. 5 big mouthfulls before it emptied. If the car is designed to take water in here (which it may be hence the need for rubber bungs) then how is it supposed to flow out.

I would say water is not supposed to be there. Grommets and seals around cables and switches would be my bet as to the cause.

And some more...

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1416835029.426279.jpg

The wheel arch is all clear too....

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1416835066.526357.jpg

Any ideas guys.

Isn't that grommet supposed to be covered by the plastic wheel arch liner? Mine has no exposed grommets like that. The wheel will throw water at that grommet and it will get past it as I know they are a pretty sloppy fit. 

Or maybe you just pulled the liner away for the pic?

Isn't that grommet supposed to be covered by the plastic wheel arch liner? Mine has no exposed grommets like that. The wheel will throw water at that grommet and it will get past it as I know they are a pretty sloppy fit.

Or maybe you just pulled the liner away for the pic?

its pulled away for the photo. I needed to see if there were supposed to be any drainage channels in there.

its pulled away for the photo. I needed to see if there were supposed to be any drainage channels in there.

Ah OK.

That grommet in the wheel arch looks "wet" underneath and then towards the bottom of the arch area. Coincidence? Or is it leaking out through it?

It is wet, i sprayed water in the arch to ensure there was no big chunks of silt clogging up drainage holes.

I'd check under the wippers grill. I've always had in there a mini ecosystem. The water was/is coming through the polen filter.

In the plenum chamber.  Done that already, i coverd the bonnet release cable grommet in plumbers gold too.  My water leak is on the wrong side for it to be pollen filter, also it would have to be a sneaky leak for the water to go from the passengers side across the car to end up in my drivers inner skin haha.  Its definatly something on the drivers side.  I dont know whether its a door hinge, of the door stay, i'm just absolutly lost.  I dont know if water is suppoed to go in there and then drain out, then i would have a starting point to look at i.e. a blocked drain.  Buy no one seems to know if thats what is supposed to happen if that makes sense.  If water isnt supposed to get in there then i have a leak as opposed to a blockage...i really hope that makes sense lol

What about the wipers? theres a squirter on that side? hmm what else can be gettin wet in there... only other thing I can think of is a blockage in the drain channels in the wing... hmm - only other thing with water on that side is the header tank!

What about the wipers? theres a squirter on that side? hmm what else can be gettin wet in there... only other thing I can think of is a blockage in the drain channels in the wing... hmm - only other thing with water on that side is the header tank!

Had the wipers off on Sunday when i plumbers gold'd the bonnet release cable. I've been in work all day and parked on a camber to see how bad it actually leaks (it peed down all day in Newport for a change). Came out of work and the hole had overflowed into the footwell.

My washer liquid is bright pink, this water is clear and tastes like water. Drains are all clear, i can use a jet wash through them fine. Again with the header tank, my antifreeze is bright pink. This is 100% pure rainwater.

I stripped the passenger side out tonight to see if that side was dry or wet. That side is so dry i actually had dust on my finger, i pulled the carpet back a little and its damp to the touch which I'm not worried about too much as the amount of heat thats been aimed at the floor its bound to cause a bit of condensation between the sauna that is my car and the arctic conditions that we have in the South Wales Valleys.

So now I'm convinced that its a top down leak as opposed to a blocked drain. Question is where....

I pulled the bung out that's half way up the A piller and had a feel around and all appears to be dry (as much as i can feel) so the water may be coming in through the door stay, or may be coming form higher up i.e a weak seam somewhere thats perforated. Im just at a bit of a loss.

Have you tried a hose pipe on it as I suggested earlier?

If im honest not really. Ive trickled a jug if water down it but as i worked the weekend i only had yesterday off work. By the time i get in from work its already dark so i haven't had the opportunity to yet. But i will be doing it. Its the most easily accessible place to see where its coming from inside the skin either.

could be leaky screen?

I had the screen replaced last year and it was leaking before that. I watched the guy like a hawk (not that im an expert or anything). I asked him to make sure he put enough black stuff on to ensure it wouldn't leak but it leaked before the new screen anyway.

In that link you posted i replied to that in January this year haha. Ive had this problem for over a year and just when i think ive sorted it BOOM it comes raging back.

I thought I recognised this... its like de ja vue all over again :P
If it was me I would have checked with a mirror on a stick in the hole to see if I could see any blockages, shine a bright light up there and see if any light shines out, see if u can poke the drain hole out - or put one back in (if its missing)

good luck on your quest!