First service & filter change?

TransmitterMan

Think oil filter WILL be changed along with the oil, it was on my petrol Yeti at 10,000.

One of my ( several ) hobbyhorses is to change oil AND filter every year / 12,000 miles in all our family cars. We recently sold an 'r' reg 1.0 Polo with almost 100,000 miles as well as a 1.2 Fabia with 149,000+ miles, both of which had annual oil changes and neither had any engine problems.

For me I insist on Annual,or 10,000 mile oil/oil filter change whatever the manufacturer or service schedule says. I'm on variable servicing and the car indicates service at 18000 miles and I do 9000 a year. I get my local garage to do the intermediate changes and the dealer to do the official ones (looks good in service book).

For me I insist on Annual,or 10,000 mile oil/oil filter change whatever the manufacturer or service schedule says. I'm on variable servicing and the car indicates service at 18000 miles and I do 9000 a year. I get my local garage to do the intermediate changes and the dealer to do the official ones (looks good in service book).

If you only do 9000 miles a year your Yeti should be set to fixed servicing.

Just had a full service done at 13000.

They did not want to change all the filters but, it's my car and my money.

Next year I'll get the brake fluid changed, and the Haldex oil changed as well.

I tend to wonder, do Skoda dealer/garages want the work or do they just want to sell the cars?

Had my first service done yesterday at 18 months and 14,000 miles. The bill was £169.42 and included oil, filter, cleaner and screw. (Oh, wouldn't Bob's fingers would be flying over the keyboard now....newer members - don't ask but it usually resulted in sitting in a corner with beer). Everything fine just an advisory about a cut in the n/s/f and tread on the o/s/r being down to 3mm along the centre of the tyre, which may be just the nudge I need to invest in a set of all-season tyres before the winter sets in (if we are having one this year on the South Coast).

It'll only look 'good' if the intermediate services are also logged in the service book.

If not then someone is going to think the car has had fresh oil only every other year.

As mentioned, why not simpy set the car to fixed servicing, this way you'll get the stamps in the book each year.

A fixed service is £139 from a main Skoda dealer.

When the dealer said 'no filters' they meant the pollen, air and fuel filters. 

The oil is never replaced without also replacing the oil filter.

This is why Skoda's variable or long life servicing is a potential rip-off. You pay an extra £120 for... nothing.

The pollen, air and fuel filters are only changed "if required" which on most VAG engines isn't until at least 3 years or 60,000 miles.

So those paying the £259 for a variable service on a young car is basically getting the £139 fixed service...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/national-pricing/servicing

Had my first service done yesterday at 18 months and 14,000 miles. The bill was £169.42 and included oil, filter, cleaner and screw.

Was anything else included?

Next time be sure to mention Skoda's 'National Pricing Policy' as above. Almost all UK dealers sign up to it, those that don't will often price match if you mention it.

A £139 fixed or minor service would have saved you £30.

Was anything else included?

Next time be sure to mention Skoda's 'National Pricing Policy' as above. Almost all UK dealers sign up to it, those that don't will often price match if you mention it.

A £139 fixed or minor service would have saved you £30.

Hi Silver 1101. Just the four items I mentioned plus a visual check around the car. My first service came up at 14,000 miles and 18 months so the next one is likely to be at about 3 years and 36 months so I'll only be paying for two services whereas on fixed (annual) servicing I would pay for three so for my use and mileage variable servicing saves me money. I know some members preference is for oil and filter changes annually or at fixed mileages of 9,000 or 10,000 miles and until the Yeti I had always assumed "this is the way the car gods mean it to be" but it doesn't really seem logical - some cars do most of their mileage on short runs in cities, others cover the same annual mileage pottering around quiet roads. Some drivers are light footed, others seem to think its an on/off switch rather than an accelerator. These things must affect when a car needs a service and I believe oil technology must have improved considerably over the 40+ years I've owned cars. For the same length of time I've also owned dogs and every year, regular as clockwork, they went and had their jab. But I've got a great, progressive vet and he's convinced me that the annual booster is a convenience for vets - the protection lasts for different periods of time depending on what is being vaccinated against, the strain of vaccine used and the individual dog. You can only tell what needs topping up with a blood test, which is what I now do, vaccinating selectively for those things where protection has dropped. Logically the engine management units in modern cars are sufficiently sophisticated now that they provide the "blood test" for individual vehicles. So then the question becomes is the fixed 12 month/12,000 miles service for the convenience of the customer or the garage? It doesn't really matter, it's what each of us is happy with. (And with a 5 year warranty and a reasonable expectation of trading the car in at 5 years old, I'm happy to let Skoda take the risk with variable servicing).

• Like 2

I understand your point, I was just trying to offer you the chance of reducing the cost of your next service.

Instead of the £259 (variable/long life) service (or in your case what sounds like an interim service for £170) you could have paid £139.

The contents of the £139 service compared to the £170/£259 service for your vehicles age and mileage are indentical - oil, oil filter and a visual check.

As an example, my local dealer will perform a £139 fixed service but set the computer to variable / long life.

At 3 years old or 60,000 miles I'll have the same £139 fixed service but add an air, fuel and pollen filter to the bill from their menu pricing. This still works out cheaper than a variable / long life service.

I appreciate for a few quid some people can't be chewed with the hassle, however I believe it is important that people are made aware of what exactly they are getting for their £259 major service, quite often they are getting a £139 service for £259!

A £120 'discount' for a 30 second conversation when booking the car in...

Edited by silver1011

It'll only look 'good' if the intermediate services are also logged in the service book.

If not then someone is going to think the car has had fresh oil only every other year.

As mentioned, why not simpy set the car to fixed servicing, this way you'll get the stamps in the book each year.

A fixed service is £139 from a main Skoda dealer.

I only want the minimum work to be done by dealer which is adequate for service book because I want my neighbour garage to do as much of any additional work as possible at minimal cost compared with even the prices you quote and I also trust him more that the dealer.

As I've said on several posts, do it your self if you are any good with spanners. And don't get dragged into the " must have the service book stamped" way of thinking, who can tell if those stamps are genuine?

I don't think the book gets stamped now. Everything is held on a computer database.

Colin

It should be stamped Colin. I agree that it is all held on a database but that's only accessible by VAG dealers. Any other dealer or privated buyer when you sell it will want to see "full service history".

I always check that the book has been stamped and it was only missed only once and I requested a dealer stamp and he said "Sorry we forgot"!

Fred 

I don't think the book gets stamped now. Everything is held on a computer database.

It should be stamped Colin. I agree that it is all held on a database but that's only accessible by VAG dealers. Any other dealer or privated buyer when you sell it will want to see "full service history".

I always check that the book has been stamped and it was only missed only once and I requested a dealer stamp and he said "Sorry we forgot"!

The only stamp you can get in a new "Service Schedule" is for the PDI / Supplying Dealer. After that there is a pocket in the book for the computer printout.

This only works if you get the car serviced at a dealer. What if you get it serviced at an independent? Then the book stamp is all you have. Of course they should have records that corroborate the stamp, should anyone want to verify.

The only stamp you can get in a new "Service Schedule" is for the PDI / Supplying Dealer. After that there is a pocket in the book for the computer printout.

I think that would satisfy my "full service history" unless it's in digital format!

Fred

I collected my FL Yeti in June. It does not have a traditional "Service Book", with sections laid out to be dated, stamped etc. It is about 5 sides of A5 with no space fro services to be recorded

I was told that when the vehicle is serviced you get a print out receipt that you keep in the back of the booklet. When it has the next service you get a new print-out, with the running total of work done over the series of the services.

Colin

• 1 month later...

Where can I get an "old fashioned" Maintenance Manual which will show what work should be carried out at relevant time or mileage intervals?