aftermarket wheels thread

5 hours ago, Swirly182 said:

I don't understand your comment! 

Comparing the three photos below it looks like the blue and red car have lowered/sports suspension.

Octavia MK3 with standard ride height

2016 Skoda Octavia SE L TSi Estate 1.4 Front.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Škoda_Octavia#/media/File:2016_Skoda_Octavia_SE_L_TSi_Estate_1.4_Front.jp

15mm Lowered ride height, ie. sports suspension

20220908_170028.thumb.jpg.558d63702332c7652f17889c14803098.jpg

15mm Lowered ride height, ie. sports suspension1920px-2015_Skoda_Octavia_VRS_TDi_CR_2.0_Rear.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Škoda_Octavia#/media/File:2015_Skoda_Octavia_VRS_TDi_CR_2.0_Rear.jpg

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1

Ok 👍 My point was Dooge's vRS looks slightly high, even though it is lower from the factory. I've attached a couple of photos of my standard vRS on level ground. Admittedly I'm only going off looks from a photo and not actual measurements but there seems to be a difference. Not even sure what the point is I'm trying to prove 😂

Screenshot_2023-04-10-14-52-18-90_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

Screenshot_2023-04-10-14-48-13-60_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Protrack wheels ONE

18 x 8 et45

Pilot sport 5 - 225/40/18

Alloy weight is 8.7kg each.

(So saving around 3kg per corner versus the oem Gemini's)

20230429_103843-01.jpeg

20230429_103817-01.jpeg

Edited by vrs'burks
  • Like 4

On 10/04/2023 at 14:58, Swirly182 said:

Ok 👍 My point was Dooge's vRS looks slightly high, even though it is lower from the factory. I've attached a couple of photos of my standard vRS on level ground. Admittedly I'm only going off looks from a photo and not actual measurements but there seems to be a difference. Not even sure what the point is I'm trying to prove 😂

Screenshot_2023-04-10-14-52-18-90_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

Screenshot_2023-04-10-14-48-13-60_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

Yours does look low, but from looking around over the time I've had mine I think most dont look as low as yours. Yours looks like it has springs fitted? 

15 minutes ago, Dooge said:

Yours does look low, but from looking around over the time I've had mine I think most dont look as low as yours. Yours looks like it has springs fitted? 

That front arch gap definitely looks standard.

4 minutes ago, vrs'burks said:

That front arch gap definitely looks standard.

As in mine or his? 

Id definitely be weirded out if mine has had suspension work/stuff replaced with non standard. Full dealer service history for 80k when I bought it and no sign of any suspension work. I'll see soon though when I get the springs fitted.

Edited by Dooge

37 minutes ago, Dooge said:

As in mine or his? 

Id definitely be weirded out if mine has had suspension work/stuff replaced with non standard. Full dealer service history for 80k when I bought it and no sign of any suspension work. I'll see soon though when I get the springs fitted.

The red estate. . . 

On the bottom picture the back looks lower but possibly just a loaded up boot . . 

But the front arch gap is too much for any kind of lowering.

Meh, I don't get it. I don't see why there would be vast differences between two cars running the same setup. Though I've always thought the facelifts look lower than the pre facelift 🤔

24 minutes ago, Dooge said:

Meh, I don't get it. I don't see why there would be vast differences between two cars running the same setup. Though I've always thought the facelifts look lower than the pre facelift 🤔

That will probably be because the facelift has a narrower front track width.

Pushing the wheels out into the arches can make a car look lower without actually lowering it.

The red estate is definitely standard as I've had the car from day one. I know in the top photo the car looks loaded up but it had just been emptied at the caravan site. I suppose the only way to confirm either way is to measure the distance from ground to sill. 

I also failed to recognise that yours is a pre-facelift so not a like for like comparison - as said the facelift rear track is wider and the arch gap might appear less. I'll be quiet now!

11 hours ago, vrs'burks said:

Protrack wheels ONE

18 x 8 et45

Pilot sport 5 - 225/40/18

Alloy weight is 8.7kg each.

(So saving around 3kg per corner versus the oem Gemini's)

20230429_103843-01.jpeg

20230429_103817-01.jpeg

In a world of corroded diamond cut alloys, these look fantastic 👍

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Hi guys,

I've found a set of Audi wheels that I think would look great on my FL vRS but Im hesitant about the fitment, might poke a bit too much. What do you guys think? I now run Extreme 19" with 15mm spacers front and 20mm rear.

Audi wheels are18x8,5 ET29.

10 minutes ago, Darth_Octavia said:

Hi guys,

I've found a set of Audi wheels that I think would look great on my FL vRS but Im hesitant about the fitment, might poke a bit too much. What do you guys think? I now run Extreme 19" with 15mm spacers front and 20mm rear.

Audi wheels are18x8,5 ET29.

I chucked the specs into WillTheyFit.com, you would end up with 35mm poke! Unless you are adding plastic arch extensions (please don't) then they will be massively too wide with that offset. 

Standard Extremes are offset 51 and 7.5j wide. Also, you'd need spigot rings as most Audi rims are for 66.6mm diameter hubs.

28 minutes ago, Dooge said:

I chucked the specs into WillTheyFit.com, you would end up with 35mm poke! Unless you are adding plastic arch extensions (please don't) then they will be massively too wide with that offset. 

Standard Extremes are offset 51 and 7.5j wide. Also, you'd need spigot rings as most Audi rims are for 66.6mm diameter hubs.

I may be wrong here but the 19" have 44,3mm poke and I have 20mm spacers so 64,3 mm in total, that means its a 14,7 mm difference? Seems like its not a huge difference? But might be just to much after all?

9 minutes ago, Darth_Octavia said:

I may be wrong here but the 19" have 44,3mm poke and I have 20mm spacers so 64,3 mm in total, that means its a 14,7 mm difference? Seems like its not a huge difference? But might be just to much after all?

Unfortunately It's not just about the offset, you are looking at wheels 1 inch width wider than your extremes. Offset is measured in millimetres (ET), width is measured in inches (J) so 1 inch wider plus the difference in offset. Extremes are 7.5j (7.5 inches) and the ones you are 8.5j (8.5 inches)

1 inch is 25.4 millimetres. So half of this is 12.7mm + the offset difference of 22mm equals 34.7mm or almost 35mm difference total.

Obviously this is from a stock specifications of extreme wheel. With spacers you can say rear would add an extra 15mm (14.7mm to be accurate) over your current setup and front and extra 20mm (19.7mm to be accurate)

Edited by Dooge
  • Like 1

On a somewhat related topic, what VAG wheels look good on an Octavia 3 estate? Looking for a change as I'm not too fond of the stock 16 inch 5 spoke wheels on mine.

Want to keep it 17 inch max. There's a set of golf Belmont wheels near me for sale at the moment, but I'm not sure if they'd look too modern on the Octavia (pre FL in my case).spacer.png