Rob's VRS Special Edition - 300Bhp / 380FtLb

RobLarby

• 4 weeks later...

Only things left to do now are polybushes and the exhaust I think :D oh and I need to actually wire in the senders that I’ve got now.

Once it’s all sorted I’ll book mapping but I’m still contemplating a cam that my friend has for sale...

So braided brake lines, braided clutch line and 4H-Tech shortshifter went on recently.

Also fitted the purple powerflex dogbone bush and the car feels awesome now. Much tighter and willing to go after changing the bush. The shifter also feels brilliant, third is definitely shortened the most, almost feels like it's not even in gear haha

01a347a234cbd33bb3e470ec9e6ed044cd7b503120.thumb.jpg.dbd62405628da81189c0ef33d1c15a88.jpg01e57c1033445bec583565cee77a5303a5cf098f26.thumb.jpg.74c5c270da4eabd997b90a39acef3d92.jpg0154ac10fd16bbc15ae725f2531fc57b3afa8a2c5c.thumb.jpg.cf613b3afbed5069f1a0c81784c39998.jpg01e0a5861d9384df5f73a0d7198e7890d15d3cdceb.thumb.jpg.988cb706ad66030231f19e9354d493ad.jpg01a2d847e11cb511994c36f7695fe217674109e33e.thumb.jpg.8a0e3bdd180df2c20b107e7f7e74ad76.jpg

Tinted plates and a new number plate plinth on as well since it was damaged during recovery from France. Oh and I gave it a good clean finally, last wash was June 15th :(

0173a1b6576e168c7c595aa56b01821ace5055d3f2.thumb.jpg.57632e4e4e885a7114d0d685a5e01740.jpg

On the hunt for Recaro Pole Positions if anyone knows of a set for sale...

P.S - May have got an uprated cam finally... maybe :biggrin:

10 hours ago, Dark_Hero said:

Ooh very nice. Interested in the braided clutch line and shifter. Nothings been available for the Fabia before

Shifter was developed for the fabia with my work as i knew there aren't any available as well as the clutch line. Let me know if you're after either of them :)

• Like 1

Exhaust hopefully being sorted on Saturday and then i guess i should book it in for cam fitment and mapping :D Hoping there aren't any issues as Nurburgring has been booked for May for a long time now :sweat:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Car is now at Narco, unfortunately the car has a missfire type issue when he turned the boost up. Thinking potentially the injector harness or the actual injectors themselves but I've just left it there and asked them to sort it for me. Hopefully it wont take too long :(

Good news though that the Colt cam went in all fine with new cambelt, waterpump, lifters and bearings etc

Well all four injectors were naff so that's another rather large bill :( Should be done for Tuesday 20th now though :) In a way I'm glad the issue was easy to find but it's a little annoying that it's now costing me so much. I've gone for a new set of injectors with new 80% Firad nozzles, Narco advised 80's over 120's if i didn't want excessive smoke.

7 minutes ago, stevobeavo said:

What's actually wrong with your injectors? I take it it's not as simple as just replace the seals.

Don't really know the full details but they were sent off for testing by Narco and he said all four would need replacing

• 3 weeks later...

Still haven't had the car back yet but the Recaros turned up :D Really impressed with the quality of these and how light they are, sat in them a few times before but i can appreciate why they are so expensive now. Just waiting for the car now, I've booked Brands Hatch for April 30th so that'll be a good test before the Ring trip :)

015010468826665b915cd4687ec7d3d23c4cdfb11a.jpg

01804e88e60de30f48b03b5a39ecbe4be925f9fc29.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

So this hasn't been updated in a while... Going to update in fast forward as I don't have time to write an essay lol

Issues with Narco were a joke, got the car back with no dyno graph and I will admit it felt better than before but not anywhere near 300bhp. Rolled on a local dyno and it made 235Bhp.

Found out that I had head lift / bad head gasket 2 days before Nurburgring (Think this was more head gasket rather than lift as the car has ARP studs). Managed to strip the head, skim and sort that all the day before I left somehow. Cost a fortune as I got all new bolts etc from TPS which were around £250, did stem seals as well while I was there. 

Head came off Tuesday, stripped and skimmed. Head then went back on Wednesday around mid-day and started it up at 4PM for a test drive..... I was meeting everyone around midnight that night to go to the Eurotunnel :o

Blew the gasket out from between the tubular and turbo before I'd even got out of England. Still did 5 laps but car was stupidly slow and by the time I got back home the whole engine bay was pure black from soot.

After that I had an idea that the fuel pump or fuel filter could be an issue as I had a misfire type issue. Change the filter and fuel pump and the car drove far far better. Did Brands Hatch track day and around 85 laps of abuse I only had a split CV boot.

Recently went to see ##!!##h and the car made 300Bhp and 350Ftlb. Very pleased with it now but I have since adjusted the VNT and stop screw. Rolled on my works Dyno Dynamics rollers which are known to be fairly low reading, made 291Bhp and 380Ftlb. I still think that there is more to get out of this car as the fuelling is a bit lean since the VNT adjustment and I think a map tweak can get a little more out of it.

That's the performance update done really, lots of other thing happened along the way but too much to remember and can't be bothered adding it on here lol

Just going to add a few images of what's been done instead :D

Link to images :D https://flic.kr/s/aHsmAdzVwy

• Like 2

Just read from start to finish, fantastic thread mate well done for sticking with it. I know what it’s like to have tuning companies let you down and cost you big money. Would you recommend any special tools for the clutch and fly change?  as I’m doing it myself in the near future

1 hour ago, Jase009 said:

Just read from start to finish, fantastic thread mate well done for sticking with it. I know what it’s like to have tuning companies let you down and cost you big money. Would you recommend any special tools for the clutch and fly change?  as I’m doing it myself in the near future

Only basic tools needed really, I'd get a clutch alignment tool and flywheel locking tool though :)

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

My favourite SE by far!

What's next for the car Rob? 

I don't really know to be honest, definitely will be getting a new set of Bilstein B14 on it and a proper geo set-up but after that probably just abuse it around track lol

Will be getting a daily most likely as well as this is getting a bit much to use daily.