De-badge or not to de-badge that is the question?

I doubt you would notice the loss in power. A dyno could possibly show it up but even then the compressor is running all the time on a modern car even with the ac switched off?

Fair point, I missed the point I was trying to make, was thinking of saving weight by the possibility of junking the aircon entirely...

Anywho, back on topic, popped into my dealers and requested they take all but the winged arrow badges off prior to collection..

On this subject, am I the only vrs hatch owner that asked if the dealer knew anyone who wanted to swap boots for one with a spoiler? Wasn't allowed due to finance :(

Not a fan of spoilers and badges.

Be interesting to know if it serves any purpose unless you are on a track day.

Don't wait for me: Mine won't be built until mid Feb 15 ;-) I thought about plastidip in case it won't look good I can always go back.

Going to try out plasti dip on the badges today will post photos once done

On this subject, am I the only vrs hatch owner that asked if the dealer knew anyone who wanted to swap boots for one with a spoiler? Wasn't allowed due to finance :(

Not a fan of spoilers and badges.

Be interesting to know if it serves any purpose unless you are on a track day.

I read once that spoilers only come into effect over 90 m.p.h.

Richie Ginther "invented" it in the late 1950s when, during practice,  his Le Mans Ferrari was wandering all over the road due to lack of rear end down-force. Apparently he cut a bit of sheet aluminium into a strip and riveted to the rear end of the car, and it worked!!

Did you remove them or mask them up?

Edit - pix 3 and 4 show the rear badge, but one looks matt and the other shiny around the rim.  Is it a trick of the light or did you peel the edge back?

Edited by Smeghead

Did you remove them or mask them up?

Edit - pix 3 and 4 show the rear badge, but one looks matt and the other shiny around the rim. Is it a trick of the light or did you peel the edge back?

With the rear skoda emblem I ended up removing the plasti dip from the circular outline something different I thought.

Ok plasti dip all done, it came out pretty good considering it was the first time I've used this stuff. Need to redo the D though.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/roz4kul9p2miqb8/DSC_0048.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7d1p1p683iv6ipn/DSC_0049.JPG?dl=0

Waiting for the vrs to dry still...

Nice one :clap: . Works great on that colour. On a metal grey it might look weird, but I'll give it a try. How did you manage to mask it off properly? When I redid my badges on my Scirocco and had to take them off as I spraypainted them (the VW badge is a pain to mask off). But I'd prefer not to take them off on the Octy.

Ok plasti dip all done, it came out pretty good considering it was the first time I've used this stuff. Need to redo the D though.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/roz4kul9p2miqb8/DSC_0048.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7d1p1p683iv6ipn/DSC_0049.JPG?dl=0

Waiting for the vrs to dry still...

Hmmmm, you've made me think now. The roundels will be the only badges I will have on delivery, even more stealthy if I plasti dip them... That would leave the brake callipers and that's maybe a step too far, even for me...

Nice one :clap: . Works great on that colour. On a metal grey it might look weird, but I'll give it a try. How did you manage to mask it off properly? When I redid my badges on my Scirocco and had to take them off as I spraypainted them (the VW badge is a pain to mask off). But I'd prefer not to take them off on the Octy.

Basically used masking tape to outline the badge then taped newspaper all around, used a tooth pick to get in between letters. Going to try plasti dipping the wheels next.

This vid should help how to tape the badges of

How To Plasti Dip Your Emblems/Badges on Your Car…:

• Like 1

What about, instead, getting lots of odd badges and screwing them all over the car? We could have Bugatti, BOAC, Boy Scouts, Schooner Inn.................that'd fool 'em.

• Like 1