Long trip experiences

Had my first long trip this weekend. Oslo to Copenhagen.

So I had some new experiences with my 1.8 TSI 4x4, DSG, Estate elegance.

On the first part of the trip I had 0.66 l/10km. But then it started to rain and I ended up with 0.74. I have winters on, but didn't know rain increased the fuel usage so much.

And ACC, love it.

Regularly do Derby Amsterdam via eurotunnel.

Pretty much 500 miles and 7-8 hours including crossing. Best car I have owned for mile munching very comfortable . The boot is amazing for bringing beer back from Belgium. 16 crates last trip with space for more. The 2.0 engine is great. Still pulls well with a full load and returned high 40s crusing at 80+ for most of the trip back. Easily capable of 65 plus. If you have the time :).

To say I'm delighted with my first skoda is an understatement.

Edited by Stuski

Rain increases drag as it makes the body "sticky" for the passing air. Also, the air / water mix is thicker to pass through at speed and also do you know if you were heading into the wind as that makes a huge difference.

A head wind on the motor way can drop your MPG or Ltrs/KMS by a good 20% where as a tail wind will do the opposite (but to a lesser extent). Also, early evening drives (or is it mid day when its hottest... damn my memory), whatever, when the air is thinnest drag is reduced and you can notice it. 

Combine all of those things and the same drive in a variety of conditions / times of day / temps will all return different fuel usages. Also, dont forget that lights and wipers / and aircon heaters if it were colder / to help demist all add load to the engine as well. 

Its a proper lottery as to what readings you will get everyday. Keep your eyes open and you may notice if you are travelling into the wind / away from it. It is probably the biggest factor.

Finally, at 1900kms, your's isn't remotely run in yet. My 2.0ltr diesel is still steadily improving its mpg at 6000miles now. At one point I thought I'd been had by the dealer and bought a right lemon as the MPG return was pretty poor. Now she is nearing what I expected so am much happier. Keep a monthly mileage per fill up tally on a bit of paper behind your sun visor and be amazed at the change over a year. I fill up 30ltrs at a time and have seen a near 60mile improvement since May. 

Rain increases drag as it makes the body "sticky" for the passing air. Also, the air / water mix is thicker to pass through at speed and also do you know if you were heading into the wind as that makes a huge difference.

A head wind on the motor way can drop your MPG or Ltrs/KMS by a good 20% where as a tail wind will do the opposite (but to a lesser extent). Also, early evening drives (or is it mid day when its hottest... damn my memory), whatever, when the air is thinnest drag is reduced and you can notice it. 

Combine all of those things and the same drive in a variety of conditions / times of day / temps will all return different fuel usages. Also, dont forget that lights and wipers / and aircon heaters if it were colder / to help demist all add load to the engine as well. 

Its a proper lottery as to what readings you will get everyday. Keep your eyes open and you may notice if you are travelling into the wind / away from it. It is probably the biggest factor.

Finally, at 1900kms, your's isn't remotely run in yet. My 2.0ltr diesel is still steadily improving its mpg at 6000miles now. At one point I thought I'd been had by the dealer and bought a right lemon as the MPG return was pretty poor. Now she is nearing what I expected so am much happier. Keep a monthly mileage per fill up tally on a bit of paper behind your sun visor and be amazed at the change over a year. I fill up 30ltrs at a time and have seen a near 60mile improvement since May. 

I do not think the increased drag from rain drops is such a big factor on a car, although it does not help.

On a glider which is all about aerodynamics that is certainly true but the relatively poor aero on cars will not be affected as much. Personally I think the extra rolling resistance for tyres travelling on wet roads is what you are really feeling.

But combine all the factors you mention that occur with wet weather and yes the overall affect can be significant.

A hot day reduces air density, reducing drag, also reduces the amount of air in the cylinders and the amount of fuel injected.so better economy. Cold air intakes can certainly improve overall power but can have a detrimental effect on fuel economy.

I also think that adverse conditions will have more effect on a petrol than a diesel, as does speed. I suspect that Stianol was not hanging about either.

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Like 1

Quite regularly undertake a near 600 mile round trip commute for work and the 2.0 Elegance serves me well.

Its comfortable and an easy place to cover distance, even with a manual box (the shift quality for an ordinary car is actually rather nice).

My only criticisms....the Elegance seats lack side and thigh support...also the lumbar support isnt brilliant. I feel they do nothing for my already not great posture on a long run. Also the pedals are a bit offset...not sure why but after a long run my right knee does start to ache...used to get the same in my Mk6 Golf but not so much in my old DSG equipped Fabia and Mk2 Octavia vRS's

Edited by pipsyp

I concur. Did a 2500 mile round trip to sud de france back in September and ACC was a real asset. The car just ate up the miles with very little fatigue at the end. Because the autoroutes aren't lit down south, you could really see how good the Xenons on the vRS are too.

It was also our first trip with a roof box. Even after purchasing the most aerodynamic roof bars and roof box I could afford, there was a 5-6MPG hit but thankfully hardly any wind noise. 

I enjoyed the road trip so much we're doing it again in the summer. 

What I really liked with ACC was that when you put on the direction lights (not sure what you call the blinking lights in english) to overtake, the car begins to accelerate even before changing lane.

I've had my car for 7 days and already at 1500 miles. 2 day drive to Czech (1 hour East of Brno) for Christmas and averaged 53 mpg with the last 250 miles at 55 mpg at an indicated average speed of 73 mph. 4 in car with luggage and Christmas presents. Spent most of the time at 84mph (indicated) with a few bursts to max speed and not too many roadworks.

Interesting to try different modes. Stayed mostly in Eco with sport setting for steering, then flicking gearstick into sports(auto) or using paddles when needed. Also interesting on sone long downhill sections use the DSG coasting function as the pre coasting speed did not seem to rise. Interesting to be able to choose another level of retardation.

Pity stop start doesn't work in Drive and using handbrake like on the new Mercedes B Class but not such a big deal to put it into Park rather than sit with foot on brake.

Impressed with quietness and response of new Goodyear Ultra grip 205/55/16 winter tyres.

Might even get a white Christmas as tomorrow as we are off to Nove Losiny in the Jeseniky mountains and snow is forecast.

Edited by Adamus