OK, so today I decided to install my new dash cam. The process of doing so is pretty straight forward, or so I assumed it would be. I mounted it, guided the cable around the trims to the access beside the glove box before I hit an annoying issue. I couldn't for the life of me get the glove box out to access the fuses.

I removed the retaining clip but the last step as per the manual. However after this it is clear as mud. I was using quite a bit of force and still it didn't seem to be moving out of the position. Just seems to be stuck in place.

Can anyone guide me through what's required to get the infernal thing out before I break it?

Or if anyone has seen or can make a video to post to youtube it would be a big help. I'm just worried I'm going a bit to heavy handed getting mine off before I try for round 2 in the morning.

The first time you remove it....especially in this cold weather it is very tight. In the summer when everything is warm it's quite easy 

Is it literally as per no5 in the image below of lifting it up and out towards the passenger seat and then more upwards as it comes free?

B5E-0475.jpg

http://ws.skoda-auto.com/OwnersManualService/Data/en/Octavia_5E/11-2014/Manual/Octavia/online/images/B5E-0475.jpg

Edited by Astec123

I found it hard as the instructions were very poor.  In fact it's easy.  Open the lid just about 1/2 way (maybe a little more) then pull it upwards. I'll go and film it now.  Be on Youtube in about 30 mins.

Edit: Hmmmm. OK, done but the video is 257MB so I need to compress it. Might take a little while!

Edited by Smeghead
  • Like 1

I found it hard as the instructions were very poor.  In fact it's easy.  Open the lid just about 1/2 way (maybe a little more) then pull it upwards. I'll go and film it now.  Be on Youtube in about 30 mins.

Edit: Hmmmm. OK, done but the video is 257MB so I need to compress it. Might take a little while!

Thanks for that. I will look forward to managing to get the blasted thing out tomorrow now. I was dreading spending ages in the cold on just that task without wiring in the kit. If youtube is no good then anywhere else is fine.

Just updating now.  should be on within the hour (I hope).  It was cold and dark and done with a torch so if not clear I can redo in daylight.

As it happens, it's worth being able to do in the dark as you never know when you might need to change a fuse.

Re: James' post, don't be coy. It needs a good hard tug!

Just updating now.  should be on within the hour (I hope).  It was cold and dark and done with a torch so if not clear I can redo in daylight.

As it happens, it's worth being able to do in the dark as you never know when you might need to change a fuse.

Re: James' post, don't be coy. It needs a good hard tug!

So long as I can see it being done I'll be more keen to do it tomorrow.

None the less, I think I'll create a Skoda Wiki and collate some of the information about the O3 together as I've been thinking about doing it for a while. While the forums are good, I think a wiki would be even more useful for "how to" guides and information of bits to buy and how to fit them.

No worries.  I'll do it again tomorrow in daylight if I can.  It was quite hard holding the torch while trying to make sure the camera was pointing more or less the right way and, at the same time, pull the thing out and refit it.

Success has been had, can put it in and out without issue now. However discovered I needed some electricians tape as I've run out after getting nearly everything plugged into the right spots. I drive out to the local B&Q at the retail park to discover traffic hell. I gave up after 10minutes. So the dashcam will now need to wait at least at week to be installed. GRRRRRRR

• Like 1

Good news (apart from the B&Q bit....our one had a huge queue to get into the car park earlier today too).

Did you remount the damper? It's the fiddliest bit.  I redid the video this afternoon to include the damper.  I'm getting the hang of that bit too now.

Now it's excuse time..... I used a Mobius camera which has no display so I was kind of running blind.  There are bits that I thought I'd got which I didn't, but if you watch all the way through it's fairly obvious which hole the screwdriver needs to go into, to release the damper.  It's nothing like as good as a Richpin video but it should do the job OK.

Anyway... here it is....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIMi9isDrX0

Edited by Smeghead
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 years later...
5 hours ago, brian62c said:

Best video I've seen is by Chris Horswill - changing a pollen/cabin filter (which also means removing the glovebox). Very clear, lots of detail and well explained.

Yes, that is so much clearer, but what a faff.

• Like 1

Useful video guide. Did my pollen filter (Fram CFA11643) today,had the box out in seconds after seeing how to with the video. Putting it back in was bit more fiddly with getting the damper clip located and pushed down but all in no more than a 5 minute job to change the filter.

Edited by hatchy
  • Like 1