wiring diagrams

These type of sensors generaly only run on 5v so if you've be seeing around 5v and expecting 12v don't worry it's fine... between 4.5 and 5.5 is acceptable .... But could be different with different manufacturers ..... What's the problem your experienceing ??

yep there both ok then reciveing around 5v so your power is fine from both ecus you have tryed so its either a earth fault which needs to be checked with voltage as you still can see contuniity in a faulty ciurcuit .... or a faulty signal wire back to the ecu which i take your car wont run so you would only be able to check when cranking so the best way it check that would be a scope reading using vcds or simular diag software ... you can also manually check it by checking the voltage the voltage when cranking depending on your meter it should pick up a voltage reading if its a pound shop meter (no offence) it might not be quick enought to show a voltage reading so thats where to old test bulb will need to come out to check it hope this helps a little

its not a pound shop one its a mid range multimeter lol but i understand your point ( no offence taken ) the engine does run off just the crank sensor but it takes a while to start off just one sensor .... the wire from the fuse box shows a solid 5 volts whether running or with ignition on...... the signal wire does regester a volt reading of around 4.5 and the earth goes through the ecu also ....

would it be acceptable to splice the wire or use a scotch lock to run a wire from the sensor earth to the battery to rule out the earth being bad even with it going through the ecu?

or is there a different way of doing this or something i should do first?

Edited by Holmesie

Ok and no I wouldn't say its a good idea scotching into it ..... To check you've got a good Earth on that wire I would take a voltage reading from the battery so say 12.1v .... Then put the negative wire from your meter on your sensor earth wire and the power wire to the battery power if you have a good earth so should see your given battery voltage with a max drop of 1.5v anymore and you'll be looking at a high resistance some where ..... Make sure the circuit is complete ie all plugged in

No sure what your voltage should be on your signal wire only skoda can tell you that .... I'd say 2v at idle is about right tho only thing you can check on that is weather the voltage changes with the revs .... And you say you've got 2v where's that at take a reading at the sensor then trace the wire back to the ecu and see if you've still got the same voltage at that end of the wire going into the ecu .....

The cam position sensor is a hall effect device, you should have a small AC voltage coming from it once the engine is running, something like 0.5V AC.

The three pins are:

Pin 1 (blue/black wire)  +12V

Pin 2 (white/yellow wire) AC Signal to pin 109 on the 40 pin connector at the ECU

Pin 3 (brown/blue wire) -12V to pin 101 on the 40 pin connector at the ECU

Set your multimeter to AC V and measure the output from the middle pin of the sensor, also check it at the ECU end to eliminate a wiring fault, you can do this easily by pushing a fine sewing needle through the insulation of the wire and measuring from that.

For the benefit of those who see "HALL EFFECT" , and get baffled. A Hall effect device is a small semiconductor device that acts as a switch in the presence of a magnetic field. ( very basic idea of working).  For more detail see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_effect_sensor.