TommyH's GTB-powered mk1 vRS

TommyH

Seeing as I've had it a year now, I've decided to start a project thread for my car. Currently the main changes to the car are a Stage 1 Shark map, EGR delete and 312mm brakes

The car has been in the family from new, I've had it roughly a year now. It's my second stint with the car, I learned to drive in it and drove it for a couple of years before getting myself a newer (and significantly worse) mk3 Clio.

Here are the two together shortly after I got the Fabia:

IMG_0726_zps83cfebde.jpg

It'll probably take a little while to catch up with all the little things I've changed over the last year but I'll post them up as and when I can.

First change was to get rid of the tatty old, rust-stained number plates. From this:

IMG_0720_zps7176e7cf.jpg

IMG_0724_zpsb2949ba6.jpg

Had to drill the screw out of the back one as it had literally fallen apart. Turned from a very simple job into a right pain in the arse

IMG_0722_zps4db67247.jpg

This was the final result, plate surround on the back was from Creations Motorsports. Looks much better IMO

IMG_0723_zpsf6770548.jpg

Just realised, number plates weren't actually the first thing I changed. It was this cheapo Kenwood radio. Does a job but I'm looking for something better.

IMG_0679_zps543c78d3.jpg

Worked properly after I switched these cables. Turns out the live and the constant wires are backwards on VAG cars in case anyone was wondering why their car keeps forgetting what stations you like. Mine decided to revert to demo mode constantly until I realised what was wrong.

IMG_0677_zps028cafae.jpg

The first big job that needed sorting out was the brakes. All discs and pads needed changing so I took the opportunity to uprate the front brakes to 312mm from an Audi TT. I got myself a set of calipers and carriers on eBay, front discs from ECP, Brembo pads all round and Brembo rear discs.

01a353f80b99d11f04b580ba3fcfc59b4b362623

These are all the parts once I'd sourced them, took them to John Roberts Garage in Llay near Wrexham to be fitted. I'm not the most experienced with spanners so unfortunately had to pay someone to do the job for me. Changed the brake fluid at the same time to make sure everything went as smooth as possible. Quite honestly I don't think the 312mm brakes are that much better than standard, a bit better yeah but its not a massive transformation

01409407dce16bd2316df5f552ab83238fb51d5f

016ad9c9522dec542b4f768312ab272396300922

They do look good behind the standard 16s, not a lot of space behind there now. Please excuse the state of the wheel and quality of tyre, neither are my doing

• Like 1

After this, I picked a weekend in about March to make a few little changes. A trip to Awesome GTI to get myself an LCR splitter. Also decided to paint the grille surround black and take off the bump-strip things off the doors.

IMG_0809_zps8ac32da2.jpg

Can basically see all of them in this picture. Taking off the side strips is a total nightmare, took ages to get all the glue off the doors. I do like how the doors look now, I can see why you'd leave them on though

312mm brakes was one of the best things I did to my car mate!

Get Brembos up front now :)

Yeah they are good but I just didn't think it was like a massive change, I'm sure Brembos would be more of a dramatic transformation

Maybe its just cause my car was too slow haha, was literally totally standard when I did it

bet they have got some serious stopping power. Liking the black grille surround. is the chrome easy to paint?

Wasn't too hard. I got some etching primer, matt black spray paint and some clear lacquer. I took my time with it and did like 3 or 4 coats of each. It does stone chip (got the first one the other day) but it's holding up quite well apart from that

Next thing to change was one of the better ones I've done so far. Most people will probably think it's totally unoriginal but personally I think the best wheels on a fabia are 17" Spiders so it was always a plan to get some fitted. As luck would have it Alex_e3 had just decided to put his car back to standard so I snapped up the ones he was selling. Even had my pink spoiler machined polished while we were swapping the wheels over.

Here's a few from that day. Even a sneaky one of Alex, I know how much he likes to have his photo taken on the sly  :D

Before...

0195fbf3bfba2db88d67d3c1a20b96916565f48b

After...

01998584e24e894d92b104407bffb26f6e3ccc25

I know it looks like it's riding on stilts (unfortunately it still is  :| ) but the wheels are an improvement IMO

Here's the obligatory half and half spoiler shot...

013eb39609bce67d8e8ffbd0817f696877ce14fc

And a sly one, especially for Alex  :D

01ed05ec687f0df61fe1517ae0586b86ff9540ec

Not a lot happened for about 6 months, as a student I had to forget about the car and write a dissertation apparently. 

I spend a fair amount of time cleaning my car, tried out a few differnet cleaning products. Few shiny photos...

01b2de4eae27e6d681f102be4bd6ea24810d193b

010d0d765f3dba2149968da9927967bc3f80a8bb

01cea99d871747c045f899f9b8e8cd917243b131

Best mod I've done so far is the stage 1 map. My EGR was leaking oil all over the place so I deleted this with a kit from Joel's group buy and took the car down to Ant at AP in Telford. He put a Shark map on for me. On the whole I was very impressed, great service from Ant and the map really is a massive improvement over standard. Had a great time driving the 50 miles or so back from Telford. I also have the peace of mind that it's (relatively) sympathetic on the engine components.

Here's the EGR delete fitted...

01432f0dab4b47dab28a1f7670bb8bd092797809

Decided to rep AP Automotive for a little while, I'm sure Ant will be pleased...

017ab559141030f65152d6bdd5a36836c68d205f

I also had a go of the S2000 air filter mod, Ordered what I thought was a red one and got this ghastly monster. I tried it anyway and the noise is quite cool but the car felt a bit sluggish so I took it off after about 2 weeks. Might try and get a better looking one on there eventually. If anyone likes the blue one, PM me I'll consider offers  :D

01ca256dd165fb9ae948e4f5c29016388e8c22eb

• Like 1

A mod I'm really happy with is my headlights. Not too fussed about xenons for the money the cost etc so I wanted some Depo lights with the black mask. Conveniently Alex happened to be selling a set of these as well. Quick couple of texts and I was on my way to get some new lights on the car. Here's the 50/50 shot...

015f6c9cdfadcc0f83afa46244767aad6cd93311

This is roughly where I'm up to now. The turbo has been sirening at me for a few weeks so I've been slowly gathering parts for the last month or so. I foolishly had a go in Alex's car (http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/324414-alexs-red-mk1-fabia-vrs-gtb2260vk-ex-hybrid/) and decided that a GTB was a good idea. As a result I've ordered a GTB1756 from xman750 which was delivered Christmas Eve; aka the perfect Christmas present to myself

01dabdd3fa6bb588aeb236982d973675c6475468

I've got hold of a Piper decat downpipe from Rob@W8Performance which arrived to me via most of the other houses in my street  :D  Rob will know what I'm on about

This brings me to today, came home from work to a large box which contained this... (the cooler, not the cat)

0150da32c9611929642c4dc48a0b5ffaf236308b

It's a very nice looking piece of kit - cheers again to Rob for the swift delivery and great price

• Like 2

Nice car you have there Tommy! Wish I got a red one! Soon to be for red fabias running big power with gtb setups in Wales, shame dans selling up.

Nice build tho I look forward to updates :)

Oh great... more sneaky pictures of me...!   :peek:  :o

Good move you've made with the 1756. I'm pleased I managed to talk you out of a hybrid! Or should I say that my car managed to... ;)

There's becoming loads of fast red ones in North Wales Paul!!

• Like 1

Oh great... more sneaky pictures of me...!   :peek:  :o

Good move you've made with the 1756. I'm pleased I managed to talk you out of a hybrid! Or should I say that my car managed to... ;)

There's becoming loads of fast red ones in North Wales Paul!!

Yeah your car managed to haha!

Can't wait to get all the parts fitted they're just sitting in a massive pile at home

Got stuff delivered to do elephant mod, I took off the top boost pipe the other night and it was like dripping with oil it was horrible so hopefully I can sort that. Got the pd150 headbolts as well for when the turbo goes on. Oh and an Ibiza crash bar, I don't particularly want to modify the standard one or run without one so hopefully it fits straight over the Airtec but if not I can mess with that one and keep the standard one as it is in case I ever decide to put it back on

Too many, one less soon I hope ;)

Should stay the same amount, mine isn't yet GTB but yours is still here. Then mine's going big turbo and yours is getting sold so 3 will stay 3 unless yours stays local. Maybe we should have a mini-meet that you can only go to if you have a red mk1 GTB powered fabia vrs and live in N.Wales haha! After my turbo is fitted but before you sell yours on obviously

• Like 1

We should have a 1756 meet. Alex you're not welcome ;)

My cars up for sale on facebook but I'm considering removing some of the easier modifications :)

heads up on any bits you remove please, ideally the brakes for my new Fabia :)