Puncture kit

edbostan

As with many new cars the spare wheel is of the past. I have got one of these squirty things which inflates the tyre and blocks holes of 4mm or less.

Has anyone used this and been successful doing it and have they got home?

regards

I have not used a goo can myself but the general opinion seems to be that they work - providing the puncture is simple (e.g. a direct hit by a small nail).

The goo can will not work on a cut in the tyre, nor will it work on sidewall damage (e.g. pothole).

After using the goo can, the tyre effectively becomes scrap as it seems it cannot later be repaired by conventional means.

For these reasons and more, I prefer to carry a spare wheel - which I *know* will get me home.

I've never had a puncture that they could have 'fixed'. Along with the extra cost that you then have to replace both the tyre and the gunk, plus the range of things it's useless against (cuts/splits, sidewall damage, any damage to the rim) and its a nobrainer to have a proper spare wheel.

It's just a cheap and nasty cost cutting measure (and revenue generator) that also lets them fiddle the emissions by saving a little weight.

No experience, but I'm led to believe they also render the tyre unusable.

The recommended procedure is to try to inflate the tyre with the compressor.  If it inflates then drive at reduced speed keeping an eye on the pressure until it is fixed.  If it takes more than some minutes (10?) to re-inflate then the hole is too big and the tyre is not repairable anyway.  At that point you use the sealant.

So yes the sealant renders the tyre scrap - but if you used it only when necessary the tyre was scrap anyway.  What you mustn't do is use the sealant before trying to re-inflate the tyre.

I've had one puncture in the 5yrs where I have had no spare - I got to the repair centre without using the sealant and got a repair done.

Biggest issue with the sealant is if you have a real late night blowout that even the sealant can't fix, you are stuck!

The pidgin manual says to replace the valve core with the one supplied. Why does the valve core needs to be replaced? Also I presume if the valve is at the bottom air would be prevented from being pumped into the tyre. Not a mention of that in the manual.

• 4 weeks later...

Roberto 1954

Where about are you located because I could do with buying a spare wheel.

What outside diameter are they just to make sure they will fit in the spare wheel well as againsts a space saver

I'm in West Midlands.

thanks

Hugs - I can say with some certainty that Roberto's alloys will fit the spare wheel well in your Roomster.  His wheels/tyres are almost certainly the same size as yours i.e. 195/55 R15.

Shortly after buying my Scout (205/45 R16) I purchased a full size alloy wheel to replace the original space-saver steel spare 195/55 R15.  Despite the extra width of the Scout wheel/tyre, it fitted the well perfectly.

Roberto 1954

Where about are you located because I could do with buying a spare wheel.

What outside diameter are they just to make sure they will fit in the spare wheel well as againsts a space saver

I'm in West Midlands.

thanks

Have a look at this.

£40 with free delivery for an alloy + tyre off of a 1.4 2009 roomster being broken for parts

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-ROOMSTER-2009-1-4-PETROL-SIZE-15-ALLOY-WHEEL-/121567926008