occasional heavy steering

Since my aux belt snapped I have a problem with my steering being heavier and sometimes on starting I have no power steering so I have to wait give it a few revs to get it working.

There's no lights, nothing on vcds, battery is fine, alternator is working as should (both tested at a local garage). I don't get the battery light on ignition though, read this could be down to my esp wires being snapped though?

I've read that it could be a loose lead from the alt? I know where the alt is but any tips on wires I should be paying extra attention to? Or it could be fluid levels? Where do I find the power steering pot?

Thanks in advance!

Best to plug in to VCDS but when this started happening to me it was the angle sensor starting to get/see crazy signals.  New one needed.  

Steering pot (at least the lid) is underneath the battery box.  Probably easiest to remove battery and box and then you can "dipstick" the PAS reversoir - Has a green lid.

Best to plug in to VCDS but when this started happening to me it was the angle sensor starting to get/see crazy signals. New one needed.

Steering pot (at least the lid) is underneath the battery box. Probably easiest to remove battery and box and then you can "dipstick" the PAS reversoir - Has a green lid.

Had it on vcds and nothing on there about PAS, only about the lack of egr, asv and a broke fuel temp sensor also abs Load signal error message.

Car was sweet before the belt snapped.

Can't see why you would lose fluid out the system with the belt snapping.  It does suggest electrical gremlin has crept in.  Are you absolutely sure the battery is OK?  The power steering pump is a serious juice guzzler and is usually the first thing to moan when the car's operating voltage dips below optimum.  :)

Hi, have you checked the central body module for codes as it could be the smart charge altonater, it could be loosing charge and I've seen the clutch on the end of it seize up and give faults, I'm not saying this is it but might be worth checking

Hi, have you checked the central body module for codes as it could be the smart charge altonater, it could be loosing charge and I've seen the clutch on the end of it seize up and give faults, I'm not saying this is it but might be worth checking

This done with VCDS?

Just asked the lad who tested it... battery was fine, the alt measured under until the throttle was blipped and as he says 'woke it up'

Alternator shouldn't need to 'wake up' it should be producing 14.4V from the off, sounds like the load sensor wire may be broken.

Alternator shouldn't need to 'wake up' it should be producing 14.4V from the off, sounds like the load sensor wire may be broken.

Asr light constantly on? No battery light on start up? 2 wires on the gearbox snapped?

My answer is yes to them if that's the load sensor wire...

Thing is though all was fine never had this problem until the aux belt snapped

If you have no battery light with ignition on then the problem is definitely the load sensor wires!

Basically the power steering pump is kicking in and trying to draw a load of amps. Normally the ECU then tells the alternator to chuck some more power out to compensate but that isn't happening so the pump isn't getting the power it needs- so steering goes heavy.

Had exactly the same problem in my Cordoba PD130. Fixed the wires and all was sorted!

If the load sensor wire is broken then it might exhibit this behaviour.

The load sensor wire is just that. It basically controls how much the alternator needs to output based on electrical load. If the alternator isn't getting this signal it kind of defaults to a basic output (low) that gets a bit higher with some revs.

Plus yes it will output 14v all the time but if there's no amperage being kicked out it's no good.

My 04' fabia vrs does the same thing from a cold start, when you first start it there will be no P/Steering, and sometimes the power steering light comes on dash but as soon as I rev it above 1500rpm everything works as normal again, as above like the alternator has started charging the battery. Can this be the same problem with this load wire broken? 

If so, I seen above it runs along the gear box, is it easy seen? 

mike.

If you have no battery light with ignition on then the problem is definitely the load sensor wires!

Basically the power steering pump is kicking in and trying to draw a load of amps. Normally the ECU then tells the alternator to chuck some more power out to compensate but that isn't happening so the pump isn't getting the power it needs- so steering goes heavy.

Had exactly the same problem in my Cordoba PD130. Fixed the wires and all was sorted!

The load sensor wire is just that. It basically controls how much the alternator needs to output based on electrical load. If the alternator isn't getting this signal it kind of defaults to a basic output (low) that gets a bit higher with some revs.

Plus yes it will output 14v all the time but if there's no amperage being kicked out it's no good.

Thanks pal!

Can't work out if you're agreeing with me or not, you seem to be repeating what I said but quoting me then repeating what I said is just confusing.

Asr light constantly on? No battery light on start up? 2 wires on the gearbox snapped?

My answer is yes to them if that's the load sensor wire...

Thing is though all was fine never had this problem until the aux belt snapped

Mend the broken wires and go from there. No point in speculating about why you didn't notice a fault before. Maybe it was there before, maybe it wasn't. Fix it and it won't be there any more. (It could be that you also have worn-out alternator brushes, but fix the known fault first)

:thumbup: