RNS510 update

mikeyfraser20

Right...

There's a setting to change the branding from Seat to Skoda or VW, so it's based on the same hardware. There's also a setting to disable the SD card. So I presume the Seat Media System is just an RNS510 with Seat branding, SD card disabled, and a fascia without the slot for the SD card to fit in.

If you've just bought it then the part number on it would be worth knowing, then I can cross reference that with Etka and see exactly what it is.

• Like 2

The part number is 5P0035680A. No it has been fitted since new I'm guessing. I've only owned the car since July 2013.

Okay then I wouldn't be bothered if it came up with vw or skoda. As along as it works and is up to date. I would need to check behind it.

The part number for that unit relates to fitting in the Altea 2007 - 2010, the Leon 2006 - 2010, and the Toledo 2005 - 2009.

I would think therefore that the unit is an old LCD screened one, and updating should be done "thoughtfully" as there are possible issues with the older ones and updating. It should be okay to update, but I don't know for certain. It might be that once updated it tried to find the SD card reader (for example) and throws a fit when it isn't found.

Maybe there is an SD card reader. If the fascia simply blocks the slot off then the taking apart Mikey mentioned is possibly taking off the fascia to get to the SD card reader on the HDD? That means firmware updates might not throw a wobbly. It is fairly easy to take off the fascia and look. You could then look for a new fascia?

No, as I said I've not had anything to do with them. If it were mine then I would be updating the maps and leave well alone with the firmware, unless you're happy to throw the unit away if the update goes wrong in any way. Quite what might go wrong I have no idea, it could very easily update with standard VW firmware and stay functional as it is at the moment. But it might kill it.

Maybe there is an SD card reader. If the fascia simply blocks the slot off then the taking apart Mikey mentioned is possibly taking off the fascia to get to the SD card reader on the HDD? That means firmware updates might not throw a wobbly. It is fairly easy to take off the fascia and look. You could then look for a new fascia?

To get to where the SD card would be, you need to dismantle the front screen, pcb, and what have you to get to where it fits into the rear of the plastic fascia. If it's inside and not connected to the fascia then it must be mounted somewhere else. I dunno without looking inside really.

There is no sd slot in behind the fascia. Okay then I've had a company called SATNAV say they can update it all inc maps for £90 plus postage to send it to them.

I'd do that IMO.

Try a company called 'Hazzy Dayz' first though. They come recommended by a few on here who have used them.

To get to where the SD card would be, you need to dismantle the front screen, pcb, and what have you to get to where it fits into the rear of the plastic fascia. If it's inside and not connected to the fascia then it must be mounted somewhere else. I dunno without looking inside really.

Fair enough. Useful to know thanks.