SideLight Bulbs

I didn't read the skoda manual but I checked various bulb sites :D  My bad.  I'll take them back and order the right ones :D

It's sides I'm trying to replace.  Strangely, I can't see that the bulbs have popped, and both are out.  More likely a fuse?

Hang on, doing more reading. Is it true that these side light bulbs are meant to not work if I have DRLs on my FL vRS??

Edited by planehazza

And the Darwin award goes to... MOI!! :

Haha I feel so stupid.  But at least now I know how to remove the headlight sections! :D

Got to laugh at oneself now and again :D

Edited by planehazza

As above, the W5W side lights in the headlights aren't wired up on the vRS.

The LED DRL's above the front fog lights dim to perform the role of side lights.

The Octavia has an on-board warning system for blown bulbs. If any bulb blows (excluding the number plate lights and 4x 3W rear marker lights) you'll get an amber warning light appear on the dash.

• Like 1

As above, the W5W side lights in the headlights aren't wired up on the vRS.

The LED DRL's above the front fog lights dim to perform the role of side lights.

The Octavia has an on-board warning system for blown bulbs. If any bulb blows (excluding the number plate lights and 4x 3W rear marker lights) you'll get an amber warning light appear on the dash.

Ah thanks.  My first thought was that it was odd that I had no warning, but then I remembered that the non maxidot display doesn't give me error codes.  On my vauxhalls, failed bulbs just reported as error codes so I just assumed on this car I'd have no indication that they had failed.  My bad! :D

That's what this forum is for - to ask questions, we've all been in the same position as you!

Maxidot gets the amber warning light and a message on the display identifying the bulb at fault.

Non-Maxidot gets the amber warning light on the dash, although you have to check for yourself which bulb has failed.

The amber bulb out warning light came up on my parents' 59 plate Octavia when 1 of their tail light bulbs went out, and I have had a 62 plate Caddy on hire with a number plate light blowing on a journey activating the yellow warning light bulb, so if any bulb goes it activates the warning light. 

• 11 months later...

I have this function on a 2012 octavia vrs. Yes the 501 front side lights are not wired up but cable is present on the bulb holders. I don't like the fact that the drl goes dim when side lights are on. Can the non working 501 be wired or connected so they work? At least we could put led ones in. At dusk the drls are poor and I would like some side lighting at the headlamps.

There is a wire to the bulb holder as it's the same headlight unit on the non vrs. However, there is no wire from the headlight to the BCM to power the sidelight. I posted a couple of options here if you really want to try and being them working: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/383289-drls-and-sidelights/?fromsearch=1

In what way are the dimmed DRL poor at dusk? They are only fitted to give an idea of the cars width for other road users and are just as effective as the headlight based sidelights for this.

Personally I never run on just sidelights, it's either DRL or dipped beams.