Disabling LED lights by rear view mirror

KBPhoto

We've established that Yetis with sunroofs should not have these lights on. The question is, what is different? Are the LEDs not fitted? Are they not switched on? Or something else?

If they are present, but not active, is this a coding thing (VCDS can't do it) or a hardware difference?

Can the dealer system just switch the off?

OFGS! ... Then we can get back to working for world peace....

There's a contradiction in attitudes!

You don't have to read these threads and post comments!

• Like 3

I was happy to read the thread at first,  and share in a debate about how to solve someone's problem;  but we are now up to more than fifty posts,  many of which offer simple solutions,  but still we're banging on about it.  I know I'm getting impatient in my old age,  but really...lets keep some sense of proportion!  

We've established that Yetis with sunroofs should not have these lights on. The question is, what is different? Are the LEDs not fitted? Are they not switched on? Or something else?

If they are present, but not active, is this a coding thing (VCDS can't do it) or a hardware difference?

Can the dealer system just switch the off?

Yes they are present in the unit.

No they are not lit.

After that, haven't a clue.

Yes they are present in the unit.

No they are not lit.

After that, haven't a clue.

Thank you Graham.

I'm hoping someone does know whether it is possible to disable them, as opposed to sticking bluetac on my car (which I'm rather partial about).

Since you took the trouble to point that out, I shall clarify it further. I made my mind up before the thread started!

I didn't like them and want them turned off or pointing so they don't shine on the mirror!

As the latter isn't possible due to the depth of the recess (I've checked), then I shall explore the former.

What I haven't got yet is a sensible answer as to how to achieve this given that they are not supposed to be on with a sunroof fitted.

If anyone with the new variation on VCDS could check if it is there as as option, I'd appreciate it. Or anyone with access to the dealer system.

PS: A lot has happened in the past 12 months to distract me from the car and these LEDs being something to bother my mind with!

I think the last time this topic was raised was in Feb. 2014 posted by "Gyp" under the title:-

"Knob illumination"

Where's Bobdog when you need him??

One suggestion then was "don't drive after dark".

Edited by Liobian

Hi KB, it seems Skoda make slight variations to their cars to give us owners something to talk about.

I've always wanted my interior mirror higher, problem is no can do. Even after a new screen fitted.

I've got the sunroof fitted and the 2 led lights work.

As has been mentioned countless times before it isn't only a factor of having the sunroof fitted that dictates if the cats eyes are (normally) working or not - it depends on the mirror type (with or without auto light/rain sensor) and the type of roof switch panel (type of alarm).

In my experience (TIBET x3) a sunroof, auto light sensor/mirror and standard UK spec alarm/switch panel doesn't have functioning cats eyes.

So does thingy have exactly the same set up as you, KB?

Mine have all looked like this:

201002050067.jpg

OIciQX.jpg

Edited by aerofurb

Aerofurb: I appreciate your posts (many times), so thank you again.

Mine looks just like yours: sunroof, light sensor in mirror & alarm. But also functioning Cats Eyes.

Knowing how many transferable components Skoda/VAG have, I'd be surprised if mine 'accidentally' got fitted with the wrong part (with functioning Cats Eyes) which is why I suspect that it is a coding issue from the factory.

I know it has been raised several times, but there has never been a justified explanation or proper solution (as far as I am aware).

KB, I was pointing out (not very well!) that having non-functioning (or functioning in your case!) isn't just a factor of having a sunroof but the mirror with light/rain sensor incorporated, as well as what appears to be the standard UK spec alarm/sunroof switch panel.

Edited by aerofurb

I know not relevant or helpful as I don't have a sunroof but I'm pretty sure my lights are towards the back of the panel and so well away from the mirror.

Given that the panel is so different to incorporate the sunroof control it makes you wonder why they even included the LEDs at all, unless as you say it is used on another group model and the position of the mirror is such that it doesn't cause a problem. 

Edited by VAGCF

Hi KB, no the LED's don't shine on my mirror as it's mounted lower than in 'aerofurbs' picture.

Do you have sunroof, alarm AND rain/light sensor fitted?

Hi KB, yes I have the sunroof, but no rain sensor.

I do not have auto lights, as per light switch.

My instrument lights do dim going into a tunnel if I don't switch on main driving lights.

I presume I have the alarm fitted as all Yeti's do.

Hi KB, yes I have the sunroof, but no rain sensor.

I do not have auto lights, as per light switch.

My instrument lights do dim going into a tunnel if I don't switch on main driving lights.

I presume I have the alarm fitted as all Yeti's do.

The higher positioned mirror goes with having auto-lights and the rain sensor.

All Yeti dash lights go dim if it is dark, as a warning for you to turn the headlights on.