Octavia vrs petrol - towbar / high mileage - advice pls

Hey folks,

I know it's been asked before, having searched the forums, but didn't find any specific checks or things to look out for so thought I'd ask here..

Have been toying with looking at this car:

http://www.skoda.net.r66.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=604824750

But am not sure if I should be worried about the towbar or the high mileage given that it's only 2yrs old. Apparently used to tow a classic Mini, although this is only from the dealer and so unconfirmed.

I understand the DSG gearboxes make good towing cars, although seen some threads about not towing on a diesel DSG.

Can anyone advise what to look out for or what I could test/check if I went to view it?

Well with a year left on the warranty you would have some coverage, plus I would be tempted to see if they would extend in as part of the deal.

Is this cheaper than others?

What is your annual mileage? Will you be sub 10 - 12 - if you were feeling extra cheeky you could try and get in touch with the previous owner to confirm the towing story. Towing alone wouldn't put me off if it had been well looked after otherwise.

Hey folks,

I know it's been asked before, having searched the forums, but didn't find any specific checks or things to look out for so thought I'd ask here..

Have been toying with looking at this car:

http://www.skoda.net.r66.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=604824750

But am not sure if I should be worried about the towbar or the high mileage given that it's only 2yrs old. Apparently used to tow a classic Mini, although this is only from the dealer and so unconfirmed.

I understand the DSG gearboxes make good towing cars, although seen some threads about not towing on a diesel DSG.

Can anyone advise what to look out for or what I could test/check if I went to view it?

We had the 2.0 elegance with dsg box . Done 59600 miles in 9 years of which towing 1340 klg caravan in France and uk. Last year the box started to have surges and then you could not press the gas because it shuddered . So in it went and Skoda done the oil in gearbox which they thougth it would cure it, even though it was not due for one.First 600 miles it was good and then it returned to surging. Back it went and after couple of weeks they said new box , but there was not one available in uk , it would have to come from Skoda factory.Cost nearly £4000 . So sold it .Regarding towing with dsg, its the best thing since sliced bread. Around 30 mpg when towing and over the nine years 42 mpg that including the towing figure.

Thanks guys.

I don't intend on doing any towing myself so I'd remove the visible neck as soon as I got it, hopefully making the car rear look OEM.

My mileage shouldn't be over the 12k average, and depending on work circumstances could be as little as 5-6k a year so the average will drop over time. That said I just don't want to be looking at big maintenance bills in a year or so due to the extra wear from towing with previous owner.

I know the DSG box needs oil change every £40k so should have been done on that car recently. I may go and take a look at it at some point but if there is anything I can check for wear if I do, tips on what to look for would be great.

Thanks!

Does a tower really put people off? My Vrs estate has a towbar but has never been used for towing, it was fitted to mount a bike rack and thats all its been used for. When the tow ball is removed you wouldn't even know it existed.

Worst case scenario they could have been towing a horse trailer or similar all over the country and it just puts extra strain and stress on thr drivetrain, additional wear above normal.

When you don't know for certain, I always opt for the more pessimistic view - just don't know if I'm being overly cautious. I suppose the warranty is certainly something to bear in mind.

Wouldn't say the mileage is really that high...23k a year? I've had less issues from buying high mileage cars than ones with below average. You tend to find the higher mileage ones have an easier life as they are generally used on motorways more. Low mileage cars tend to have more wear and tear due to stop/start driving. Good spec of car and still plenty of life left in it.

Towbar puts me off cars, might well be unjustified but I assume the engine and clutch will have had a much harder life.

Mileage in itself wouldn't worry me if the service book was up to date and the rest of the car was well cared for.